Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Pawel Wawrzyniak 5 years, 10 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Pawel Wawrzyniak.

Author Posts
February 3, 2014 at 9:44 am #332041

francoC-2

Hi
the site hidden link have 3 languages: English (default), French abd Italian.
The permalink structure we choice is: Different languages in directories (hidden link - English, hidden link - French). Only Pages and no posts at the moment.

Builiding the sitemap only with pages and author posts with Seo by Yoas that you suggest I have not different sitemaps for each languages that I want to indicate to Google WebMaster tool.
How to do that?

Thanks

February 3, 2014 at 11:31 am #332138

Pawel Wawrzyniak

Hello,

You have choosen to have different languages in directories.
To generate sitemap per language with Yoast's WordPress SEO plugin could you please look at this solution:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/re-using-wpml-and-yoast-seo-plugin-for-language-specific-xml-sitemaps/#post-144751

You will need to add a little code snippet to your functions.php.

Please remember to make a backup of functions.php file.

Please let me know if you are satisfied with my answer and
if I can help you with any other questions you might have.

Thank you

February 3, 2014 at 12:50 pm #332225

francoC-2

I did it
Now i get 3 sitemaps only for pages. (i need only for page at the moment)
hidden link
hidden link
hidden link
That I've submitted to Google webmaster.
I will do that also with Bing

2 Problems: A
First: With this new config the automation to send ping to Google and Yahoo after publishing a post do not works properly because Seo Yoast send to Google and Yahoo only the sitemap in main language. hidden link and not the single sitemaps.

Second: Link to sitemap index in sitemap pages
The only problem is that in all the sitemaps pages (French and Italian) i get the link to the Sitemap Main index that is in the English main language that is only in English
hidden link
I tried to find translations with String Translation but I can't find the string

Thanks for support

February 4, 2014 at 7:22 am #332695

Pawel Wawrzyniak

Hi,

I'm consulting our developers and will get back to you as soon as I have any news.

Thank you for your patience

February 5, 2014 at 9:45 am #333616

Pawel Wawrzyniak

Hello,

Thank you for your patience.

When you use WPML together with WordPress SEO by Yoast, you’ll get individual sitemaps – one per language only for language-per-domain configuration (more details you can find here: http://wpml.org/2011/12/wpml-2-4-2-content-duplication-and-wysiwyg-custom-fields/ in section Seo Love with Per-Language Sitemaps)

Currently we are not supporting separate sitemaps for language-per-directory configuraton. According to following suggestions: hidden link, we have've already implemented rel="alternate" hreflang="x" solution to allow Google easly find correct language, based on content of your page.
More information you can find here: http://wpml.org/documentation/support/multilingual-seo/ (in section How to Apply Good SEO to Multilingual Sites). To activate this setting go to "WPML > Languages and mark checkbox Display alternative languages in the HEAD section (in SEO Options section).

There are also some additional suggestions from Google how to add hreflang to sitemaps (hidden link).
Since this is something where the plugin author needs to be involved in we will contact him about it. I would suggest you do the same as the chances for his to respond to our effords to reach him increase.
I have forwarded the details to our Themes & Plugins Compatibility Team.

We are closing the ticket but we will keep it in our records and will notify you if we will have any news.

February 5, 2014 at 10:18 am #333657

francoC-2

Hi Pawel
thanks for your answer but for me the ticket is not closed.
I did not resolved the question and i need to do it.

What is wrote in section
"SEO Love with Per-Language Sitemaps"
@ page http://wpml.org/2011/12/wpml-2-4-2-content-duplication-and-wysiwyg-custom-fields/
do not appens in the site.
When I open the file hidden link I only see English original links in the sitemap and not all the languages files.

And also referring to the section:
"How to Apply Good SEO to Multilingual Sites"
@ page http://wpml.org/documentation/support/multilingual-seo/
i can't find the code you suggest that i have to find in My home Page hidden link
something like:
<link rel="alternate" hreflang="xx-XX" href="hidden link..... />
also if the check box at the config admin section is activated.

Please find me a solution for a correct config.
I you need i can give the admin access to te site to check and resolve it.
If do you think that I'ive to use a better xml sitemap plugin that works tell me.
Fabrizio

February 5, 2014 at 2:22 pm #333930

Pawel Wawrzyniak

Hi Fabrizio,

> When I open the file hidden link
> I only see English original links in the sitemap and not all the languages files.

Please remove code you've added to your function.php file to generate different sitemaps per language. After that change all pages should be visible in one sitemap at hidden link

Could you please make sure that you have latest WordPress, WPML and WPML add-on installed (if any)?

Thank you

February 5, 2014 at 5:22 pm #334090

francoC-2

Hi Pawel
I'm a little confused.
in a previous post You told me to modify the functions.php file to have 3 different sitemaps (one for each language) and to send to Google through Google webmaster tools the 3 sitemaps. I've done it and Google accept the sitemaps. One per language.

Now you sugest me to go back and to generate only one sitemap. But in this case I do not telle to google that I've 3 languages.

I do not want Google consider all this changhes a mess and penalize my site for dupe

Best will be to modify the seo plugin to have the index file linking to te propre language sitemap.

The WPML Plugin Version is 3.0.1
WP is 3.7.1 and I do not consider to ugrade due to customisations and plugin compatibiliy that I did. I do not want to re check all plugins each time WordPress change is core.

February 6, 2014 at 9:31 am #334455

Pawel Wawrzyniak

Hi Fabrizio,

I'm sorry, I didn't want to confuse you.

Please let me clarify.

Using WPML together with WordPress SEO by Yoast will allow you to generate separate sitemaps for each language ONLY if each language is under different domain (or subdomain). YOu can find details here: http://wpml.org/2011/12/wpml-2-4-2-content-duplication-and-wysiwyg-custom-fields/
Unfortuantely this will not work with your configuration with languages in subfolders (domain.com/en, domain.com/de etc.)

The tip I've mentioned at the beginning is a workaround and, as you noticed, it is not perfect.
Using it you can generate separate sitemaps for each language, but with some problems.

As you can read here hidden link
"webmasters will benefit from Sitemap submission, and in no case will you be penalized for it."
So please do not worry about Google to penalize you.

To make our integration with WordPress SEO by Yoast even better we are working on Google suggestions to add hreflang attributes to sitemaps (hidden link).
It will be perfect solution which will allow you to send one sitemap to Google Webmaster Central with full language information. This is something where the WordPress SEO by Yoast author needs to be involved so it could take some time.

Right now, with your website configuration, you can generate and import to Google Webmaster Central, only one sitemap with all languages included.

Hope this helps

The topic ‘[Closed] Sitemap.xml’ is closed to new replies.