This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
September 14, 2019 at 6:43 am

williamk-20

Hi, this is the restart of the topic at https://wpml.org/forums/topic/slower-performance-after-using-wpml/

I have created the duplicator package, can you let me know once you downloaded the file, I would like to delete the link immediately.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really like to make this WPML to work without affecting the performance of the woocommerce store, performance was the only thing that stop me from using WPML.

I have set all the 4 options accordingly to increase the performance as in
https://wpml.org/faq/prevent-performance-issues-with-wpml/

Already using PHP 7.2
Increase the memory limit to 1GB
Using the W3 Total Cache

When there's no any WPML plugin activated, this is the TTFB in Google Chrome developer shows when add an item to the cart in seconds.

= average of 1.1931 seconds

When these plugins are activated

WPML Multilingual CMS
String Translation
Translation Management
WooCommerce Multilingual

and add to cart using the main default currency USD

= average of 1.793 seconds

when the plugins above are activated, add to cart using secondary currency EUR

= average of 2.318 seconds

The difference between the slowest (using WPML plugins with EUR) and the fastest (without any plugins) is 1.1249 seconds (2.318 - 1.1931) , that's quite a lot for me.

Anymore further performance tuning I can possibly do ?

September 18, 2019 at 5:52 am #4592615

williamk-20

Hi, is anybody investigating on this ??

September 19, 2019 at 7:00 am #4601827

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey William,

I'm on this ticket, as I promised 🙂

Regarding the performance part, we actually worked very hard in the last few months to change the way that WPML works. All this work was done especially for speed improvements. Now, can you create a staging/development website, create a copy of your current website on it, and install the beta versions of WPML, String Translation, and Translation Management on it, please?

You can easily download this version of the plugins from here https://wpml.org/account/downloads/ by pressing the bubble i button, next to the plugins versions. Just download the version from the top of the page (from each plugin), install them on your website, and tell me if there's any improvement.

Thanks,
Radu

September 19, 2019 at 9:30 am #4603007

williamk-20

Hi, I can see some improvement in the speed, but not sure if it's the server intermittent fluctuation, but still slower when the 4 WPML plugins are activated (add to cart TTFB 0.8 - 2.0, mostly at 1.5 seconds) . Faster when all are deactivated (add to cart TTFB 0.6 - 1.8 seconds range, mostly at 1 second)

Attached is the beta version that I have updated. I can give you the login to the staging environment if you need.

Can I know if this beta versions already safe to use in production environment ?

Also for Woocommerce store, the essential plugin are just WPML Multilingual CMS, WooCommerce Multilingual plugins right ? I meant when the translation work is done, I can deactviate the String Translation and Translation Management plugins ?

Thanks

September 22, 2019 at 10:05 pm #4619523

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey William,

I'm glad to hear that there are some improvements on the loading speed.

Every functionality that's added to your website is gonna require some time to load. The WPML is definitely gonna need some loading time too. As I mentioned before, our team worked a lot to improve this (by finding a different way to make everything work) but it's hard to see no difference in the loading speed values. As I can see, the difference between with and without WPML is about 0.2 seconds which is pretty normal. I'll double check this with my colleagues and see if this value is indeed pretty high and if I'll need a copy of your website so we can investigate it further.

As long as there's no issue with the translations and no error appeared on your staging website, having these plugins installed on the production environment should cause no issue. We are still working on this and keep improving it.

Regarding the last part, you can see here all the plugin that are needed in order to use WooCommerce with WPML https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/woocommerce-multilingual/#required-plugins.

Thanks,
Radu

The topic ‘[Closed] Slower Performance After Using WPML’ is closed to new replies.