This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.75 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
September 24, 2018 at 5:34 pm

saurabhC

I am trying to:

Set a different subdomain for a new language site. I followed the directions in the manual, set a new subdomain in cPanel to point to the root directory, then selected "A different domain per language" in the WPML settings, but I got a "not valid" response.

I also get the "It looks like languages per directories will not function" even though my .htaccess file has 644 permissions and mod_rewrite is enabled.

I'm hosted on SiteGround and have disabled their caching plugin.

If you'd like a login to WordPress, please let me know.

September 25, 2018 at 11:22 pm #2765339

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thank you for contacting us.

It looks like the subdomain was not created correctly. When I try to access the subdomain (hindi.thinkpragati.com), it appears that the page does not exist.

You must configure the subdomain in your control panel so that when you access your site, the default language site is displayed. Only after this, you should configure WPML.

You should double-check your subdomain settings to see why the subdomain is returning error 404, page not found.

Make sure to follow our documentation that shows you step-by-step how to configure your domain/subdomain: https://wpml.org/2016/04/use-wpml-different-domains-per-language/

Please, let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.

September 26, 2018 at 4:03 am #2765925

saurabhC

Hello. I contacted my hosting provider and got this fixed. hindi.thinkpragati.com now redirects to the main English site but the plugin still says "not valid".

September 26, 2018 at 11:34 am #2766973

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

Bruno is not available today, so I'll continue to handle this ticket. I hope that it is alright with you.

Sometimes the 'Validate on save' option gives a false message 'not valid' when it is actually working.
Can you please uncheck this option and then see if the problem persists?

If it does not help can you please proceed to the debugging procedure that is described at the bottom of the article?
https://wpml.org/2016/04/use-wpml-different-domains-per-language/
If
Do you get anything in the debug.log?
If so can you share it with me, please?

Thanks,
Itamar.

The topic ‘[Closed] Setting subdomain for language gives "not valid"’ is closed to new replies.