This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: We need to show the reviews independent of the language - show the reviews from any language all together.

Solution: It is not possible to make product reviews show in all languages. It is only possible to synchronise comments on duplicate content but not to display the reviews across all the languages.

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by wolfgangD-6 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
August 11, 2019 at 8:02 pm #4377397

wolfgangD-6

Dear WPML Team

Since we only have a very small numbers of product reviews in WooCommerce, we need to show the reviews independent of the language.

We know that there is a button "Show reviews in all languages", but most users do not read such things and will just assume that there are no reviews.

Furthermore we are a bit confused about the functionality of WPML here, because it absolutely makes no sense at all because this button is in a tab which says "Reviews (0)". So nobody will even check the contents of this tab, right?

Also the yellow stars next to the product title will not appear like this.

Can you please help us to make the reviews always appear (no matter what language)? We are even happy with a snippet, if this should still not be possible in the WPML standard (which would surprise us very much).

Thanks a lot for your help, have a nice day,

Wolfgang

P.S. yes, we activated "Synchronize comments on duplicate content" in the WPML settings, but this does not help

August 12, 2019 at 12:22 pm #4380707

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Wolfgang,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

I just had a look at one of the products and I could see that the reviews are independent in English (hidden link) and in German (hidden link). There's a comment in English while in German there's no customer review. As I understand from your message, this is what you wanted to do (show reviews independently). Can you tell me if this is what you wanted to do or if you actually want to display the reviews from all the languages, please? I just want to make sure that I understand what you'd like to do.

Thanks,
Radu

August 12, 2019 at 5:16 pm #4382705

wolfgangD-6

Hi Radu

Thanks for your answer. Sorry to be unclear. Due to the small numbers of reviews we need to always have the reviews of all languages displayed, no matter what language currently is used by the visitor.

That means that in the two URL's you mentioned (one for English and one for German) in BOTH the same review will be shown.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Wolfgang

August 13, 2019 at 9:35 am #4386627

Radu
Supporter

Hey Wolfgang,

I checked this out but currently, it is not possible to make product reviews show in all languages. It is only possible to synchronize comments on duplicate content but not to display the reviews across all the languages.

This is a request that's already in our list of feature requests. I added this ticket to it so that my colleagues can see that there's one more. We are having a look at the number of requests when choosing to add a new feature so maybe in the feature we'll add this option. Please keep an eye on the future updates of the plugin.

I also connected this ticket to the request in our list so I can give you a message back if this feature will be implemented.

Thanks,
Radu

August 13, 2019 at 4:44 pm #4389705

wolfgangD-6

Dear Radu

Thanks for your answer. It's very kind to put this into the pipeline, but currently it does not help at all.

No it just shows to users in other languages "zero reviews" and with this nobody will buy our products 🙁

I'm sure that as a temporary workaround with a snippet this can be done quite easy (because of the functionality of the hidden button "Show reviews in all languages").

Can you please check if this might be possible maybe?

Thanks again so much for your help,

Wolfgang

August 14, 2019 at 7:03 am #4392785

Radu
Supporter

Hey Wolfgang,

Since displaying reviews from both languages is not a default feature, this is something that requires custom coding and custom work. I looked for some trick or small piece of code to do the job for displaying the reviews across all the languages but I had no luck with that - it requires more than a few lines of code.

If you want, you can always contact our certified partners and ask them for help (https://wpml.org/contractors/), as custom work is behind the scope of our support.

Thanks,
Radu

August 14, 2019 at 9:14 am #4393695

wolfgangD-6

Dear Radu

Thanks for your answer. I don't want to have 3rd parties mess with this, otherwise at the end it might not fit together anymore.

I have not much clue about coding, but since the button "Show reviews in all languages" triggers an event or sends back something like "the button was pressed" shouldn't it be easy to just add this as a constant into the coding? So that the state always is "button was pressed"?

Otherwise the only way to go is to hide the tab "reviews" completely in the languages, where the reviews are not shown, but this would be very sad 🙁

August 16, 2019 at 10:16 am #4405801

Radu
Supporter

Hey Wolfgang,

As I mentioned in my previous message, I cannot help you with this kind of change. Our plugin is not made to coy the reviews across the languages.
The only trick that I could find is to add ?clang=all to the end of a product link. This way, all the reviews will be displayed on the product. For example, this product doesn't have any review in Deutsch hidden link, but when I add the ?clang=all to the end hidden link, the review from English version is displayed.

Thanks,
Radu

August 18, 2019 at 8:03 pm #4412675

wolfgangD-6

Dear Radu

Thanks for your answer. The hint with the ?clang=all is great, but I can't influence the links internally from Woocommerce 🙁

"Our plugin is not made to coy the reviews across the languages." Sorry to say (knowing that it's not your fault), but then WPML lacks of an absolute major aspect here and I'm reallly disappointed.

Well, accepting this, at least the tab "reviews" must be able to be hidden in each language desired. Currently the control over this tab is across languages - which also makes no sense then.

Can you please at least provide a snippet or CSS to enable the tab to be hidden for each language?

Thanks,

Wolfgang

August 19, 2019 at 7:17 am #4413959

Radu
Supporter

Hey Wolfgang,

This is the CSS that will help you hide the reviews tab from the Deutsch language, for example:

html:lang(de-DE) li[data-tab-id="#tab-reviews"] {
    display: none !important;
}

If you want to use it for any other language, just change the language between the parentheses at the beginning of the CSS.

You can give this a try and tell me if this is what you were looking for.

Thanks,
Radu

August 29, 2019 at 9:35 am #4479279

wolfgangD-6

Dear Radu

Thanks for the CSS. It works fine to hide the "review" tab depending on languages.

The only issue is, that it only works when the browser windows is bigger than 1000px, it looks like a "@media only screen and (min-width: 1000px)" sneaks in somehow, please see the attached picture.

I tried by myself to add something like a min-width of 200px into your CSS, but this does not work 🙂

Would you mind to help me properly adding a @media command or something to your CSS to make this always work?

Thanks a lot,

Wolfgang

August 29, 2019 at 10:06 am #4479739

Radu
Supporter

Hey Wolfgang,

Could you attach a link to a page where this CSS works only when the width is greater than 1000px, please? This way I will be able to find the right snippet to make things work under 1000px width.

Thanks,
Radu

August 29, 2019 at 10:52 am #4480333

wolfgangD-6

Hi Radu

Thanks for your answer. Yes, sure; here we go:

hidden link

Thanks again,

Wolfgang

August 30, 2019 at 8:17 am #4485253

Radu
Supporter

Hey Wolfgang,

I just tried to use this CSS:

html:lang(fr-FR) li[data-tab-id="#tab-reviews"] {
    display: none !important;
}

and it hides the reviews tab, matter the width of the browser. Can you give it a try, please?

Thanks,
Radu

August 30, 2019 at 4:54 pm #4488411

wolfgangD-6

Dear Radu

But that's the code you already sent (except a different language) 🙁 It works, but only if the width of the browser window is 1000px and bigger.

The reason is, that somehow a "@media only screen and (min-width: 1000px)" comes into the game - Please check the attached picture.

The only thing needed to be done is to add a @media command to your CSS, but I have no clue how. But I'm sure it just can be added, right?

Thanks a lot,

Wolfgang