This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 11.12 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
September 25, 2019 at 11:53 am #4638417

ergiA-2

Hello, Support!

I have translated my website into English version and now I am ready to translate my shop as well, therefore I installed Woocommerce Multilingual plugin and activated it. The moment when I activated the plugin, my site crashed immediately and I had to de-activate plugin from FTP to make my site work again.

Could you please tell me what would be the solution to that problem? Also, I added a screenshot of the error that can be seen when the plugin is activated.

Thank You in advance!

September 25, 2019 at 3:24 pm #4640545

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

Can you please try the steps below:

- disable all plugins except WPML and its add-ons
- check if the issue is happening again
- if it's not, reactivate your plugins one by one, checking every time if the issue shows up again so that you can understand which plugin is causing that issue

If the issue happens even with the non-WPML plugins disabled:

- leave all the non-WPML plugins deactivated
- switch to a default theme like TwentySeventeen
- try to recreate the issue now

Also, please make sure that the server follows the WPML minimum requirements mentioned in the link below:
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

Please let me know how that goes and what you will be able to find out.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

September 25, 2019 at 4:53 pm #4641309

ergiA-2

Hello Mihai

Thank You for your instructions, before I start with different methods I found out that some of my minimum requirements may not be enough for that website.

Please take a look at the picture that I attached to this post, it seems like WordPress memory limit is way too low. Maybe that's the cause for that problem? How I can increase WordPress memory limit?

Best regards

Ergi

September 26, 2019 at 4:04 pm #4648609

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi Ergi.

The WP memory limit needs to be increased as the minimum requirement for WPML is 128Mb WP Memory Limit: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

❌ Very important: please make a backup of your site (files & database) before following any of the upcoming steps ❌

Please add this to your wp-config.php file to increase WP memory:

/* WP Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Paste it just before:

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

These settings can be limited directly by your hosting provider, so, if that’s the case, I recommend you to contact and ask them to modify them directly. If you can get even higher values It would be great.

Please make sure you have updated the values successfully, You can verify them from WPML >> Support page.

Please let me know how things go.

Kind regards,
Mihai

September 27, 2019 at 1:33 pm #4654493

ergiA-2

Hello Mihai

I have followed your instructions and my memory limit is increased to 256M, for confirmation please have a look at the attached picture. But, the problem still occurs with the same error.

If that helps, I can share my website data and you could log-in to take a deeper look on my website.

Best regards

Ergi

September 28, 2019 at 10:35 am #4658227

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi and thank you for the confirmation.

1. Can you please confirm that the issue happens when you activate the WPML plugin (even if all the other plugins are deactivated and you are running a WP-default theme)?

2. To further debug the problem I’d like to replicate your site locally.

I will need your written approval to be able to duplicate your site using a plugin called "Duplicator" and test your site on a local environment so can you please let me know if this is ok with you?

3. I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of the site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box.

The private box looks like this: hidden link

I will be waiting for your response.

PS: Just a note that I won't be working on the weekend so I will be able to get back to you at the beginning of next week.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

September 28, 2019 at 5:13 pm #4658857

ergiA-2

Hello Mihai

I am very thankful for your help. I deactivated all my plugins once again and began with activating WPML plugins (including Woocommerce Multilingual) and my website did not crash this time. Then I started activating plugins one by one and finally, I realized the cause for crashing - on my website I have two plugins: YITH Request a quote and YITH Request a quote premium. When I activate first one, everything is fine but, when I activate Premium version my website crashes immediately.

To sum up, there is a problem between YITH Request a quote Premium plugin and Woocommerce Multilingual. Should I avoid using that premium version plugin to use Woocommerce Multilingual or try to reinstall it again?

Thank You for your help and at least now we are one step closer to our solution. Enjoy your weekend and let's go on with this at the beginning of next week.

Best regards

Ergi

September 30, 2019 at 2:48 pm #4665617

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

I am very happy to hear that you found the conflicting plugin.

From what I can see, the free version of this plugin (https://wpml.org/plugin/yith-woocommerce-request-a-quote-2/) was declared compatible with WPML but it has not been tested for a very long time and the premium version is not present in our official WPML-compatible plugins directory here (https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/) so yes, if you can use something else, that would work.

If you want to reinstall the premium plugin, you can try that, too, but first make sure that you create a full website backup - however, it might still conflict not being part of our directory.

I'd also suggest that you contact the plugin authors and recommend them to join our 'Go Global' program (https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/go-global-program/) where our Compatibility developers will help them make their plugin 100% compatible with WPML for free.

Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding this matter.

I would be more than happy to help.

Kind regards,
Mihai