Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 3 years, 7 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
May 9, 2018 at 9:34 am #2047877

Alex Paulsen

Hello,

I need some help. I am managing a large website using WooCommerce, WPML and Yoast SEO.

When looking through crawl-reports for the site, there are reports of several faulty URL’s, that have never existed on the site. They are a mix of product-slugs from one language, and the product names of another language. See image. For example:

site.com/product-slug-from-default-language/productname-from-translated-language.

In other cases, the URL is correct, except that the language code is missing. The URL's have never existed like these faulty ones, it's like they are just mixed up altogether.

This happens a lot for the Swedish language in this case, and I checked, that WPML is using SV as country code. Sp that should be alright.

The big problem is that Google thinks these faulty URL's should exist, and regards them as errors. I can't figure out if this is caused by Yoast or WPML. I now have supportcases both here and with Yoast to determine where the errors are coming from.

I hope you can help me out, this has got me very puzzled.

Best regards,
Alex

g-cr-rp.jpg
May 10, 2018 at 8:24 am #2067426

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+02:00)

Hi.

Thank you for contacting the WPML support forum.

Do these wrong URL also appears in your site's sitemaps?
your-domain.com/sitemap_index.xml

Regards,
Itamar.

May 14, 2018 at 9:53 am #2114939

Alex Paulsen

Hello,

Thank you for replying til my issue,

Yes, the faulty URL's that is shown on the enclosed image, also show up in the sitemap + a bunch more. Particularly the Swedish product URL's seem to be badly affected by the error, and again, I don't know how or why this is happening.

The main language is Danish. Since the Danish and Swedish 'product'-slugs are spelled the same, I can't see whether the faulty URL's are caused by a 'product'-slug-issue, or if it just the langauge-code - /sv/ - that just isn't there.
When I attempt to click on of the faulty Swedish URL's, I am (so far) redirected to the correct Swedish URL, though.

I have another issue as well. At some point, WPML has somehow switched the product-slug for English without telling me. I found out by coincidence after some time, that all English single-product-pages now uses the Danish product-slug, '/produkt/. When I try to fix this, everything in English stops working.
What is the best way to fix this problem, so the English '/product/'-slug comes back on the Englsih single-product-pages without triggered a huge pile of 404's?

Thanks for your assistance.

Best regards,
Alex

May 15, 2018 at 9:54 am #2135025

Itamar
Supporter

Hi and thanks for the extra details.

I'm consulting our second tier supporters about this issue.
I'm not sure if the second point (product slug in English changed) is related to this issue but I've also mentioned it to our second tiers.

I'm waiting for their reply and will update you here when I have it.

Thanks,
Itamar.

May 15, 2018 at 3:53 pm #2143977

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

I've discussed this with our second tier supporter, and I think that it would be best if I check things on your site.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated.
You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.
Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved, I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.
** IMPORTANT **
- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields, this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

Thanks,
Itamar.

May 17, 2018 at 3:52 pm #2179216

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Alex.

I've made a copy of your site and sent it to our second-tier supporter to continue debugging the problem.

We'll keep you updated here.

Thank you for your patience,
Itamar.

May 18, 2018 at 6:56 am #2186524
Alex Paulsen

Hi, Itamar,

Thanks for the update, I'll keep an eye on my e-mail for replay.

Meanwhile, I've come across another issue about the Swedish translations, that I would like your to check out.

When updating a Swedish translation in 'WooCommerce Multilingual', and 'Save and close' it, the translation disappears. The '+' is showing at the 'WooCommerce Multilingual' product-overview, as if there never was a translation at all. When I click the + to open it, the updated description from before is still there, but most of the meta-data (alt-tags, keyword entry, meta description) is gone and has to be entered again. When clicking 'Save and close' again, the translation is updated and works.

This happens every time a Swedish translation is updated.

Beware:
When testing this on your test-site, it is important that you remove the text in the product category section at the bottom of the translation management screen, before you click 'Save and close'. Otherwhise, this will trigger a bug between WPML and the plugin 'Enhanced Category Pages', which causes the content of the translation will be outputted to the category page instead of the product page. I've previously created support tickets about this issue.

I appreciate your efforts to get the bottom of these issues.

Best regards,
Alex

New threads created by Itamar and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-when-updating-a-swedish-product-translation-the-translation-disappears/

May 21, 2018 at 2:08 pm #2201907

Itamar
Supporter

This issue is escalated to our second tier supporter.

May 22, 2018 at 2:23 pm #2208898

Alex Paulsen

Hi, Itamar,

So your second tier supporter will reply on this ticket ? 🙂

May 22, 2018 at 4:30 pm #2210438

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

It might be our second tier supporter or me.
You see, it depends on the case.
Most probably it will be me again passing you the second tier reply or request for action.

Thanks,
Itamar.

May 30, 2018 at 7:26 am #2249211

Alex Paulsen

Hello,

I'm still waiting for a response. Could you please update me on this issue?

BR,
Alex

May 30, 2018 at 11:13 am #2250748

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Alex.

Our second tier supporter has debugged this issue and found that the sitemap is not wrong and those pages do exist. We take for example the following page. It is the first page that shows on your screenshot from the initial post.
/site-url//produkt/skenor-flera-faerger/
It can be edited from this link (replace site-url with your domain).
/site-url/wp-admin/post.php?post=8699&action=edit&lang=da
This product is not translated to any language.
Initially, it was redirecting to the Swedish (SV) product, but when our second tier has updated Yoast and WCML, it is accessible.
So it seems that for some reason that is not related to WPML you have some pages/posts/products in the default language that are not translated and also show on the sitemap.

Can you see it now?
Do you approve our second tier findings?

Thanks,
Itamar.

May 30, 2018 at 11:37 am #2250778

Alex Paulsen

Hello Itamar,

I see that the URL exists, but I still don't understand how it was created. This URL in your example is a complete mix-up of Swedish and Dansh information. How does that happen, when the prodcut has a Danish original and a Swedish translation?

Please look at the enclosed images to compare.

h swedish OK.jpg
h faulty url mix content.jpg
h Danish OK.jpg
May 30, 2018 at 5:35 pm #2252722

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

I see what you mean.
I've sent your reply to our second tier, and I'm waiting for his reply.
I'll keep you updated here.

May 31, 2018 at 9:42 pm #2258932

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

Our second tier supporter says that a mix up like that could happen if someone intentionally or not put Swedish content in a Danish page. We can see that this page was created by the peoplez user on 2017-08-21 08:20:11 and does not have any translation it is a standalone page. You can simply delete this page, and the other pages that you do not need and this will solve the issue.

Please let me know if it is OK with you.

Thanks,
Itamar.

The topic ‘[Closed] Several faulty product URL's outputted to crawling and sitemap’ is closed to new replies.