Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
July 28, 2020 at 6:06 am

thomasW-84

Several questions about WPML

July 28, 2020 at 6:11 am
July 28, 2020 at 6:13 am #6688587

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hi,
We will continue from here 🙂

I'm sorry for not answering you in the chat but I saw your last message right after I clicked the button to convert the chat into a ticket.

I will take a look at all of the issues and I will do my best to answer them all.

Regards,
Carlos

July 28, 2020 at 6:15 am #6688589

thomasW-84

Hi Carlos,

Sure, no problem. I was too fast 😉
Thanks in advance for your help. Talk to you later.

Have a nice day,
Thomas

July 28, 2020 at 6:33 am #6688659

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

1.- The cause of the 404 redirections is the ' 404page - your smart custom 404 error page' plugin. Once you deactivate it the issue will go away.

I would recommend you to use another plugin for this matter. In this link you will find a list of multilingual-ready plugins validated by our compatibility team: https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/

2.- These are custom fields and can be translated by following the steps described in this page: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-custom-fields/

3.- In the case of the footer, it seems that WPML is not fetching some of the elements correctly. To be able to translate these elements correctly via a Translation Editor you will need to 'register' them using a Language Configuration File: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/language-configuration-files/#page-builder-content

4.- The issue of the grid seems to be the same as the previous point.

5.- Do I just switch to the German backend and go to the edit mode of the German page for this? -> Yes.

Also, you can create the page in German and then manually connect it (as a translation) to the corresponding Engish page.

6.- Same issue as points 3 and 4 🙂

Please let me know if you need further assistance.
Best regards,
Carlos

July 28, 2020 at 8:45 am #6689513

thomasW-84

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for your super quick help 🙂
Here's an update from my side.

01. Language switcher in the top navigation menu does not work
The 404 plugin I'm currently using is the one of the recommended plugins by WPML.
See screenshot 01. I like it, because it is super easy compared to the other plugins.

02. Page settings are lost upon creating a translation
I guess this is a misunderstanding. I don't want to translate fields here. I want to keep the page settings (style, like header or footer styles) from the original page.
These seetings get lost for the translated version (German) during the translated process.
See screenshot 02.

03. How to create a translation of a custom footer
Working with the language configuration file unfortunately exceeds my skills.
Is there anyone who could help me with this?

Or does this alternative work:
In the backend I could switch to the to the edit mode of the German version, and replace the texts and the form manually. Is this the correct way, or is there a better one?

04. Featured image not visible in German grid
This might also be a misunderstanding. The features image of the other blogposts appear correctly in the grid on the translated page.
Just one single item does not the featured image.
See screenshot 04.
URL of the post: hidden link

05. How to change the page layout of the translated page after a translation
Cool, thanks for the hint.
Could you please explain, how to add a German version and manually connect it to the English version afterwards?

06. Buttons with links don't appear in translation string view
As with 03, working with the language configruation file unfortunately exceeds my skills. Is there anyone who could help me with this?

Regards,
Thomas

July 28, 2020 at 9:38 am #6690219

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Thomas,
Thank you very much for your feedback.

1.- I just tested the 404 plugin in a fresh new WordPress installation and it's working correctly with WPML, which means that the cause of the issue is not a compatibility problem with WPML. in this scenario I would recommend you to contact the author of the plugin and explain him the problem, he should be able to assist you.

You can also follow these steps and try to isolate the cause of the issue:
- Create a full backup of the site
- Update any outdated plugin and theme
- Flush any cache memory that might exists
- Deactivate all plugins except WPML ones and the 404 plugin
- Activate a default WordPress theme, like Twenty Twenty
- If the issue disappeared, start by activating the theme and then the rest of the plugins one-by-one until you find the culprit.

2.- Yes, those settings are custom fields and need to be set to 'Copy' by following the documentation shared: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-custom-fields/

3.- I will take a deeper look at this on your site

4.- I'm sorry, I misunderstood the issue. Please follow these steps:
- Edit the post in the default language (hidden link) -> In the right column, under the Language block -> Check the 'Duplicate featured image to translations' -> Save the changes -> Update the translation.

5.- Once you create a page in German you can connect it as a translation for a page in English in an option that will appear in the Languages block of the right column.

Note: The available pages for connecting in English will be the ones that don't have a translation.

6.- I will take a deeper look at this on the site.

Regards,
Carlos

July 28, 2020 at 9:48 am #6690291

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Thomas,

I just added the XML code for the missing elements in the points 3 and 6. You can find this code in WPML -> Settings -> Custom XML Configuration tab.

Regards,
Carlos

July 28, 2020 at 2:10 pm #6693379

thomasW-84

Hi Carlos,

Thanks again for your great help. That was a lot of progress today 🙂
Points 3-6 are solved now.

01. Language switcher in the top navigation menu does not work
I've replaced the 404page plugin with the 404to301 plugin. Both are part of your recommended plugins.
This solved the issue with the language switcher in the main navigation. This works now.
But when my custom 404 page loads, it always loads in English. So if a user enters a non-existend URL in the /de/ subfolder, he still gets to the English 404 page.
The customer 404 page is available in English and German. But the German translation will not load. Any ideas on this?

02. Page settings are lost upon creating a translation
"Yes, those settings are custom fields and need to be set to 'Copy' by following the documentation shared: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-custom-fields/"
In understand the process. But I don't know which custom fields are the right ones. Any ideas?

03. How to create a translation of a custom footer
---Solved. Works now, thanks to your change in the Custom XML Configuration tab.

04. Featured image not visible in German grid
---Problem solved. The "duplicate featured image" worked. Thanks!

05. How to change the page layout of the translated page after a translation
---Solved, too. Thanks for that.

06. Buttons with links don't appear in translation string view
---Solved. Works now, thanks to your change in the Custom XML Configuration tab.

Regards,
Thomas

July 29, 2020 at 9:48 am #6698647

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Thomas,
I'm glad to hear that we are moving forward 🙂

1.- Regarding this point, I kindly ask you to open a new chat ticket describing the issue because it will need further debugging steps (and probably we will need to escalate it to our 2nd tier of support) and because we should have only one ticket per issue then it will be better to have this problem with the 404 page in a separate ticket.

Thank you for your understanding.

2.- Regarding the custom fields. I recommend you to read the documentation, there you will find how to translate or copy the values of these custom fields to the secondary language.

I took another look at the pages and the custom fields are already set to be copied to the secondary language, so if the issue persists with a new page then I also recommend you to open a new ticket or chat, because this might be caused by a compatibility problem between the theme and WPML.

Note: I'm sorry for not being more helpful in this message but according to our forum/chat rules there must be only one issue per ticket and in this one, we had 6 different problems. One issue per ticket will allow future clients to find answers to similar questions in the future and you will get a better support experience too.

Regards,
Carlos

July 31, 2020 at 8:51 am #6713587

thomasW-84

90% have been solved. I'll move the rest into a separate ticket. Very satisfying support by Carlos. Thank you!

July 31, 2020 at 9:16 am #6713783

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Thomas,
Thank you very much for your message and your understanding 🙂

Please don't hesitate to open a new ticket/chat with the remaining questions, we will be more than happy to keep assisting you.

Best regards,
Carlos