This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by TECS international 2 years, 10 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Joanna.

Author Posts
May 18, 2017 at 3:09 pm #1279402

TECS international

I am trying to: access the wpml language in the dashboard

hidden link

I expected to see: the language page for setting wpml options

Instead, I got: Internal server error

Steps to duplicate the issue: see above

Error started after update to 4.7.4. Also I installed a SSL certificate at that time.

May 19, 2017 at 1:23 pm #1280237

Joanna

Hello,

You mentioned that you get "Internal server error" but could you please tell what is the exact error message? Do you get the error with a specific number?

Also, please enable error logging. You can find more info on how to do it and example code for debugging at https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress#Example_wp-config.php_for_Debugging
In brief:
1. Log into your FTP.
2. Edit the wp-config.php file.
3. Add the following code:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
@ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

define( 'SCRIPT_DEBUG', true );

4. Save the file.
5. Go to the problematic page.
6. Go back to your FTP.
7. In the wp-content folder, you should find the debug.log file where all errors are added.

Also, check if there are any JavaScript errors.
https://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Your_Browser_to_Diagnose_JavaScript_Errors

Please paste the contents of the debug.log file if there are any errors listed. Let me also know if there are any JavaScript errors.

Also, I noticed that your WP Memory Limit is set to 40MB and the WPML's minimum requirement is to have it on 128MB. You can easily increase the memory allocated to PHP. You'll find more info about it at https://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP.
In brief:
1. Log into your FTP.
2. Edit the wp-config.php file.
3. Add the following code:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

4. Save the file.

This may not resolve your issue, but it may save you from a headache in the future when you will have possibly stumbled upon some unexpected issues.

All WPML minimum requirements are listed at https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/.

May 19, 2017 at 8:55 pm #1280631

TECS international

Hi Joanna,
Thanks for helping me out.

** The error message is:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. Please contact the server administrator to inform of the time the error occurred and of anything you might have done that may have caused the error. More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

** Added the debug code. The wp-content folder doesnot contain a debug.log file

** I find Java script errors, but have no idea what to do with those:
De tekenset van het HTML-document is niet gedeclareerd. Het document zal in sommige browserconfiguraties met onleesbare tekst worden weergegeven als het document tekens van buiten de US-ASCII-reeks bevat. De tekenset van de pagina dient in het document of in het overdrachtsprotocol te worden gedeclareerd. admin.php
SyntaxError: JSON.parse: expected double-quoted property name at line 1 column 46 of the JSON data GCTelemetry.jsm:194:16
SyntaxError: JSON.parse: expected double-quoted property name at line 1 column 46 of the JSON data GCTelemetry.jsm:194:16
SyntaxError: JSON.parse: expected double-quoted property name at line 1 column 46 of the JSON data[Meer info] GCTelemetry.jsm:194:16
SyntaxError: JSON.parse: expected double-quoted property name at line 1 column 46 of the JSON data[Meer info]

regards
Hans Huisman

May 22, 2017 at 4:15 pm #1281939

Joanna

Hello Hans,

From the error message you shared, we can see that there is a syntax error somewhere in the site's code but it's not clear where it comes from. It's possible that it's the cause of your issues.

If you can, please test your website with all non-WPML plugins deactivated and the default theme active, e.g. Twenty Seventeen (you may need to create a new menu and add the language switcher to it)? If not, please activate your plugins one by one and check each time if errors are back. If not, also activate your theme. If you use a child theme, activate the parent theme first.
This will help determine if it's not a compatibility issue (and if it is, which plugin or theme causes the issue).

If you cannot test it or the issue still occurs in the minimal environment mentioned above, I would like to ask you for credentials to your website and FTP. It will help me debug the issue and find the solution. You will find the fields for WordPress and FTP access below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. Your next reply will be private.