Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 26 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by Tal 6 years, 7 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Ahmed Mohammed.

Author Posts
May 6, 2015 at 12:13 pm #613153

carmeloT

I am trying to:

Choose which Sidebar Settings to use for Pages and Posts on my site but I can not change them after a page or post has been created.

When I enter a page or post, go down to Sidebar Settings, and try to change Sidebar: Where to show and Select Sidebar to choose... I select what I want, but when I go up and click Update... then the Settings do not save and go back to what they were.

URL of (my) website where problem appears:
hidden link

I expected to see: I want the Sidebar Settings to work. I want to be able to select a sidebar for a page or post at any time.

Instead, I got: They do not save. Sidebar stays the same as when page or post was created.

Sidebar settings- Cant change after page or post has already been created.png
May 6, 2015 at 8:01 pm #613561

Otto
Supporter

Timezone: America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires (GMT-03:00)

Hi,
Thank you for posting in the forum.

To be sure that it's a problem related to WPML can you please try to update sidebar settings in a page or post with WPML deactivated. The issue is gone?

Are this sidebar settings part of your theme or a plugin?

I'll wait for your answers.

Kind Regards

May 6, 2015 at 9:57 pm #613617

carmeloT

Hello,

I have tried that option. I have deactivated WPML Plugin and I still cannot Update sidebar setting of posts.

The Sidebar Settings are part of WP Residence which is a theme compatible with ur WPML plugin.

So what do you think now?

Thanks a lot,
Carmelo

WPML Deactivated.png
May 7, 2015 at 11:59 am #614066

carmeloT

Hello there,

I have been testing and guess I have FOUND OUT the moment when Sidebar Settings stops working CORRECTLY and it´s caused by WPML Plugin for sure.

Where> right after saving = MEDIA TRANSLATION settings.

Summary:
I decided to go step by step from 0 to find the moment of the problem. Here is the process:

1. Starting wordpress from 0. Installed wordpress again.
2. Theme Installed- I then installed WP Residence theme.
3. Demo content- I configured Theme with Demo content.
4. First Tests- I starting testing and everything was working OK.
5. Tests on Pages and Posts- I testing both Pages and Posts without WPML installed. Sidebar Settings worked perfect.
6. WPML Plugin Install- I installed WPML, created new key in WPML.org, went back activated and registered..
7. Testing- After WPML activated I tested Sidebar Settings again in Pages and Posts... Working perfect.
8. WPML Plugin Language Configuration- Added Spanish and Catalan, urls, switcher look and position in page.
9. Tested after Language Config- all working perfect.
10. Then, I see in Dashboard wordpress advising me to Config > MEDIA TRANSLATION settings. I clicked and get launched to Media Translation page. I proceed and clicked Save + Apply.
11. Testing after Media T saved- ERROR! Sidebar Settings DO NOT UPDATE anymore...

So Media Translation plugin is triggering something and BLOCKING the Sidebar Settings : ((((

Please, let me know how to proceed to solve/fix this bug.

Thanks a lot,
Carmelo

Media Translation causing the problem on Sidebar Settings.png
May 7, 2015 at 12:28 pm #614101

Otto
Supporter

Hi,
Thanks for the info.
But if you deactivate WPML-Media the error persists?
Can you provide me a copy of your theme so I can replicate the issue in a test site?
I'll set next answer as private so you I'll be the only one who can see it.
Kind Regards

May 7, 2015 at 4:54 pm #614398

Otto
Supporter

Hi Carmelo,
Thank you very much for the detailed info.
I can't access to the site, the server also requires user and password.
I set next answer as private too so you can share with me.
Kind regards

May 8, 2015 at 11:57 am #614997

Otto
Supporter

Thank you for the details you provided and for bringing this issue to our attention.

I forwarded the details to our Themes & Plugins Compatibility Team and they will contact the author.
Please note that this process may take a while as it depends on how soon the author will reply to our efforts to contact him.

It would be great if you can also contact the author asking him to reply us. This may help expedite the process.

We are closing the ticket but we will keep it in our records. You will be notified the moment we have the author’s cooperation in this process.

May 8, 2015 at 12:15 pm #615027

carmeloT

Hello Otto,

Thanks a lot for your time and support on this.

The support team from WP Residence is superb and they reply on a daily basis so if your team from "Themes & Plugins Compatibility" tries contacting them, you guys will have a quick response for sure.

Here you have their contact info:
hidden link
annapx0909@gmail.com
hidden link

Also, they already know about this issue, I notified and share this thread link with them.

I will contact them right after I finished writing to you and will ask them to let me know when your team reaches out to them so that I can follow the process.

A couple of questions:
1. Does your Themes & Plugins Compatibility team has an email where I could reach them?
2. Do I have an ID for this Thread?

Thanks,
Carmelo

May 14, 2015 at 12:46 pm #618847

carmeloT

Good afternoon,

One week ago Otto, one of your forum moderators told me that he had forwarded you the details of this thread.

The next step was that you were contacting WP Residence to manage the compatibility issue with them.

I have just talked to my Theme support and they have not heard or received any emails from your part to start fixing the bug : ((

How is the situation with this issue?

Thanks for your attention,
Carmelo

May 15, 2015 at 1:30 pm #619649

Ahmed Mohammed

Dear Carmelo,

Please accept our apologizes for the unintentional delay.

To reproduce the issue, is this mandatory to import the demo data ?

The theme is just working fine on my brand new WordPress installation. I can add new posts, pages and change the sidebar option field. But I didn't try with the demo content (asked our compatibility team to get them from the author)

Thanks and sorry for any inconvenience. Waiting for your reply 🙂

May 15, 2015 at 2:36 pm #619709

carmeloT

Hello Ahmed,

Thanks for quick reply after my last email. Really appeciate it : )

If you would set to private my next answer I would give u access where the bug appears... I guess that´s the demo site u are referring to.

---- Quick summary of steps I took on hidden link ----

After I saw the PROBLEM I started testing and FOUND OUT the moment when Sidebar Settings stops working CORRECTLY and I´m almost sure it´s caused by WPML Plugin. At least it happened right after this point: Saving MEDIA TRANSLATION Plugin settings.

Problem appeared at Step 10.

These are the steps I took to test it:
I decided to go step by step from 0 to find the moment of the problem. Here is the process:

1. Starting wordpress from 0. Installed wordpress again.
2. Theme Installed- I then installed WP Residence theme.
3. Demo content- I configured Theme with Demo content.
4. First Tests- I starting testing and everything was working OK.
5. Tests on Pages and Posts- I testing both Pages and Posts without WPML installed. Sidebar Settings worked perfect.
6. WPML Plugin Install- I installed WPML, created new key in WPML.org, went back activated and registered..
7. Testing- After WPML activated I tested Sidebar Settings again in Pages and Posts... Working perfect.
8. WPML Plugin Language Configuration- Added Spanish and Catalan, urls, switcher look and position in page.
9. Tested after Language Config- all working perfect.
10. Then, I see in Dashboard wordpress advising me to Config > MEDIA TRANSLATION settings. I clicked and get launched to Media Translation page. I proceed and clicked Save + Apply.
11. Testing after Media T saved- ERROR! Sidebar Settings DO NOT UPDATE anymore...

So Media Translation plugin is triggering something and BLOCKING the Sidebar Settings : ((((

-----------------------------

As I said at the beginning of this message, if you would set to private my next answer I would give u access where the bug appears... I guess that´s the demo site u are referring to.

Also, Support for WP Residence Theme is amazing and will answer you right away.

Thanks and waiting to be able to give you guys access to the site with the problem.

Best regards,
Carmelo

May 15, 2015 at 2:59 pm #619728

Ahmed Mohammed

Thanks for the quick reply, I have the access to your test site and I could see the problem.

I just want to be sure that I must install the demo content to replicate the issue on a brand new installation of WordPress.

Because as I mentioned in my reply, I could not reproduce the same issue on a clean WordPress installation with
- WordPress 4.2.2
- WPResidence theme v1.10.1 (without demo content) -- waiting for the latest version of the theme along with the demo content, this should be asked to author by our compatibility team.
- WPML plugins (including WPML Media Plugin)

I created new post with "right" sidebar and published it. After it was successfully published, I tried to edit the sidebar option to "left" and updated the post. It was successfully updated.

If it's necessary to install the demo content, I'll wait for them, then I'll debug the issue on my test server.

Be sure that I'll keep you updated about the status of the issue.

May 15, 2015 at 3:37 pm #619755

carmeloT

Hello Ahmed,

I have another site with the same Theme + WPML. But without installing the Demo content.

I have just tried to replicate the problem after Saving and Applying WPML Media Plugin Settings, and the Problem still happens without Demo content on this site.

If you want I can give u access to this site so u can try without Demo content: hidden link

Have you Saved and Applied Settings inside > Media Translation settings? Could I have access to that new installation u have created?

Let me know what you think.

May 15, 2015 at 3:47 pm #619768

Ahmed Mohammed

Thanks for the reply!

So the point here is "Media Translation settings", I'll make sure to check this out and I'll be back to you soon.

Of course, if I still cannot reproduce the issue (after saving the media settings), I'll set up a test site on our servers and pass the access details to you.

I'm just waiting for some info from our compatibility team. Please hold on and have a nice weekend 🙂

May 16, 2015 at 10:44 pm #620123

carmeloT

Hello Ahmed,

Yes, I guess it´s "Media Translation settings".

Great, I will be waiting for your test and reply.

Thaks a lot and hope u having a wonderful weekend 😉