If you are having a notice about writing the .mo files please read this doc

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Some sites run into performance issues because of other plugins. It can be due to compatibility issues with WPML or other problems in the code of those plugins.

If you are running into performance problems, first follow our FAQ entry about preventing performance issues with WPML. This FAQ includes a number of simple steps to follow.

In case you want to profile your site's performance and get to the bottom of performance problems, follow the guide for debugging performance problems.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 120 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by George Botsev 1 year, 12 months ago.

Assigned support staff: George Botsev.

Author Posts
April 11, 2017 at 3:35 pm #1252292

adriO

Hi Joanna,
Thank you for the update. Nice to read that David Lingren of MLA has an update almost ready also. Because it is (so it looks) a minor issue I will wait for the new stable version from the repository.

Great news also that the new WPML release is coming out shortly. I'm not in a very big hurry because it is in my development site, like I earlier wrote. Therefor am I not able to give you some server logs from my hosting provider ;-).

Like I said I tried to do some tweaking on my end and one of those tweaks was buying MAMP Pro. From within MAMP Pro I'm able to get some log files. I've attached a screenshot with the flavours to choose from. If you wish I paste them in here. Just let me know.

Next and presumably it is already fixed in the new version: suddenly my products dissapeared in the English (default) language. In Dutch is everything ok. Or is it something else?

Cheers,

Adri

April 12, 2017 at 7:59 am #1252684

adriO

Hi Joanna,

Just to inform you..... my products in English are back again! Re-saving the permalinks did the trick. Why it went wrong puzzles me.....

Adri

April 12, 2017 at 9:50 am #1252818

Joanna

Hello Adri,

I'm glad to hear that the products are back. It seems that you just had a cache issue.

I'll get back to you when the new release is out.

April 14, 2017 at 1:23 pm #1254426

adriO

Hi Joanna,

I suddenly discovered an extra problem..... when trying to go to the English support forum I get this Fatal error:

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: [] operator not supported for strings in /Users/adri/Documents/websites/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/forums/functions.php:1800 
Stack trace: #0 /Users/adri/Documents/websites/htdocs/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(298): bbp_pre_get_posts_normalize_forum_visibility(Object(WP_Query)) 
#1 /Users/adri/Documents/websites/htdocs/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(323): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array) 
#2 /Users/adri/Documents/websites/htdocs/wp-includes/plugin.php(515): WP_Hook->do_action(Array) 
#3 /Users/adri/Documents/websites/htdocs/wp-includes/class-wp-query.php(1681): do_action_ref_array('pre_get_posts', Array) 
#4 /Users/adri/Documents/websites/htdocs/wp-includes/class-wp-query.php(3238): WP_Query->get_posts() 
#5 /Users/adri/Documents/websites/htdocs/wp-includes/class-wp.php(617): WP_Query->query(Array) 
#6 /Users/adri/Documents/websites/htdocs/wp-includes/class-wp.php(735): WP->query_posts() 
#7 /Users/adri/Documents/websites/htdocs/wp-includes/functions.php(955): WP->main('') 
#8 /Users/ in /Users/adri/Documents/websites/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/forums/functions.php on line 1800

That's all there is on the page, no interface, just a white screen with the message above.

I don't know if it is related or that it needs its own topic.

In Dutch, the second language is everything ok.

Your advice please.

Adri

April 17, 2017 at 12:37 pm #1255251

adriO

Hi Joanna,

I don't know if you read my last replies because of the escalation but I have some new info.

I take the steps you mentioned again and when I did it the third time I notice some increased performance. Not very much but still. However when the WPML plugins are deactivated it is much, much faster.

Second the issue with the bbpress forum: I managed to solve it myself. I had to download the 2.6 beta 2 version of the plugin but now the fatal error is gone and the forums are functioning properly. In English and in Dutch as well.

Regards,

Adri

April 18, 2017 at 2:22 pm #1256163

Joanna

Hello Adri,

I'm sorry I missed your previous message. I'm glad that you managed to resolve it.

I wanted to let you know that we've just released new versions of WPML and its add-ons. Please update our plugins and check if that changes anything in your installation.

April 19, 2017 at 1:20 pm #1257111

adriO

Hi Joanna,

I've downloaded the updates, installed them and went testing. Sorry to say but there is no gain in speed. Saddening for sure. The site is at a respectable speed when the WPML plugins are deactivated.

Also noticeable the WPML.org site itself is rather slow........

Maybe related?

Regards,

Adri

April 20, 2017 at 5:06 pm #1258364

Joanna

Hello Adri,

I have one more request for you. I would like to compare your site speed and the copy of your site that I have locally. For this, could you please install the Debug Objects plugin and test with and without WPML:
1. the speed of the site
2. memory usage
3. query information about the active plugins

I'm aware that it may take some time but it will help us compare if there is any difference in the speed between our local server and yours.

April 21, 2017 at 12:52 pm #1259004

adriO

Hi Joanna,

I installed the plugin and tried to run it. Oops..... that's a never ending story. After about 6 minutes I got a fatal error about exceeding memory. So I increased the memory to 1000MB in the WP config and at least there was something happening.

When done I tried to scroll down to my page but the browser(s) are freezing (a very, very, very long table was displayed.

Restarting went better (so it seems)
However after again the enormous table at the end of my page, again a fatal error. Something about Uncaught error and about the [] (array) something like "Not intended for strings" And crashing my browser.

I had ticked every check in the plugin but clearly it is unable to process fully.

What options do you want to be ticked? Maybe that way I can limit the huge work to be done by my poor, poor, poor computer :-). Or do you have another testing solution to work with....

Best wishes,

Adri

April 21, 2017 at 4:50 pm #1259217

Joanna

Hello Adri,

You were really brave that you checked every single option. Please choose only (from the top):
* About the plugin
* Output in WordPress Admin Footer. Alternatively use url param debug or set a cookie via url param debugcookie in days. Example: example.com/?debug
* Three Tabs: Only the database queries from plugins and wp-content in each tab with runtime and a tab with content of all queries and his runtime in order of runtime
* Memory Used, Load Time and included Files, but without all file in the folder wp-admin, wp-includes
* PHP, WordPress and global Stuff
* (optional, depending on the site perfomance) Analyze the performance for the permalink rule settings.

April 22, 2017 at 9:02 am #1259413

adriO

Hi Joanna,

Now we are getting somewhere. I can see that there is a lot af data collected.
Two questions though, different pages are giving different results.

1. Can you tell me from which pages you want the debug data collected?
2. How do I send you the results? I don't see a save or export option in the plugin.

HTH

Adri

April 24, 2017 at 4:09 pm #1260562

Joanna

Hello Adri,

In one of the tabs, you should have the information about the memory usage and load time. These are the most important values. For the queries, please review the queries and look for the ones that take much more time than others. Then, check from which plugin these queries come from. If from one of ours, just copy/paste the particular query. If you don't find any query that looks really suspicious, just let me know about it.

You may check the results at Plugins->All Plugins page and Posts->Add New. If they are similar, you can paste only one set of results.

If you still find working with Debug Objects too painful, you may also try the Chrome extension called "Page load time". However, this one would only show you the page load time.

April 25, 2017 at 8:48 am #1261036

adriO

Hi Joanna,

That was not so easy. The Debug Objects plugin was not working properly on my system. The anchors in the tabs didn't work at all and what I did saw was that much that it was almost impossible to copy and paste. I think it would be a post from here to Warsaw and back.

So, what I did was a search for another plugin and I found this one: https://wordpress.org/plugins/query-monitor/

I was able to perform the test and a summary of the results came up in the admin bar.
Clicking those results gave me a menu for selecting different options.
Next I performed those test on different pages and saved several web packages of the tests WITH and WITHOUT WPML activated. The results speaks for themselves.

One little thing: when opening a page and clicking the results a double set of options appears in the menu bar. Use the second set because the first (upper) did not work for me.
Selecting one of those options brings you to the testresults.

I hope you are able to work with it and find a solution to the issue at hand. Of course I knew there was a big difference in performance with activated versus deactivated plugins. But this enormous difference....... It's disappointing to say the least.

I have prepared a zip archive on my Google drive. If you open up the private box I will sent you the link.

Regards,

Adri

April 25, 2017 at 5:35 pm #1261594

Joanna

Hello Adri,

Thank you for performing these test. Your next reply will be private so you can paste the links to the archives.

April 26, 2017 at 3:16 pm #1262471

Joanna

Hello Adri,

Thank you for the files. I'll review them and get back to you.