This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Dat Hoang 3 years, 10 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Dat Hoang.

Author Posts
May 13, 2016 at 2:36 am #881619

nourD

I am trying to: set up WPML for the first time on my website. My question is regarding what language should I choose for the Current content language. My wordpress is in english and my theme is in english, but the couple of posts that I have created are written in spanish. I want to translate the front end of the theme so that it shows in Spanish as the main language. And then have english and portuguese as options for that front end and posts and pages.
So... by currently having posts in spanish, but a theme that is in english. Which should I choose for Current content language?
Thank you.

URL of (my) website where problem appears:

I expected to see: I want to have Spanish as the main language in my currently english theme.

Instead, I got:

Steps to duplicate the issue:

May 13, 2016 at 3:57 pm #882316

Joanna

Hello @nourd,

Thank you for contacting our support. I'll be happy to assist you.

I assume that by "Current content language" you mean the default language. You should set it to the main language. In your case, it will be Spanish.

Regarding the theme strings, you'll need to:
0. Set Spanish as the default language.
1. Activate the WPML String Translation plugin.
2. Go to WPML->Theme and plugins localization.
3. Make sure that the "Translate the theme and plugins using WPML's String Translation" option is chosen.
4. Scroll down and find the "Scan the theme for strings" button.
5. When the process is finished, go to WPML->String Translation. Theme strings should be preceded by the British flag.

If the flag is not British, check the StringTranslation.png image and follow the steps below:
A. Filter by the theme domain.
B. Display all results.
C. Check all strings.
D. Click the "Change language of selected strings" button (it probably be in Spanish though).
The pop-up window will appear. Choose English from the drop-down menu and save.

Now, everything should be as you want it to be.
If you have any more questions or doubts, do not hesitate to ask.

May 20, 2016 at 3:49 pm #887236

nourD

Hi Joanna

Thank you. Everything seems to work fine. I have been able to translate most of the front end except for the Comments section. My theme support tells me that the theme uses the default WordPress comments feature, and they told me to look under WPML strings but those words are not showing on my strings. I wonder if I'm looking in the wrong place. I have not uploaded any translation document for WordPress since I was only translating front end. I have only use the words that the string is pulling out for me. Any advice? Thank you for your help and patience,
Nj.

May 23, 2016 at 8:11 am #887898

Dat Hoang

Hello @nourd,

Joanna is on her vacation. I'm eager to continue assisting you.

If this is true "My theme support tells me that the theme uses the default WordPress comments feature", then you need to translate WordPress core strings.

Document: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/theme-localization/ , section "Getting Translation Files for WordPress Itself". The video in this document may be helpful for you as well.

May 28, 2016 at 1:12 pm #892119

nourD

Hi!

Thank you for the reply. I followed the instructions and downloaded the WordPress cores strings and it seemed like it downloaded translated files/strings in the two languages that I need, but as soon as it did and I refreshed the website, all the translations I had made for the theme are back to english and even the comment section is still in english, so I know it's not picking up the any translated strings. Please help (panic mode on) 🙂
Thank you once again for the patience.
Nj

May 30, 2016 at 5:52 am #892496

Dat Hoang

I'm not sure what you mean "I refreshed the website".
However, based on your words, I understand that the strings worked fine before?

If so, please go to WPML > Theme and Plugins localization > Select "Translate the theme and plugins using WPML's String Translation".

-------------

I'm making this ticket "Resolved" because we're discussing another issue that is different from the original issue in your first post here.

Please open a new ticket for the new problem if my suggestion above does not help. In each ticket, we focus on only one problem. That helps others with the same problem find the solution quickly.