This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 8 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
February 18, 2019 at 7:15 pm

aviK-4

I am trying to:

Im building a website which need to serve in 4 languages, the whole website works fine in English and then I installed Polylang plugin to manage the translation, but it was a bit too complicated to manage it all (a few custom post type which each one have ACF fields) with Poly and I wanted to ease the translation process for my client, so I purchased WPML and run the importer as you instruct.

BUT once I installed WPML and run the Importer - the whole site break and all content is missing from the front end.

Im not talking about other languages which may have missing translated content - the main language ENGLISH, none of the pages are working all though the info is exist in the back end.

I thought maybe I need to replace the pll__ in the code for regular __ function - so I did replace them at the Home page file, but content is still missing.

I tried to deactivate WPML - and even worse the header text display in a few languages and all the rest is missing

The header is still loading - but the language switcher not display as Drop Down as it should.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I backup my site before I changed the languages plugins - but I rather to try and solve it (if we can find easy and quick solution) and not goes back to Polylang.

I can send you the design image or the HTML which based on them I create the website OR the PHP file or simply access to my Admin or FTP

Please advise

Thanks

February 19, 2019 at 7:23 pm #3218675

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

I'll help you with this issue. I've already checked a few things on your site.

I understand that you have followed our instructions here.
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/migrate-polylang-wpml/
First, I want to ask you if you had not forgotten to deactivate Polylang before initiating the WPML migration process?

You wrote: "Im not talking about other languages which may have missing translated content - the main language ENGLISH, none of the pages are working all though the info is exist in the back end."
Can you please give me an example for a page that I can see this problem?
I ask it because when I check the homepage or about page in English, I do see some content there. So where can I see this problem of content that is missing on the front-end but can be found on the backend?

You wrote: "I thought maybe I need to replace the pll__ in the code for regular __ function - so I did replace them at the Home page file, but content is still missing."
Can you please elaborate on this point?
Is this the Gettext function that Polylang is using?
Can you show me one example of where you had made such a change?
What is the current situation? Is it pll__ or __?

You wrote: "The header is still loading - but the language switcher not display as Drop Down as it should."
I can see this problem. Let's deal with it later please after that we solve the bigger problems.

I can see that you are using the leverate-traders-campus theme which seems to be a custom theme. Does the issue persist if you temporarily switch to a default WordPress theme like TwentySeventeen?

**** Important! Please make a full site backup (files and DB) before you proceed with those steps****

I look forward to your reply!

Itamar.

February 19, 2019 at 8:08 pm #3218797

aviK-4

Hi Itamar,

Thanks - I will try to answer your questions as detailed as I can with hope you can find easy solution for my website (otherwise I have to go back to Poly which I prefer not).

Yes, I followed that article and I did remembered to Deactivate Polylang first. then I installed WPML and walk trough the installation wizard, then I installed management/String and ACF add on and after that I run the Polylang importer/Migration.

Regarding the content - Yes its a custom theme, you can download from this link a folder with the HTML version of the pages (hidden link).

The site had all those pages works dynamically in English and partly in Italian.

Most of the content pulled from Custom post type with Advanced Custom fields (for instance at home page - the courses/students/experts carousels (which you cant see at the moment).

You can find post type named - HOME PAGE SETTING - which include most of the content for the Home page, and then Students/Experts/Courses and so on - The page it self Home page have none text in its editor.

and as I said, for some reason all that content disappear.

Regarding the "pll__" - that the way Polylang ask to mention text for translation in the code (not sure why they not use the regular "__(" - which I used in some places in the code. I though at first that because WPML expect __( and not pll__ the site might not loading. So I replaced those function in the Page-Home.php - once I did it, those strings did appear in WPML string translation but nothing changed in the Front End.

Agree - we better find the issue to bring back the content and than handle the menu issue.

Yes - once I change the theme it load empty, becouse I used to load the home page from Page-Home.php which is custom made and the page it self is empty as I said.

In the following link you can download the full backup I did before we changed the Poly to WPML (in case it will help you understand better) - hidden link

Hope to hear from you soon

Thanks
Yaron

February 20, 2019 at 1:08 pm #3221874

aviK-4

Just as a reference, I set up the backup - you can find it at: hidden link

That how the site was before we change from Poly to WPML

Waiting to hear back from you

Thanks

February 20, 2019 at 5:15 pm #3223201

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi, Yaron.

I'm sorry, but reading your description and checking things on your site now, I understand now that there might not be an easy solution as you hope to have. I'll explain why. You are using a custom theme, with CPTs'. And you have ACF fields on those CPTs'. Then with custom code, if I understand correctly, you are pulling the information from the CPT into the pages. All those custom settings make me believe that those things broke on the migration from Polylang into WPML. Those adjustments would need to be done manually. At the link where you downloaded the bridge plugin, we specify what the plugin does and what it does not do.
hidden link
hidden link
Please note the following point:
Migrate other settings: This will be implemented progressively. For the time being, you are free to adjust them manually after the migration process is completed.
Again, I'm sorry if those are not such good news for you but according to the policy of our support forum, debugging custom code is out of the scope of our forum.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this issue.

Best Regards,
Itamar.

The topic ‘[Closed] Site break after WPML installation and POLYLANG importer’ is closed to new replies.