This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices.

Last updated by stanislavR 6 years, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Amit.

Author Posts
August 28, 2013 at 9:50 pm #158612

Predrag

Hi, How to set up both transliterate ?
Thanks
Pedja

August 29, 2013 at 8:14 am #158700

Amit
Supporter

Good morning,

To add a language you should go to WPML->Languages click on the 'Edit Languages' link in the 'Site Languages' section, then on the 'Edit Languages' page click on the 'Add Language' button, add all the necesary details (for the flag images you should look at the res/flag folder) and now save.

Cheers!

August 29, 2013 at 8:43 am #158718

Predrag

Hi Amit,

It's not what I asked, Language is Serbian, which I set already, but there are two alphabets for my language, Latin and Cyrillic
example : English About us - > Serbian Latin : O nama , Serbian Cyrillic : О нама

August 29, 2013 at 9:16 am #158731

Amit
Supporter

Yes I understand. I think the best would be to set a 'dummy' language for one of them as I have explained earlier and then assign the alphabet you desire for each. Does that makes sense to you ? If I didn't understand exactly what you meant please let me know.

Cheers!

August 29, 2013 at 9:32 am #158743

Predrag

Sorry Amit I'm newbie to wordpress, I guess you explained in some other topic how to add 'dummy' language, is there a tutorial on setting dummy language and alphabets

Thanks Amit!

August 29, 2013 at 9:43 am #158752

Amit
Supporter

No problem,

What I meant is that you set another language with WPML - go to WPML->Languages click on the 'Edit Languages' link in the 'Site Languages' section, then on the 'Edit Languages' page click on the 'Add Language' button, add all the necesary details (for the flag images you should look at the res/flag folder) and now save. and with this new 'language' you have the possibility to add your content in the chracters you want. So you end up with 2 Serbian vesions of your site.

Cheers!

August 29, 2013 at 10:37 am #158780

Milenko

Hi Pedja and Amit!
I think, what Pedja is asking is how to make BOTH alphabet of the same language available for visitors. Serbian is special language because it use both Latin and Cyrillic alphabet, with exact same spelling in both alphabets.

Pedja, have you tried SrbTransLatin WP plugin? (http://wordpress.org/plugins/srbtranslatin)
This plugin will transliterate serbian Cyrillic to Latin. So it means - you can have everything in Cyrillic, and user can choose to display it in Latin if she/he wants. Or the other way around. So you can display a choice for visitors: Latin / Cyrillic.

It is little advanced to put this in a WPML language-choice menu, but it is possible too with some coding. I would do like this: the Latin/Cyrillic choice menu would be visible ONLY to visitors who already choose "Serbian". So in pages or posts that you make for Serbian language, you can have this extra little link/choice: Cyrillic/Latin. For other languages - this is not visible.

I use it with WPML and it works just fine!

Regards,
Misko

August 29, 2013 at 11:38 am #158814

Predrag

Thanks Milenko I'll give it a shot. That's exactly what I need !
Is there a possibility to add my languages to list of languages in wpml. Perhaps to override some methods, functions whatever... Anyone done it before? Little bit of coding never hurt anybody 🙂

Hvala,
pozdrav

August 30, 2013 at 6:44 am #159024

Amit
Supporter

Hi,

I see - so this is a very specific issue for Serbian, and you can use the solution suggested by Milenko then, still as I said WPML can be used for that - you anyway show the user only one version of the language - and they can choose to navugate to the other Serbian version using the normal language switcher.

@Milenko - thanks I'll keep that in mind for future Serbian language tickets.

Cheers!

July 1, 2014 at 6:01 pm #428610

georgeP-2

any updates on this???? alot of people need it :))

January 25, 2016 at 10:05 am #795380

Matija

Hi, I need a latin version of Serbian. WPML only has Cyrillic version. Is there an update for this?

August 4, 2016 at 5:35 pm #990635

cvijetinovicV

Hi, I need a latin version of Serbian. WPML only has Cyrillic version. 🙁

November 19, 2016 at 12:19 pm #1139848

Milos Mitrovic

Hey guys,
Are you considering changing Serbian language alphabet from Cyrilic to Latin?
I know it must be lot of work for you but it might attract more clients. I was close to not purchasing your plug-in because of this issue.
I don't even understand why you made it in Cyrilic in the first place. If I write in Cyrilic I wont have any readers in Bosnia and Croatia, and that's half of the potential readership.
Please let us know if there are any plans on changing this unfortunate situation...
Greetings from Barcelona,
Milos

April 8, 2018 at 10:04 pm #1569372

draganS-4

I need latin too

October 4, 2018 at 1:10 pm #2787609

kataK

Thank you @Milenko. It is the best solution right now.