Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
November 12, 2019 at 6:05 pm #4933987

davidN-51

Hi there,

My site is experiencing 500 server errors which is basically when the hosting environment is getting overloaded with processes (1000*s of hits on the index.php page). The guilty culprit is I believe WPML and possibly a fault in how I have set it up.

Point 1:
I noticed a warning message ("Warning: You are trying to edit a translation that is currently..."). I actually do not want to send any translations to be edited. I am translating all content by myself. Somewhere there is a setting to enable manual translations but I cannot find it. In another post someone said the setting was here, but you have moved it:

WPML->Translation Management-> Multilingual content setup -> "translate manually"

Can you tell me where this setting is so I can set to manual translation? That will help remove some processes which are being continually called.

Point 2:
When I go to WPML->Translation Management->Translation Jobs I have 4 pages of jobs waiting, even though I have translated most of these pages. Is that due to the automatic translation setting? Can I delete all those jobs safely without deleting cotent on my translated pages?

Point 3:
I started getting 500 errors when switching between the language selector in the backend, whilst translating pages. I often do not click the pencil icon to access the language translation fields. I simply switch the language in the top header and translate directly the language pages themselves. It seems to sometimes cause 500 server errors doing it this way. Should it really do that? I suspect not.

Thanks for your assistance to these 3 points.

November 12, 2019 at 6:18 pm #4934121

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-05:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this. The setting for manual translation has moved. You can now edit per page, or for all pages. To do this, edit any page/post in the original language. In the Languages box, you will see the switch to enable or disable the WPML editor. When you click to disable it, a pop up will show asking if you want to change the setting for just this page, all pages, or all content.

For the jobs that are awaiting translation, you can go to WPML -> Translations and resign or complete the translations there.

Using the admin language switcher to go back and forth between languages should not cause server errors. Perhaps there is something more going on behind the scenes? To further investigate the 500 errors, please enable the WordPress debug log. This will allow us to see if any PHP errors are being produced. More Info: https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress

1. Edit wp-config.php and insert the following lines:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

2. Browse to the page with the issue and/or reproduce the issue.

3. Locate the debug log in: /wp-content/debug.log

4. Paste the latest lines here. No need to paste the entire log file, just 50 lines or so will do. Please censor any sensitive information.

November 12, 2019 at 7:57 pm #4934549

davidN-51

Hi Lauren,

Many thanks for your reply 🙂
I actually had the WP Debug on, so below are the errors which seem to be the ones repeating nearly all the time. It seems to be triggered when I was translating the different page content. I have also sent the same to our theme developer, in case it is an issue their end.

Thanks again.

[12-Nov-2019 17:09:41 UTC] PHP Warning: substr() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/XXXXX/public_html/XXXXX/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/includes/wc-formatting-functions.php on line 871
[12-Nov-2019 17:09:41 UTC] PHP Warning: substr() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/XXXXX/public_html/XXXXX/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/includes/wc-formatting-functions.php on line 872
[12-Nov-2019 17:09:41 UTC] PHP Warning: substr() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/XXXXX/public_html/XXXXX/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/includes/wc-formatting-functions.php on line 873
[12-Nov-2019 17:09:41 UTC] PHP Notice: Array to string conversion in /home/XXXXX/public_html/XXXXX/wp-content/themes/woodmart/inc/integrations/visual-composer/fields/dropdown.php on line 13
[12-Nov-2019 17:09:41 UTC] PHP Warning: substr() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/XXXXX/public_html/XXXXX/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/includes/wc-formatting-functions.php on line 871
[12-Nov-2019 17:09:41 UTC] PHP Warning: substr() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/XXXXX/public_html/XXXXX/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/includes/wc-formatting-functions.php on line 872
[12-Nov-2019 17:09:41 UTC] PHP Warning: substr() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/XXXXX/public_html/XXXXX/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/includes/wc-formatting-functions.php on line 873
[12-Nov-2019 17:09:41 UTC] PHP Notice: Array to string conversion in /home/XXXXX/public_html/XXXXX/wp-content/themes/woodmart/inc/integrations/visual-composer/fields/dropdown.php on line 13
[12-Nov-2019 17:09:41 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined index: white in /home/XXXXX/public_html/XXXXX/wp-content/themes/woodmart/inc/integrations/visual-composer/fields/dropdown.php on line 11
[12-Nov-2019 17:09:41 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined index: white in /home/XXXXX/public_html/XXXXX/wp-content/themes/woodmart/inc/integrations/visual-composer/fields/dropdown.php on line 13
[12-Nov-2019 17:09:41 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined index: gradient in /home/XXXXX/public_html/XXXXX/wp-content/themes/woodmart/inc/integrations/visual-composer/fields/dropdown.php on line 11
[12-Nov-2019 17:09:41 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined index: gradient in /home/XXXXX/public_html/XXXXX/wp-content/themes/woodmart/inc/integrations/visual-composer/fields/dropdown.php on line 13

November 12, 2019 at 8:29 pm #4934721

Lauren
Supporter

Thanks for sending the debug info. I don't see any errors realted to WPML in the log. Can you test your site with minimal settings to see if the issue happens when you have only WPML plugins active and a default theme such as Twenty Nineteen? If you can't test this on the live site, you can send me a duplicator snapshot of your site (https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/) and I can test it locally for you.

Once the snapshot is complete, either upload the snapshot ZIP file and the installer.php file to a file sharing service such as Dropbox (and share the link in your reply) or right click the Duplicator links in your wp-admin and paste in your reply.

Please note: It is important to reduce the size of the package so please exclude some paths like /cache or /uploads and also exclude archives and media files.

I will also need the username and password of an account that was created BEFORE creating the duplicator package.

I will enable the next reply to be private so only you and I have access to it!

November 13, 2019 at 6:26 pm #4941991

davidN-51

Hi Lauren,

What I shall do is put this ticket on hold right now. I have got our theme developer looking at this, and it is possible that these errors are related to the theme. Once they have checked this out I will come back to you.

Have a nice evening.
Thanks

November 13, 2019 at 7:12 pm #4942393

Lauren
Supporter

Hi David, if you get the automatic reply that the ticket needs updating or it will be closed, just come back here to send me an update and that will keep it open. Thanks for the update.