This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: shortcode not working on translated page

Solution: the issue seems to be an old shortcode (older version of tribe) that is still supported, however, since it is not the PRO version, it will not render in any other page than /events/ slug which is why it won't work on the FR version of the page; I have used a simpler shortcode in the translated page to replace the full calendar version from the native page, as this is all that can be done w/o purchasing PRO.

Relevant Documentation:

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by robertT-24 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
August 1, 2019 at 9:08 pm #4325221

robertT-24

I am trying to: translate a page with a shortcode as the only content

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: the results of the shortcode rendered in the page

Instead, I got: the shortcode content itself [event-list link_to_event=false]

The plugin that renders the shortcode is called The Events Calendar v. 4.9.3.1
The shortcode renders correctly in original native english page

First, translator used the new translator editor to do the translation; while reviewing her work I noticed the issue and followed some similar forum threads to delete the translation, create new translation using duplicate page feature, hit Update again; nothing has worked to make the shortcode render in the french version of the page

August 1, 2019 at 9:21 pm #4325287

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi There,

The events calendar plugin is compatible with WPML

please review the following documentation and let me know your results

-> https://wpml.org/2018/08/the-events-calendar-plugin-and-wpml-are-officially-compatible/

=> https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/build-multilingual-events-websites-events-calendar-wpml/

were you able to add a translation by clicking on the "+" icon ?

i currently cannot view the French version of your site

August 1, 2019 at 9:32 pm #4325295

robertT-24

Hi Bobby, unfortunately the links you provided don't resolve my issue. There are currently no events to be translated, and thus, on the english side, the default view is show, but on the french version only the shortcode appears.. the literal text of the shortcode. so the shortcode is not being rendered.

french is currently hidden, i will temporarily enable it for you
update: I can't get the language switcher to show, so you can add ?lang=fr

August 1, 2019 at 10:04 pm #4325499

Bobby
Supporter

If possible i would like to take a closer look at the backend to further test this issue

**Before we proceed I recommend to please take FULL BACKUP of your database and your website.**
I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to fix the issue.
(preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible)

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

August 2, 2019 at 5:21 am #4326887

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for the access details !

Please provide me with where do you find the documentation for this shortcode
[event-list link_to_event=false]

as i am not able to find it within the modern tribes documentation

is this coming from The Events Calendar Shortcode & Block ?

I believe the issue here is actually with the Events Calendar Shortcode & Block shortcode rather than WPML.

for example i created 2 more test pages WPML Test and WPML Test 2 and just added the shortcode in the English version, the shortcode did not render.

i believe that once you have the shortcode assigned to one page it is not allowed to be used again in another? this seems to be a bug from the plugin author's side.

i have even test this on my sandbox environment here

hidden link

August 2, 2019 at 4:20 pm #4331419

robertT-24

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

It required a lot of digging as I did not originally build this site, the issue seems to be an old shortcode (older version of tribe) that is still supported, however, since it is not the PRO version, it will not render in any other page than /events/ slug which is why it won't work on the FR version of the page; I have used a simpler shortcode in the translated page to replace the full calendar version from the native page, as this is all that can be done w/o purchasing PRO.

Thanks for asking all the right questions to narrow my issue outside the scope of WPML