This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 20 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
April 10, 2019 at 11:19 pm #3581875

goranL-2

I am trying to: create website (fresh install) using Elementor (Jupiter x theme)

After some work on website, some part of wp-admin stopped working (customizer) + high CPU and memory load

I was checking with theme author (artbees) but it seems it's related to WPML
Because when I go to migrate site to another (staging) url - using Search and Replace web interface throw error on wp_options, so I tried with Search and Replace CLI and I got lot errors (see image attached) and script never ends - eating lot of CPU and memory

After I Reset WPML (delete WPML tables and deactivate plugin) both Search and Replace script is working and wp-admin (and customizer) is working again as it should...

Is this known bug? Hope it will be solved very soon because I have few more websites with similar plugin/theme setup where I'll need to add wpml.

2) Also, after Reset WPML (which removes wpml tables and deactivate wpml plugin) I'm having lot of errors (attachment 02) - How can I fix this quickly?

If you need I Can send you privately screen recording (YT url where you can see how issues start and how impossible it's working with this issues)

April 11, 2019 at 9:19 am #3585563

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

Based on these descriptions, am I correct if I am seeing multiple related/non related issues? I am also thinking on how to approach this - how to replicate.

Perhaps it would be best if you, based on this:

After some work on website, some part of wp-admin stopped working (customizer) + high CPU and memory load

create a Duplicator package so that I could test locally and/or send to our 2nd tier for debugging? Another possibility would be if I create a Cloudways server WordPress installation where you can do you work and possibly emulate how to get to the point where issues are happening, so that our team could inspect.

Let me know if you are interested in going with Cloudways and I will set up the site for you.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 11, 2019 at 10:27 am #3586077

goranL-2

Hi,

Thank you for quick reply.

Well it seems all issues that seems related/non related are most likely related to WPML

I'll try to explain what I was doing
- Few months ago I took backup from live site (with older version of WP, WPML... - updates were done every few months on that website)
- Restored website on staging/dev url and server
- Upgrade to WP 5
- update everything to latest version
- client decided to change entire parent theme... new parent theme installed, created child theme...
- modifying pages using elementor (change was from VisualComposer based theme to Elementor based theme)
- few more updates in the meantime
- as I was working on editing pages, using wp theme customizer, elementor - strange things start to happen like
-- I can't open theme customizer (taking very long to load, using 100% CPU and lot of memory
-- frontend loads very long
-- when I open page in Elementor it take longer (elementor showing notice to try Safe mode)...
- few rounds of restoring different backups resulted with same issues (at some point I maybe think about WPML - it's possible that issues started after one of WPML updates - but it seems I ignored that idea at that moment)
- Contacted theme developer (Artbees) - so far they did not find any theme issue

- after trying some server tweaks (suggested by artbees) nothing really changed, at the end I had same issues
- I decide to go with fresh install... fresh WordPress install, fresh theme and child theme install, fresh plugins install... fresh WPML install.. creating fresh pages, post...
- while I was recreating pages I think everything was working ok
- few rounds of update in the meantime (to WP 5.1.1 and to latest ver of WPML few days ago)
- until I get to header
- I have created Elementor template (header)
- When I open customizer, assign custom header, Save changes and I have same issues again (trying to open customizer again takes forever, elementor showing Safe mode notice...)
- So I contacted theme dev again (waiting for their feedback at the moment)
- Ok, I restored backup (backup from phase before I created custom elementor Header)... same steps after restored backup is resulting with same issues...
- I took working backup (before custom header) and migrate to different url
- Using Search and Replace (Web UI) to adjust URL in DB failed... tried few times and it's failing on wp_options table, error log shows it trying to allocate more than 1GB memory (backup sql file is 2-3MB - so it's small db as it's almost fresh install)
- Using Search and Replace (CLI) is showing infinite loop of errors - you can see in attached image
"...incomplete object... ...Please ensure that the class definition "WPML_Notice" of the object you are trying to operate on was loaded _before_ underialize().."

- Similar error for "WPML_Taxonomy_Translation_Help_Notice" and for "WPML Notice_Render" and for "WPML_WP_API....
- So At this point I also can't change URL in DB with Search and Replace
- What I did - In wp-admin under WPML - Support - Troubleshoot, there is RESET option which deleted WPML tables and deactivate WPML plugin
- After I did Reset WPML I was able to adjust URL using Search and Restore both Web UI and CLI without errors... I guess WPML did something to corrupt DB?? wp_options table
- this last instance with wpml tables deleted and wpml deactivated is working OK now,
- with one Warning (maybe clue what went wrong?) Notice is visible on backend when I edit custom header in elementor
"Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in wp-includes/post-template.php on line 293"

- at the same time there is error log on srv (attached image 02)
"Wordpress database error Table 'dbname.wp_icl_translations' doesn't exist for query SELECT...."

- On same hosting I have 2-3 dev websites (without WPML at the moment - but plan to have WPML on few) with same theme/plugins... and everything work great without WPML (including custom header, customizer, elementor)...
It seems to me that WPML (maybe some previous version) did something to corrupt DB?

I have zip with files and .sql db backup I can provide that to you. Is it safe to share link here? I don't want it to be public

April 11, 2019 at 11:43 am #3586843

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

It seems to me that WPML (maybe some previous version) did something to corrupt DB?

This could be possible, yes. Can you tell if you can create a Duplicator package of the site with issues so that we can debug and see what's behind the scenes? I am not sure which site version of all of the above you should send me, so I suggest that you make a Duplicator clone of the site that you think we should debug.

This one would make sense to me - let me know if you think otherwise.

-- I can't open theme customizer (taking very long to load, using 100% CPU and lot of memory
-- frontend loads very long

I have marked your next reply private so you can safely add this information - Duplicator link and wp-admin info.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Please make a full backup of your site before sharing this info!

You can use plugins such as UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup Plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/) or ask your host to perform a site backup.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 11, 2019 at 3:04 pm #3589549

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Any chance you can create a Duplicator package out of this broken setup? I am quite struggling with importing "backup_001_broken.sql" into my localhost (latest XAMPP). I've matched utf8mb4_unicode_ci collation but to no avail, so I suspect that it will take quite time to get this working, so having a Duplicator package would speed up thing for certain.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 12, 2019 at 7:13 am #3595461

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I am getting this error at the moment, will try later.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 12, 2019 at 8:59 am #3596681

goranL-2

Ok try now ..I was updating server packages...

You can also download via FTP (you have FTP login details)

Thanks

April 12, 2019 at 9:55 am #3597349

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I was able to restore it now. I've opened Customizer and saved a header (see the image). I've also recorded a video after this:
hidden link

Nothing is being broken and I see no safe mode notice.

I tried to emulate through this:

- When I open customizer, assign custom header, Save changes and I have same issues again (trying to open customizer again takes forever, elementor showing Safe mode notice...)

Can you tell me what should I do next?

I am picking only this in debug.log

[12-Apr-2019 09:32:34 UTC] PHP Warning:  count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /opt/lampp/htdocs/varazdin/wp-includes/post-template.php on line 293
[12-Apr-2019 09:40:50 UTC] PHP Warning:  count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /opt/lampp/htdocs/varazdin/wp-includes/post-template.php on line 293

Not sure if it helps, but this is my setup:

Apache 2.4.38, MariaDB 10.1.38, PHP 7.3.3 + SQLite 2.8.17/3.7.17 + multibyte (mbstring) support,

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 12, 2019 at 12:50 pm #3599069

goranL-2

Hi,

Thanks for quick test.
In your video WPML is disabled... (last thing I did is 'WPML reset' option in troubleshot section - based on doc that function deletes WPML talbes from DB and deavtivate plugin)

If you can try to Activate WPML plugin, and then go to Customizer and try:
- Change header from Custom to Default (Publish; close customizer;)
- open customizer again and try to eg. add some gfont in typo section (Publish; close customizer)
- open customizer again try to change header from default to custom again...
.. repeat something like this few times (with WPML activated)

I think after few times (not frist time) opening customizer and making changes (while WPML is ACTIVATED), something go wrong with wp_options table

Error from debug log is resulted by issues we're trying to fix... that error appear after I did WPML reset.. if you check apache log you find another error (which I send you in first message as attachment 02... Something like: WordPress database error... wp_icl_translations' doesn't exist for query SELECT ....

If you can please try to play around with customizer and elementor while WPML is ACTIVATED..

I you need, I can provide you api key for theme if you want to give it a try doing fresh install by yourself...

April 12, 2019 at 2:45 pm #3600023

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I am sorry about that - I did not check settings and though that the site is set already. I've did this few times:

- Change header from Custom to Default (Publish; close customizer;)
- open customizer again and try to eg. add some gfont in typo section (Publish; close customizer)
- open customizer again try to change header from default to custom again...
.. repeat something like this few times (with WPML activated)

And everything works the same, nothing is picked up in debug.log. WPML wasn't set at all and both Translation Management and String Translation were not installed, and these are required for the Elementor to be translated.

The best way for me to resume this is that you send me the broken site - so the one that already has all these issues. You could try disabling all the plugins, leaving only Duplicator active and then resend me the link so that I can debug or send to our 2nd tier.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 15, 2019 at 8:25 am #3611013

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I not feeling comfortable exposing screen recordings, debug logs... which may contain sensitive data and public

Only chats can be hidden in full and not the whole threads. However, I can mark each of you replies private, that's not a problem.

* it seems Duplicator can't recreate 100% identical duplicate of website (especially when DB is corrupted because of issues)

I may have a better idea in this case - how about you try to emulate this directly on our testing server, which we can use then to escalate to 2nd tier directly? I will post all the login information in the next reply and do there whatever you need.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 15, 2019 at 7:16 pm #3615925

goranL-2

Hi,

Today Artbees released new version of Jupiter X
There is some WPML related bugfixes in changelog:
hidden link

Can you wait day or two with this - I need to finish some urgent tasks and as soon as I finish them I'll try to replicate bug using latest Jupiter x version.

I don't want to waste your time if this is bug in theme.

Please give me day or two...
If I manage to replicate bug on localhost I'll try to replicate it on your instance

I'll update you...

Regards,
Goran

April 16, 2019 at 9:29 am #3620471

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi Goran,

Can you wait day or two with this - I need to finish some urgent tasks and as soon as I finish them I'll try to replicate bug using latest Jupiter x version.

It is you who decide the pace of this ticket :).

There is some WPML related bugfixes in changelog:

From what I see, they mention:
Bug Fix : Missing wpml-config.xml issue in WPML.

Not sure if this is related to issues you're having, but let's see.

If I manage to replicate bug on localhost I'll try to replicate it on your instance

This is definitely the best course we go from here - that will save us from all the trouble that occur during migrations.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 23, 2019 at 7:24 pm #3667209

goranL-2

Ok, I've installed theme and wpml on your cloudways instance..
And managed to reproduce issue.

Right now you have broken instance (you cannot open customizer)

btw. last info from theme devs is that it's possible that bug is on their side, they are investigating and if it's bug in theme it should be fixed in next release... Feel free to check that there is no bug in wpml causing this issue.

Thanks!

April 24, 2019 at 10:49 am #3671763

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Before I resume checking this, can you tell me if there is a reason why you didn't install String Translation, plugin and Translation Management, since these are needed for Elementor translations to work properly?

https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/elementor/#getting-started

Regards,
Bruno Kos