This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
July 10, 2019 at 12:44 pm #4180351

giorgioF-3

Hi there.

I have a specific request from a customer and I cant find a solution to it.
This is the issue.

Customer has a BLOG where he posts content in 3 diff languages (German - French - Italian)
sometimes the same post is available in 3 languages, sometimes 2, sometimes only 1.

What he wants though is to be able to:
Show in homepage a selection of posts in different languages at the same time - he would like to show a moltitued of posts (one in german, two in french, one in italian ecc)
He would like to be able to choose if post A is shown in German of French (as main language) and so on.

Basically the concern is this. They are not able to choose a "main" language > they want to show multiple language content at the same time AND keep the wmpl logic where the same article exists in 3 language and you can switch between having it in another language BUT not globally instead individually.

I hope i made it clear....

THANK YOU!
G.

July 11, 2019 at 11:29 am #4189369

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

WPML has an option where you can display either the translated post, or display the default language as a fallback option. In other words, display the translation if it exists, but if it does not, display the post in the default language. Unfortunately for your situation this won't completely resolve the issue because it only falls back to the default language. You can't show secondary languages by default.

If you need to display all posts in all languages, this will require custom programming which is outside of the scope of our support forum. There are some examples of how some users have accomplished this in the forum which may help point you in the right direction.