This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 27 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Laura 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
March 4, 2019 at 11:22 am

hooiC

I am trying to: since using wpml, to load our home page takes 20 seconds and the website speed is not acceptable. we have checked some of the suggestions in this link https://wpml.org/2012/01/can-your-site-run-faster/ and the minute we deactivated wpml. the speed was under 2 sec to load the Home Page

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

March 4, 2019 at 11:59 am
March 4, 2019 at 1:00 pm #3268755

hooiC

Hi Laura, the development site is now backed up. you will noticed that on our development site, we have deactivated wpml 4 plugins and also WooC multilingual plugin . you will need to activate this on your copy which you are testing. also , our IT consultant said In terms of cache – its memcache not disk.

March 4, 2019 at 2:12 pm #3269212

hooiC

Hi Laura please can you confirm you are looking at my issue above?

March 4, 2019 at 3:03 pm #3269444

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

I'm taking a copy of your site at the moment, I'll let you have news as soon as possible.

March 4, 2019 at 4:45 pm #3269964

hooiC

Hi Laura earlier in our chat, i didn't properly address all your questions.
1. are you sure you are meeting all WPML minimum requirements? Please check here: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/
yes

2. Can you confirm that the following settings are OFF or disabled:
- Adjust IDs for multilingual functionality (WPML > Languages) – (user: it was originally enabled and then recently disabled to see if it will be improve website speed).
- Track where strings appear on the site (WPML > String translation) - (user: disabled)
3. Can you give me more information about the hardware of your hosting server including the CPU? What type of hosting do you have? Shared, VPS, Dedicated, etc? (user: Amazon hosting – t3.medium servers ~ VPS.)
4. Do you know if object caching is part of your PHP setup? PHP < 5.5 should be APC. Newer versions should use the zend op cache, uAPC will also work though but is slower. ( iIT consultant: memcached for object caching.)
5. Can you confirm that you are still experiencing performance issues with minimal set up (all plugins except WPML disabled and the theme on a WordPress default such as Twenty Fifteen) ? (user: yes, still experiencing performance issues with minimal setup but the theme we used to test with wpml was Avada/Fusion. we did not try WP default. please can you try this for us in your test site?).thank you

Laura : 6. Are you using a cache plugin such as W3 total cache? If so, try disabling the cache plugin. (user: yes, disabled the cache plugin, but no noticeable speed improvement.)
7. Make sure Disk caching is disabled. Memcache not disk caching
8. Please use tools like pingdom (tools.pingdom.com), google pagespeed insights or gtmetrix (hidden link) to find more factors that affect the speed of your site on the frontend. Already using gtmetrix.
One of the factors we think affecting loading time is a woo commerce ajax script which we know runs in the shop but we don't know where this is coming from. this affects the loading time with a 5.87s wait on updating the cart icon on the main page.
Just thought I mentioned, things seemed to have got worse since 10pm 19Feb 2019 -something happened at the time as I could not save the translation i was working on. the website was slow but it got worse since then. then in order to be able to use Advanced translation editor last week, our IT consultant increased the sql size to the maximum.

March 4, 2019 at 5:26 pm #3270140

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi,

thanks for the other information. I tested the copy but I have to say I don't experience the issue - the home page with WPML takes about 5-6 second to load (still much, but not as worrying as 30 seconds).

I tried to enable WPML on the staging site and it seems I get more or less the same times.
Then I tried to switch to another language and I got
"Error 503 Backend fetch failed
Backend fetch failed

Guru Meditation:
XID: 229516

Varnish cache server"

But this could be due to a different configuration. Could be possible to install a tool like Query monitor (it's a WordPress plugin) so to see which are the loading times and how many queries there are?

March 4, 2019 at 5:44 pm #3270171

hooiC

Hi Laura is it possible to load wp query monitor on your staging site and test? otherwise, please let me know if this an easy plugin to install on the development site and a non-technical person like me will understand? Is it possible to take the load page 5-6 sec Home page to 1 sec? with regard to the error message, i will check with IT consultant to see if he knows what the problem is and we will get back to you. did you enable the woocommerce multilingual too in addition to the 4 wpml plugins? in your test site, did you update the wordpress plugin and woocommerce plugin?

March 5, 2019 at 11:00 am #3273120

hooiC

Hi Laura, on your error :"Then I tried to switch to another language and I got
"Error 503 Backend fetch failed"- our IT consultant suggested that you update the url's on your environment. I hope you understand this suggestion. with regard to wp query monitor, the IT consultant requested you to install on your staging site and not on our development site. Our development site went down at 5pm yesterday(4th March) and IT consultant informed me this morning has to alot of database errors at 5pm. the development site is back on now. would be grateful for your help on resolving the speed issue as soon as you can as we are launching in a week's time.

March 5, 2019 at 12:09 pm #3273691

hooiC

Hi Laura I hope you don't mind me updating you with more info. I just displayed all the languages on the front end of the website and it took 12 seconds to move from Deustch to English and 8 sec to move from English to Deustcha and 8 sec from Deutsch to Dutch.

March 5, 2019 at 2:37 pm #3274562

hooiC

Hi Laura, we have not heard from you today. are you still looking at this urgent issue? I hope you are using your own copy for testing as the development site is our current master copy with the language content.

March 6, 2019 at 9:45 am #3277859

hooiC

Hi Laura please can you confirm you are working on this issue today? are you able to navigate to languages. it works on the development site.

March 6, 2019 at 12:50 pm #3279008

hooiC

Hi Laura I am very concerned you have not responded. Please can you confirm you are assisting with our issue today?

March 6, 2019 at 1:21 pm #3279183

hooiC

Hi Laura, our IT consultant requested not to access our web development site from 3.45pm(UK time) onwards today as he is maintaining the system. I will let you know tomorrow morning when you can access again. thank you

March 6, 2019 at 1:43 pm #3279280

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

sorry for the late reply but I wasn't working yesterday and we have a huge workload at the moment.

I think there is a misunderstanding - the error I got was on hidden link, NOT on my copy of the site, and I was suggesting to install Query Monitor there because on the copy everything works fine and the loading times are okay.
In this moment, the homepage loads at 4.34s, "planning your pregnancy" at 2.35s, "mylotus app" at 4.69s

I cannot see results for the other languages as you use different domains.
I tested hidden link with PageSpeed and I got similar results.
For hidden link I got about 8 seconds. I'm going to ask a second opinion on how to proceed.

The topic ‘[Closed] slow website’ is closed to new replies.