This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by nousC 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Rajeeb Banstola.

Author Posts
August 15, 2019 at 12:06 am #4398091

nousC

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I have four languages / regions setup successfully within WPML with the default being US. Currently if the user switches to another language / region and that region has not been populated for that particular page, WPML redirects to the default language / region (US).

This is perfect, however I am wanting to show the default language / region (US) content without redirecting the URL and therefore keep the URL structure. I want the page to show the default language / region content and keep the same URL.

For example on the home page:

When I navigate to hidden link I don't want it redirecting me to hidden link and showing the default content. I would like it to keep the URL structure hidden link and show the default content.

The reason for this is my client would like to keep the URL structure for SEO purposes. I realise we can duplicate the content for each language / region. However, it would be simpler and less confusing from a population / CMS standpoint that the client is only populating one language / region rather than populating / duplicating the same content across all regions. The majority of the website will be the same content across the languages / regions.

Is this possible?

Thank you
David

August 15, 2019 at 12:26 am #4398097

Rajeeb Banstola

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support!

You can set your posts/pages to fallback to default language if no translation is available. Please folow the instructions given on the link:

https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/#displaying-original-content-for-whole-post-types

Let me know if you have any other questions.

August 18, 2019 at 10:40 pm #4412773

nousC

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!