This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
April 25, 2019 at 1:43 pm #3682887

stephaneM-32

Hello,

I am trying to: make sitelinks appears correctly in French

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link..35i39l2j0j0i20i263j0l6.425659.426181..426425...0.0..0.115.543.5j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i131j0i67j0i10.lVUBBYCBVBA

I expected to see: Titles in french not in english

Instead, I got: some titles in english but URL in french and vice versa

Note that we have automatic redirection with 24 hours delay and we cannot deactivate it

April 25, 2019 at 11:26 pm #3686333

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. The sitelinks have been defined by Google as relevant to these links. Maybe Google will show more relevant results later in the search.

Also, as explained in our documentation, using redirect can impact your site's indexing: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/automatic-redirect-based-on-browser-language/how-browser-language-redirect-affects-google-indexing/

That is, in addition to Google at this time see these links as relevant, the redirect feature can impact Google indexing - and may be impacting these links at this moment. Unfortunately, in this case, the only solution would be to disable the redirect feature.

Thank you.

April 26, 2019 at 5:58 am #3687945

stephaneM-32

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for your help. Which plugin or functionnality do you advise in order human visitors are redirected in their language automatically without Google indexing ?

Thanks

April 26, 2019 at 4:48 pm #3692365

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hi,

It is not recommended to do a redirect for humans and another for Google - or prevent Google from following these redirects. This may cause some kind of punishment by Google. According to our documentation: Google is very consistent about its instructions about indexing. You must allow GoogleBot to index your site exactly like visitors see it. Avoid what Google calls sneaky redirects (hidden link).

For this reason, unfortunately, I do not know any plugins that do this redirect. At the moment, the only recommendation I could give to avoid problems would be to disable the redirect feature and wait for a few days for Google to re-index your site and maybe update the sitelinks index.

Thank you.