Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
October 25, 2019 at 8:28 pm

karelR-3

The site performance is an issue. I have optimized the page(GTmetrix score 95), however, it is loading really slow with the combination of Woocommerce and WPML - usually 7-8 seconds. What could be the issue - is there any option to get the speed normal?

October 28, 2019 at 12:16 am
October 28, 2019 at 12:17 am #4835789

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the WPML Support Forum.

For further investigation of the issue, I have just sent you a private message with instructions for migrating your website to our test server.

Please leave me a short notification once the migration has been completed.

Kind regards
Andreas

October 28, 2019 at 12:02 pm #4839153

karelR-3

The migration has been completed.

October 29, 2019 at 12:33 am #4843375

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for migrating your website. In order to measure the time needed to load the store page I am using the Google Chrome Add-on Page Load Time:

hidden link

While investigating your site on our test server I can see the following results:

All plugins running: 2,8 - 3,8 seconds (First load 5.8)

All plugins without WPML Plugins: 3,5 - 4.7 seconds (First load 5.7)

On your live site, I receive similar results while not being logged in.

Take note that the time can be double as high when loading the page for the first time. I afterward load about 10 times and note down the min and max values.

I then realized that the plugin Rank Math SEO displays a PHP Notice and 4 Deprecated notifications. More about that later. You can see the notification on Query Monitor.
The Query Monitor further shows 13 duplicated queries which might unnecessarily expand the load time, but not one of those is related to WPML.

Further, I did not receive any information about your server and on our test so far the WP Memory Limit was 40M. I changed to the recommended 256M.
Also updating PHP and MySQL can enhance the website and server performance.

Now, I tested again and run the site with WPML plugins and WooCommerce only:

- Page Generation Time on Store page = 2.0 - 3.5 (First load 3.3 seconds)

Then I tested with WPML plugins only but without WCML:

- Page Generation Time on Store page = 1.4 - 1.7 (First load 2.3 seconds)

Finally a test with all plugins again:

- Page Generation Time on Store page = 3.8 - 4.7 (First load 6.3 seconds)

Conclusion:
As you can see the delay on page generation time caused by WPML and pretty minimal. Even without WPML, there is a page-load of an average of 4 seconds on our test server.

If you enable the WP-Debug Feature and visit the page for a while you will find a debug.log file in the wp-content folder. Here I received similar notifications about the usage of deprecated PHP methods and classes, but nothing related to WPML.

As the impact of WPML is actually less than 2 seconds we usually would not handle this ticket as a performance issue for now. Anyhow, I am contacting our performance engineer about this request and I will get back to you if we need some further information.

Please feel free to reach out to us again, if you experience any issues with the translations.

Kind regards
Andreas