This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Ricardo Alday 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Ricardo Alday.

Author Posts
October 10, 2018 at 11:12 pm #2805960

johnC-45

Trying to change my site from Chinese Simplified to Japanese. Already have all the japanese translations completed and posted but they are in as Chinese and would like to change to japanese.

hidden link

October 11, 2018 at 3:24 pm #2808962

Ricardo Alday

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.
If the page is in the default language and does not have translations you can simply change the language of the page in the "Languages" panel. See the attached image below as a reference.

This would only work if for example, the default language of the page is Chinese (even if the content is in Japanese) but you have not created any translations via WPML.

In the case, where you have another default language, for example, Englis as default and Chinese as secondary language, and the page has Japanese content in the Chinese translation, the process would be as follows:
1. Backup your database first.
2. Go to WPML -> Language, and add Japanese
3. "Translate" the page from Chinese into Japanese. Since the content is already in Japanese you can simply use the "Copy content from Chinese" button.

Once you're done, you can erase all the "Chinese" translations.

Hope that helps,
Ricardo

October 11, 2018 at 4:58 pm #2809218

johnC-45

Hi Ricardo

Thanks for that. I am working on the second scenario: English as default and Chinese as secondary language, and the page has Japanese content in the Chinese translation, the process would be as follows...

Don't see the option to make a copy from the chinese. Attached is a screenshot.
I did try the duplicate option but it duplicated the english not the chinese.

October 11, 2018 at 5:52 pm #2809368

Ricardo Alday

You will see the button to copy the content when you click the + sign in the "Translate this Document" section shown in your screenshot.

The topic ‘[Closed] Setup translation as Chinese but need to change it to Japanese’ is closed to new replies.