This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 31 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by michelleH-5 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Diego Pereira.

Author Posts
May 9, 2019 at 3:18 pm #3777637

michelleH-5

Hi,

We are seeing a lot of performance issues with our site which appear to be related to our WPML installation. The issues include a high time to first byte load time, slow backend performance and frequent timeouts when performing backend work.

I have spoken to our host, WPEngine and they have told me:

"It seems that this site drives a lot of apache usage from it's multi-language functionality... each hit takes 4 seconds for a query to run, and while it keeps flowing that builds up quite a bit. We took some steps to disable transients and reduce the amount of autoloaded data, but aside from some optimization on the WPML side of things, there's not much more we can do from our end."

I've followed the performance debugging walkthrough you provide and it gave me the following results: https://pastebin.com/76qAiFaS

Any help or advise on steps we can take to reduce the amount stress WPML is causing on our server would be great, as we're currently looking to add more languages to our site, but until this issue is resolved, we are reluctant.

Thanks,
Joe

May 9, 2019 at 6:11 pm #3778659

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello Joe, welcome to the WPML support Forum!

Here is some tips on how you can improve performance on some points:
- Check if your server meet the minimum WPML/WordPress requirements
WPML: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/
WordPress: https://wordpress.org/about/requirements/

Please take a look at this article to see how to optimize your website with WPML: https://wpml.org/2012/01/can-your-site-run-faster/

Please go to WPML → Support → Troubleshooting and click on "Recreate ST DB Cache tables", after that visit the pages of the website a few times to recreate the cache tables.

Please check auto-registered domains in WPML → String Translation and make sure that all domains are included.

Also, disable the following settings:
- Adjust IDs for multilingual functionality (WPML → Languages)
- Track where strings appear (WPML → String translation)

More details on this link: https://wpml.org/faq/prevent-performance-issues-with-wpml/

Please let me know if it worked for you of if the performance issues persist after that.

All the best,
Diego

May 10, 2019 at 8:16 am #3782129

michelleH-5

Hi Diego,

Thanks for your reply. I has gone through and checked everything you have recommended, but unfortunately we're still not seeing any improvements. In fact, I had already previously disabled the 'Adjust ID's' and 'Track where strings appear' settings and all domains were already included as well.

I did clear the 'ST Cache Tables', however with 11 languages and 50-80 pages per language, visiting them all a few times with the slow speed is going go be a little difficult.

I was checking out our autoloaded data and we've currently got a total of 1.6MB (although this was 2.6MB before WPEngine did some work to reduce it). Of that 1.6MB, it appears that the four WPML options below are using .82MB (over 50%), which is in itself higher than what WPE recommend as a whole site max for when using their object caching functionality.

_WPML_TP_Pickup_Logger = 0.28MB
_icl_cache = 0.21MB
wpml_translation_services = 0.19MB
wp_installer_settings = 0.14MB

Have you got any other recommendations for what we can do to help improve our site speed?

Thanks,
Joe

May 13, 2019 at 11:30 am #3797495

michelleH-5

Hi Diego,

Thanks, I have just migrated our site over to the cloudways server you set up for me.

In terms of replication, it's the site and backend editor in general that is slow. Again, I am only going off what our host, WPE is telling me is causing the issues, which is the large amount of resource the WPML plugins are using.

Thanks,
Joe

May 14, 2019 at 12:36 pm #3806783

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi there,

Thanks. I checked the website and it seems that the migration not worked (see screenshot). In this case, Please send us access to your WordPress dashboard (website URL, login and password) I'll check and do some tests. - Please use the private field to send the sensitive data - do not post if you do not see it.

It would be better if you give me a test site rather than the live site.

IMPORTANT Please backup a working copy of site files and database before.

Please also install these oplugins, they will allow me to take a copy of the website:
Duplicator: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/
File Manager: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-file-manager/
All-in-one WP Migration hidden link
Adminer: https://wordpress.org/plugins/ari-adminer/

Kind regards,
Diego

May 15, 2019 at 1:18 pm #3816851

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hello Joe,

Thank you very much. I tried to access the website but there is a window asking for another credentials (see screenshot). I tried the credentials provided but it not worked. Could you please check? I will enable the private field again in case you need to send more credentials.

Kind regards,
Diego

May 15, 2019 at 2:13 pm #3817549

michelleH-5

Apologies Diego, this is just to stop anyone from stumbling across the site and accessing it.

The details are:

EDIT - that didn't seem to post as private? I have updated the previous private response with the details.

Thanks
Joe

May 16, 2019 at 5:23 pm #3828323

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hello joe,

Thank you, it worked. i need to create a copy of the website to run some tests and forward to our DEV team. I tried several times with duplicator, but it not worked.

I will now try with All in one WP Migration or a manual export/import. i will send you a feedback soon.

Kind regards
Diego

May 17, 2019 at 9:53 am #3832881

michelleH-5

Thanks Diego!

Let me know if you need anything else from me!

Joe

May 17, 2019 at 6:52 pm #3836569

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hello Joe,

Could you send us a database dump (database export)? I tried to duplicate using AIO WP Migration. It generates a gib package (3gb) but the download is stopped after 50%.

I will try to duplicate manually, and for this I will need the themes/plugins folder and a database dump. I already downloaded the folders and tried to export only the database using duplicator but it not worked.

Kind regards,
Diego

May 20, 2019 at 7:50 am #3844437

michelleH-5

Hi Diego,

Everytime I try to upload the zip file, I get an HTTP Error. I have a link to the download, but I don't appear to be able to send a private reply without a file attached.

Joe

May 20, 2019 at 12:06 pm #3846621

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hi there,

I enabled the private field again with a different template (credentials), so you don't need to attach the file. Please send us the URL to download.

Please let me know if it worked.

Kind regards,
Diego

May 21, 2019 at 6:40 am #3852257

michelleH-5

Hi,

A quick update on our side, we were experiencing a number of 504s yesterday, so I reached out to our hosts and was informed that it was WPML causing these slow downs, and in turn the 504s.

Our host had this to say: "It looks like most of your slowness on your site is being caused by the WPML plugin, as its generating a ton of function calls that are bogging down page load on the front end which in turn is causing the backend to run slow as the server has to work to get through all of the requests the front end is making.

Most notably, both the
wp_setup_nav_menu_item and
WPML_ST_DB_Cache::get_translation are the main problems stemming from this plugin. Attached are screenshots of a few traces I've found from today that are causing this issue."

Thanks,
Joe

May 21, 2019 at 7:03 pm #3858363

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hi there,

The Error 504 is related to timeouts. Have you tried the Recreate ST DB Cache option on WPML > Support > Torubleshootting? It should fix the issue related with WPML_ST_DB_Cache::get_translation.

Anyway, I created a copy of the website using the database dump and got some slow queries on my local install. So I escalated to our 2nd tier support to further debug. The queue is a bit high so it may take a little more time to get feedback.

We will send you a feedback soon.

Kind regards,
Diego

May 22, 2019 at 7:40 am #3862617

michelleH-5

Hey,

Yeah, so I have previously cleared out the ST cache a number of times, it seems to help temporarily, but then things just slow down again eventually. We have been advised that reducing the heartbeat Ajax call may help with some of the load we're seeing from the WPML plugins, not sure if there is anything else you can advise which may help in the short term?

Thanks for escalating to 2nd tier support as well, I will keep my eyes open for a response.

Thanks
Joe