Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by hollyJ 8 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
October 18, 2021 at 10:52 am #9809231

hollyJ

Hi Alejandro,
This is very complicated as the thread is so long now. Please can we split this into:
1) setting up staging sites
2) translating testimonial rotators.

Staging sites:

I have registered my live site with an subscription for translation. I then destroyed the old staging site and created a new staging site.

I have ticked the details saying this is a copy of the live site. By doing this, does it mean it uses the licence key of the live site, ie I don't need to register this as a separate site (use another of my 3 license keys), I have read the knowledgebase and this is still not clear to me.

On the staging site I have followed Translation Management > copy migration code.

On the live site I have followed Translation Management > Connected sites > submit migration code However it asks me what to do with the site: Move, Copy, Nothing. Which of these should I choose? Can you expand as to what each of the options mean.

------------

2) Translation of testimonials
I have checked and the rotator is not the same ID.

2a) Should I put in the new id for the french rotator into the french page. I am confused as when I go to edit anything in the french side as it comes up with an overlay (see screengrab) 'Warning, you are trying to edit using the standard wordpress editor, but your site is configured to use the WPML translation editor', why does this keep happening? I presume on each occasion I should continue to use the translation editor as I think I read that if I don't, things won't sync properly.

2b) The french rotator doesn't have any testimonials in it - does this mean I then have to manually add new codes for each testimonial for the french rotator? If so how do I go about it?

2c) I still don't understand where it says 'Multilingual content setup' with three choices - see screengrab. Can you explain this further please.

Many thanks
Holly

October 18, 2021 at 11:41 am #9809649

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

We will only talk about the staging site question you had.

1) you don't necessarily need to create a new license everytime you recreate a staging site, since WPML will work with or without any license.

2) However WPML allows you to set 3 staging site licenses per license you have available.

this means that with the Multilingual CMS you can add up to 9 staging sites (3 x each license you can add to your site). and they will allow you to have the automatic updates, on both staging and live site.

hidden link

3) You mention:

I have ticked the details saying this is a copy of the live site. By doing this, does it mean it uses the licence key of the live site.

That notification comes from the Advanced Translation editor, and it's a totally different thing.

In the advanced translation editor, we offer something called "Translation memory", it's a feature embedded in that editor. the feature will work on the site but it will be stored on our servers, under the account that is created once you first activate the advanced translation editor for the first time.

when you move a site form one domain to the other you have 2 scenarios. Let's imagine "Site A" is you main domain site:

- Site A will disappear because you have moved it to Site B
- Site B will just be a copy of site A and both will be live, but Site B will be overwritten with Site A every now and then or it will be destroyed.

The notification mentioned above tries to understand if this site belongs to scenario 1 or 2, so it knows what to do.

I would suggest that on staging sites, you select "this is a copy of my live site" (second option from top to bottom), and if you are going to definitely migrate the staging site to production site or move the production site from one main domain to another, you select instead "i have moved my site to a new domain" (first option from top to bottom).

--------------------------

About the migration code procedure. you'd only need to copy the migration code in the staging site and paste it in the production site IF:

- You want to share the translations between sites
- You want to edit pages on the staging site that were previously translated on the production site

this is because all the translation memory remains in a "container" that belongs to a domain.
that container is unique per each domain and by connecting the site, you'll be able to share the content of that "container" between the different sites that were connected.

If a notification of what to do appears, you can select "move", in this case there's no difference, both will copy the content to the staging site.

Copy will just do it "once" while "move" will keep the translation memory in sync.

We are going to smooth out and improve this workflow in the future, to make it clearer.

October 19, 2021 at 10:43 am #9817087

hollyJ

Hi Alejandro,
I understand the details as outlined in your video, but I think what applies to me is the migration code :

'About the migration code procedure. you'd only need to copy the migration code in the staging site and paste it in the production site IF:

- You want to share the translations between sites
- You want to edit pages on the staging site that were previously translated on the production site'

The above is what I want to do with this site.

I just want to be clear about the second aspect:

'If a notification of what to do appears, you can select "move", in this case there's no difference, both will copy the content to the staging site.

Copy will just do it "once" while "move" will keep the translation memory in sync.'

Given that the method by which staging is pushed to live using Siteground is that it overwrites everything, I presume I will only need the migration code on the staging and live sites as the translation memory will be updated.

If we take an example like: I translate one page on the staging site and then push to live using Siteground. I presume that page will still exist in french and the WPML translation memory will have all of those details?

Have I understood this correctly?

In which case I should copy the migration code - and then select 'move'? This I presume means that in the event I destroy the staging site rather than push to live, any edits will not be reflected on the live site? But if I do push to live, the edits will be shown on the live site?

My alternative is to keep doing what I am doing (ie not link the sites) and just using staging for trialling and then go ahead and do what I have learnt on the live site?

Many thanks
Holly

October 19, 2021 at 3:38 pm #9820229

Alejandro
Supporter

As long as the sites are connected before you create a translation or edit a "past" translation, the content will be there on both sites, yes.

I'd suggest you test it out this way:

- Copy the migration code from the staging site and paste it on the live site so you can connect them

- Create a page on the live site with a random text and translate it
- Create a page on the staging site with the same random text and try to translate it (you should see it as already translated).

- Now do the inverse. create a page with a new random text on the staging site and translate it
- Create a new page on the live site with the same new random text and translate it. you'll see they appear translated.

This happens because as long as the pages are connected to each other, the translation memory will keep both sites "in sync" (so to speak).

-------------------------

I'm not sure exactly about what Siteground does when "pushing" a site from staging to live, but i suspect the database remains unmodified. if the database is the same on both pages, then you'll be fine by doing what i suggested above.

October 20, 2021 at 4:18 am #9823133

hollyJ

Hi Alejandro,
Did you mean to send me that second note? I don't use Elementor?

October 20, 2021 at 1:56 pm #9827725

Alejandro
Supporter

Hi there, sorry about that, i removed the message. can you please read the last one i sent, instead and let me know if it's clear or if you have other questions?

October 21, 2021 at 11:12 am #9835153

hollyJ

Hi Alejandro,

OK, before I do this, I presume I can disconnect the staging site from my account? Also I can see that my account seems to show that some of my plugins are out of date (see screengrab), although they are showing as up to date on the website, Why is this?
Many thanks

Screenshot 2021-10-21 at 12.11.23.png
October 21, 2021 at 3:13 pm #9837669

Alejandro
Supporter

Don't mind that WPML.org page, what you are seeing is cache doing its thing. after a few days or even a few hours, it will show everything correctly (We don't update that page very frequently to avoid sending too many requests from your site to ours and slowing your site down).

i wouldn't suggest you disconnect the page, you can leave it connected, it won't really create any problems, even if you migrate the site.

The easy way out here is to connect it and leave it connected, nothing bad will happen.

October 25, 2021 at 11:11 pm #9860193

hollyJ

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!