This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 10.77 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Riffaz 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
August 22, 2019 at 11:53 am #4438923

christianS-25

Sometimes, when opening a URL with a language (?lang=) parameter, it switches to the browser's language.

This only happens sporadically in Google Chrome, but when using Firefox's private-browsing it occurs all the time. When opening the following URL: hidden link it instantly switches language to: hidden link. I've tried both a Dutch (NL) and French (FR) version of Firefox, but the result remained the same: both redirect to ?lang=nl.

Exactly the same happens in a new and fresh installation of Firefox, so when there's no plugins/extensions interfering.

Please advise, how is this happening? Anything I forgot to set in WPML's settings?

August 22, 2019 at 12:15 pm #4439187

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

It should work like that only if you enable this option : https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/automatic-redirect-based-on-browser-language/ but as per your debug info you did not enable it.
Anyhow, double check it please.
If you did not enable it it should be because of a plugin or some custom code.

I could not check your site because it shows your site is domain.com

I see more than one redirect plugins and caching plugins and a plugin to change the URLs.
These all plugins create such issue in many cases.
Could you please disable all the plugins except WPML and check the issue?

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Riffaz.

The topic ‘[Closed] Site language forcibly changed by browser?’ is closed to new replies.