This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jeroen 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
July 9, 2019 at 11:32 am #4170245

Jeroen

We have an issue with a WPML website we build for a client. We knew that the site would slow down a bit as soon as we enabled WPML to add more languages to the site. And at first it was ok, but after a recent change it became extremely slow and even a bit unresponsive sometimes.

I made the following change; when configuring WPML to work with ACF, I accidentally made the ACF Field Groups translatable as well. That was a mistake from my side because all ACF fields will be the same for all languages and I don’t need to translate the field or group names. So I made a backup, changed the ACF Field Groups to be non-translatable and after that removed all duplicate ACF Field Groups. At first it seemed to work fine but turns out I was checking a cached page.. The site was in fact broken and I got the following order when visiting without caching:
Duplicate entry '0' for key 'PRIMARY' (I can’t remember for which WPML table though)

I was able to fix this issue with Joanna’s tip on: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/site-extremely-slow-due-to-wpml/

But after that the whole was still extremely slow. After a restart of the server I was able to login again, before that the site was just to slow to even load anything. After that I tried the following things:
- Disabling WPML String Translation
- Changing memory limit to 256M;
- Changing the big tables from MyISAM to InnoDB;
- Went through these tips without luck: https://wpml.org/faq/prevent-performance-issues-with-wpml/
- Went through the troubleshooting page without luck

You can view more server/PHP info here: hidden link
And yes, everything (WP, themes, plugins) is up to date.

Do you have any more tips for me? Or is it an option for you to log in and check if you can find the bottleneck? If so, I’ll create an account for you.

Thank you

July 9, 2019 at 2:49 pm #4172001

Jeroen

A small addition to this issue; it really seems to be a ACF with WPML issue. I can browse through the backend and pages load pretty ok, but as soon as i start editing a post with ACF fields and I click 'update' i will get a time-out after about 10 mins of waiting.

July 9, 2019 at 4:05 pm #4172905

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi there,

1. You wrote: " as i start editing a post with ACF fields and I click 'update' i will get a time-out after about 10 mins of waiting..."

Question:
Have you enabled WordPress debug mode and seen if there are any entries in the debug log?

2. Please create a new small example page with an ACF field? Does the same thing happen or is the system hanging with only old ACF related pages?

3. Temporary Access to your system
Please provide access to your system (wp-admin and ftp) so that I can further investigate this particular problem. The fields to provide this data are included in a private section that I will open for your next response. You can find it above the comments area. The information in this private section is only visible between WPML Support and you.

4. Please provide steps on how to see this issue on your site...preferably with the sample page you create for us,.

Thanks

July 10, 2019 at 12:16 pm #4180009

Jeroen

I managed to fix this by manually editing all tables in the database. For some reason almost all tables lost their properties like primary key, auto increment, uniques, indexes, etc. I also had to truncate the wp_icl_strings because it had over 400.000 records and many were corrupted. I have no idea how this happened but it all started when i made the change to the ACF Field Groups. Thanks for looking into this.

July 10, 2019 at 12:16 pm #4180039

Jeroen

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!