This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Please make sure to update to WPML to the latest and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Dražen Duvnjak 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Dražen Duvnjak.

Author Posts
February 14, 2020 at 1:27 pm #5494357

Anton Lysak

Hi,

I am from the Smartcat Support team, one of the translation services you provide connector to.

One of our clients contacted us regarding Chinese langauges support.

When they try to send a document to Smartcat with target languages like Chinese Simplified (zh-hans) or Chinese Traditional (zh-hant), WPML does not allow doing that: hidden link

But we do support those language codes.

You can check a full list of supported languages here: hidden link

Keep in mind, you need to be logged in to Smartcat to see it. I assume, you have a demo account for that. But in case you don't have access to it at the moment, here's the part with Chinese languages: hidden link

February 17, 2020 at 9:20 am #5505711

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hello!

Welcome to WPML Support.

I'll do my best to help you solve this issue.

I think this issue might be caused by different locale naming in WordPresss/WPML system and Smartcat.

As I can see on your side language is named zh-Hant and our side it is zh-hant.

Is there any way you or your client can test this out and see if this works by adding custom language and assing its locale to zh-Hant. Then send this language for translation.

You can add new languages by doing the following:
- WPML -> Languages -> Site Languages -> Edit Languages.
- After that you will end up on a Edit Languages screen. Here you will click Add Language on the bottom right and then fill at minimum these fields:
- Language name - Code - Flag - Default locale - Encode URLs - hreflang
- Make sure to carefully select Code since this is the field you cannot change later.

Please let me know how it goes and don't hesitate to ask if you find any problem along the way or have doubts or questions about the steps mentioned above, I'll do my best to help you in the best way possible.

Regards,
Drazen

February 17, 2020 at 1:44 pm #5507985

Anton Lysak

Hi Drazen,

It does not allow me to add a new language with code "zh-Hans" since it already exists ("zh-hans"). I assume, it is case-insensitive.

I tried to create a project with the following target language codes:zh-Hant,zh-hant,zh-Hans, zh-hans
It works just fine.

February 17, 2020 at 2:33 pm #5508327

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hi Anton,

thanks for the reply.

I tried to create a project with the following target language codes:zh-Hant,zh-hant,zh-Hans, zh-hans. It works just fine.

I am not sure what do you mean by this, a project in Smartcat probably?

Can you please confirm if the issue still exist. If yes, is it replicable on a clean demo site?

Please let me know, so I can escalate this to our developers team if needed.

Thanks and regards,
Drazen

February 17, 2020 at 2:53 pm #5508421

Anton Lysak

Dear Drazen,

>I am not sure what do you mean by this, a project in Smartcat probably?

Yeah, exactly. The reason why I brought it up is that difference in lang code case does not matter for Smartcat, but you (WPML) still check for this and based on that make a decision if lang codes are supported or not.

>Can you please confirm if the issue still exist. If yes, is it replicable on a clean demo site?
Issue is still there. Yes, I can replicate it on our demo site.
Was you able to reproduce it too?
It is quite easy to do: just try to send a post to Smartcat with zh-Hans or zh-Hant target language codes.

February 17, 2020 at 3:45 pm #5508947

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Thanks for the reply, Anton.

I will check on this with one of our developers and get back to you. If needed we will escalate this ticket to 2nd tier support.

We will try to work as fast as possible on solving this issue and we will let you know as soon as we have a fix to your problem.

Thank you for patience.

Regards,
Drazen

February 18, 2020 at 7:17 am #5512781

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hi Anton,

I just wanted to let you know that I've escalated this ticket to our developers team.

They are taking a look at the issue and I will let you know as soon as they have updates.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
Drazen

February 19, 2020 at 8:56 am #5521537

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hi Anton,

thanks for your patience.

I have updates on this issue. Language code mapping zh-hant:zh-Hant for Chinese (traditional) was added for Smartcat service by our developers team.

Can you please test it again and let me know if now everything is working as expected.

Waiting for your feedback.

Regards,
Drazen

February 19, 2020 at 3:38 pm #5525545

Anton Lysak

Hi Drazen,

No errors so far, great! Thanks!

But I'd like to point out that zh-hans in WPML mapped to zh-Hans-CN in Smartcat, which is not perferctly suitable, I guess. I'd go with zh-Hans, with no -CN part. Do you think it is a good idea to change that behavior? Please, let me know!

February 19, 2020 at 3:57 pm #5525771

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hi Anton,

great to hear!

Can you just please confirm there are no issues with both target languages, Chinese Simplified and Chinese Traditional.

As for zh-Hans-CN code, yes I agree with your suggestion.

Please just confirm that you want to change the mapping to zh-Hans, and I will forward that request to our developers.

I'll be waiting for your answer.

Regards, Drazen

February 19, 2020 at 5:23 pm #5526389

Anton Lysak

Dear Drazen,

Yes, I confirm that I want to change the mapping for "zh-hans" from "zh-Hans-CN" to "zh-Hans", which makes most sense to me.

>"Can you just please confirm there are no issues with both target languages, Chinese Simplified and Chinese Traditional."

Yes, I confirm that I was able to send a document with zh-hans and zh-hant target languages to Smartcat with no problems.

February 20, 2020 at 7:55 am #5530193

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Thank you Anton, that's great to hear.

I have forward your request to our developers.

I will be updating you soon on this matter.

Thank you and regards,

Drazen

February 20, 2020 at 10:59 am #5532079

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hi Anton,

I have just received confirmation from our developers that they have corrected the mapping as per your request.

It is now:

zh-hans:zh-Hans

Please test it and let me know if there is some issue.

I hope I was helpful. Don't hesitate to ask if you find any problem along the way, I'll gladly help you.

Regards,
Drazen