Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Anni 1 year, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Kor.

Author Posts
May 28, 2022 at 4:35 pm #11334327

Anni

Tell us what you are trying to do?

Today I have worked on my development site and after I finished I copied the site from DEV to LIVE site. I know that these sites have a different site key for WPML so after I copied the site I changed the site key on live site that is associated with it.
But the WPML flags are not showing. What is the problem? This has happened to me several times that the language switcher is not working on the site, although I have added the site key. Could you do this simpler as it is waste of time to change back and forth to see, if everything is working or not. Can't you have one single site key for development site and live site?

What is the link to your site?

hidden link

May 30, 2022 at 9:20 am #11341131

Kor
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Singapore (GMT+08:00)

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting WPML support.

I've checked your Website here hidden link and I'm able to see the flags on the language switcher as shown in the attached screenshot.

Did you sort it out yourself? If not, please share the URL of the page in question where the issue still persists so that I could check on it.

Thanks!

Kor

flags.png
May 30, 2022 at 12:06 pm #11343455

Anni

Hi,
I figured it out by myself. But it would make quicker, if you have one single site key for production (live) site and development site linked to it. Thank you.
Best regards
Anni

May 30, 2022 at 1:20 pm #11344289

Kor
Supporter

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

Glad that you sorted it out. Unfortunately, one site key can only be used in either production or development environment as explained here https://wpml.org/faq/install-wpml/#register-development-sites . I hope this clears it up and I apologize for the inconvenience that may have caused earlier.

Thanks!

Kor

May 30, 2022 at 1:32 pm #11344505

Anni

Hi,
I think this is nonsense, because the production site and development site are practically on site.
My site is on WP Engine hosting and they have a very flexible production site and development site environment. It is easy to copy the environment between these sites. Only problem is that after I have copied the site to production or development site, I have to unregister WPML and put the correct site key for WPML. And that is not enough, but I have to go to WPML languages settings and add the language switcher. You could make this simpler.
Best regards,
Anni

May 30, 2022 at 1:35 pm #11344541

Kor
Supporter

Hi Anni,

Thanks for your feedback.

I will be sure to share this with our team. Hopefully, they would figure something out to improve this. Have a nice day!

Thanks!

Kor

May 30, 2022 at 1:42 pm #11344639

Anni

Hi,

Thank you. I would be very glad, if you make the workflow smoother.

Have a nice day 🙂

Anni

May 30, 2022 at 4:15 pm #11346201

Anni

Hi,

I have two websites.
Your policy is that with one WPML license one can have three websites. Do you count the development site as a separate site? I have one website with two keys, but the other site has a WPML key only on the live site. Do I have to buy another license to work on a development environment for the other website?

Best regards
Anni

May 31, 2022 at 4:02 am #11348387

Kor
Supporter

Hi Anni,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry to hear that you're still confused with the licensing. I'll try to explain again.

Since you have the "Multilingual CMS" plan, this is what you get.

3 Site keys for production websites (Separate domain names)
9 Site keys for development websites (Separate domain names)

One Website/domain can only use 1 site key and if you've two site keys on one domain/website, please remove one.

I hope this clears it up and let me know if you've further questions.

Thanks!

Kor

June 1, 2022 at 6:19 am #11358853

Anni

Hi Kor,

I am wondering why in ten years I have never seen this information anywhere. I have just read that I can have three sites with my license. This information should be on the 'register WPML on your sites' -page.
For question about your advanced translator I open a new ticket.

Thank you for your help.
Best regards
Anni

June 1, 2022 at 6:24 am #11358871

Kor
Supporter

Hi Anni,

Thanks for your reply.

You can see it here https://wpml.org/purchase/ and please refer to the center "Multilingual CMS" and scroll to the bottom where it says "Websites". I hope it helps and will forward your feedback regarding this information not displaying on the "register WPML on your sites" page.

Have a great day!

Thanks!

Kor

June 1, 2022 at 7:34 am #11359493

Anni

Hi Kor,

I didn't see this page, because ten years ago another person did the initial website for me. He purchased the WPML-plugin and I paid it to him. He said that I can have three sites with my license. During that time I had only the production site, no development or staging site.

Have a nice day/evening.

Best regards
Anni

June 1, 2022 at 8:37 am #11360157

Kor
Supporter

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, we've made changes to the plans in recent years. Since you're clear now, please let me know if you've any more questions regarding the licensing.

Thanks!

Kor

June 1, 2022 at 8:50 am #11360193

Anni

Thank you, I have no further questions regarding the licensing.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.