Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Radu.

Author Posts
February 11, 2021 at 10:18 am

stefanoB-52

Our backend is very slow, even after opening app all server resources (we have a premium server account with Siteground).

February 11, 2021 at 10:52 am
February 11, 2021 at 11:21 am
February 11, 2021 at 12:10 pm #8061153

Radu

Hey Stefano,

Thank you for creating a staging website. I tried again to edit the same Disegno del Mese menu and it seems that the issue is still there, even if WPML is inactive. I created a quick video here: hidden link.

Every time I just save the menu, it takes at least 10 seconds to finish the job. Looks like there's this error on the Query Monitor:
Unknown: Input variables exceeded 3000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini.

Again, this is a test with WPML deactivate. In this case, can you reach out to the hosting provider and ask him to increase the max_input_vars value to 10000, please? Just give me a message back once this change is done so I can try again to save the menu with WPML inactive and see if the time improves.

Thanks,
Radu

February 11, 2021 at 4:29 pm #8063547

stefanoB-52

Hi,
here below Siteground reply

"max_input_vars is set to 3000 and is well above the requirements for any plug in on WP and also WPML minimum requirements are met, this is not involved in the speed on the WP backend in this case we suggest addressing the issue back to WPML team. It's my understanding that the issue is caused by WPML.

My suggestion would be to first contact their support team for a resolution. For reference, you can send them the log error, and point them to this thread: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/504-errors-since-i-installed-wpml/

https://wpml.org/forums/forum/english-support/"

February 11, 2021 at 4:37 pm #8063737

stefanoB-52

We have provided all the info requested but no support so far has been address correctly to our website.

Your plugin when enabled is double almost triple our requests on the db when enabled, and this is only running WPML plugin!
hidden link
hidden link
On our website (live) is taking over 30seconds!!! Every developer and other plug in contacted is addressing this issue to WPML, obviously is impossible to run a WP with only WPML perhaps your video showing us that you are fine working with only WPML enabled is irrelevant. We want to find a solution in order to keep WPML working efficently on our website, if this is impossible then we have to switch to another plug in.

Please help us in a professional manner otherwise we have no other solution than change to another plug in with better performance and tech support.
Looking forward for a solution to our issue.
With regards

Screenshot_3.jpg
February 12, 2021 at 12:05 pm
February 12, 2021 at 12:06 pm #8070569

Radu

Hey Stefano,

Can you have a look at my previous reply here, please?
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/slow-website-14/#post-8070519

Thanks,
Radu

February 12, 2021 at 12:24 pm #8070707

davidN-51

Hey Stefano,

Siteground is not the best provider if you run an ecommerce webshop using WooCommerce. They used to be good but somehow have really fallen behind in the last few years. If you have an ecommerce website, you will possibly want to find a better (faster) host at some point. Siteground shared servers are pretty slow and to be honest not that cheap either.

PS - Yes WPML does slow your site down too. We notice this as we have a site with WPML and one without, so a direct comparison is very easy. However your issue seems to be something else!

February 15, 2021 at 10:43 pm #8091295

stefanoB-52

Hi Radu, thanks for your kind email.

I've completed the migration process, please let me know if there are any updates for this.

Thanks
Rgds

February 16, 2021 at 12:21 pm #8096941

Radu

Hey Stefano,

Thank you for taking care of the migration. I checked the migrated website, deactivated everything except for WPML, checked the errors log, but couldn't find why is this happening. It seems that on the slow queries (from the Query monitor plugin) there are some wpfp variables appearing.

I had to ask my colleagues to have a look at this. I'll keep you posted about this as soon as I get a message back (which shouldn't take long).

Thanks,
Radu

February 22, 2021 at 12:12 pm #8144613

Radu

Hey Stefano,

Sorry for the late reply on this one. I wasn't able to find a fix for this by myself so I had to escalate this to the 2nd tier support for a closer check.

I just wanted to let you know that I didn't forget about this ticket. I'll be coming back to you as soon as I have some updates from my colleagues.

Thanks,
Radu

March 11, 2024 at 12:49 pm #15395184

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello!

I wanted to update you on this. we have been gradually shipping performance improvements since the opening of the tickets and the 2 major ones we'll ship will come in 4.6.10 which is due in March (this month, so its release is near!) and then 4.7 which should be released in a few months.

I Apologize for the communication delay, we had to deal with a lot of code refactoring to make this happening and we will keep doing this for a while (we can do it now that WP is also doing the same!)

You can test our latest version, always remembering to update in this way if you haven't updated for a while: https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-safely-update-wpml-from-an-old-to-new-version/

Regards.