Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by hansN-10 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
November 16, 2021 at 10:45 am #10005133

hansN-10

Hello,

I am setting up my first woocommerce web store, and I bought the wpml multilingual cms plugin.

My shop is located in Sweden (Europe), and at first I plan to sell my products only to the countries in the European union. I wish to offer the languages Swedish and English in the web store, and the currencies Swedish Krona and Euro.

My questions:

Can the geolocation function in wpml help my store to sense from which country the visitor is coming, and:
-set up the correct language
-set up the correct currency
-set up the shipping cost correctly (as it will be cheaper shipping for a customer from my own country, than for a customer from another country)
-block visitors from countries to which I can not sell my products

What happens if the visitor is using a VPN? Will wpml still be able to tell from which country the visitor is coming?

Can you please tell me if these things are possible to do with wpml, and which support articles I should read to set things up?

Thanks!

November 17, 2021 at 1:08 am #10010211

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+02:00)

Hi there.

WPML has a redirect functionality that is based on the user's browser language (https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/automatic-redirect-based-on-browser-language/) and not geolocation.

You'd need a Geolocation plugin to do that. You can check our list of compatible plugins here:
https://wpml.org/plugin-functionality/geotargeting

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

November 22, 2021 at 8:23 pm #10046879

hansN-10

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!