Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The client would like to translate the URL to social network profile in different languages for different social accounts for each language.

Solution: You could install the Widget Logic plugin. This allows you to add a separate widget for each language and set the individual widgets to display only in those languages. This link can walk you through the instructions: http://wpml.org/2011/03/howto-display-different-widgets-per-language/

Relevant Documentation: http://wpml.org/2011/03/howto-display-different-widgets-per-language/

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Dimitri 3 years, 10 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
March 25, 2016 at 9:02 am #845851

Dimitri

I am trying to: translate the URL to my social network profile in different languages as I have different social account for each language

URL of (my) website where problem appears:

hidden link

I expected to see:

a different URL when I switch my website from a language to another

Instead, I got:

the same URL

Steps to duplicate the issue:

I've translated the social URL with string translation as you can see here:

hidden link

but on front-end this translation has not been applied.

Thank you

March 25, 2016 at 7:01 pm #846267

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-05:00)

Hi Dimitri, thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

Please go to WPML > Theme and plugin localization and make sure that "Translate the theme and plugins using WPML's String Translation" is selected. If this is already selected, please deactivate all plugins except for WPML related plugins, and temporarily switch to the default theme Twenty Fourteen. Then please let me know if the problem persists or if this resolves it. This is just to help me identify if it might be a conflict with another plugin or theme that is causing the problem.

Thanks, I look forward to your reply.
Lauren

March 29, 2016 at 7:57 am #847329

Dimitri

Test made, no changes...

March 29, 2016 at 1:36 pm #847758

Lauren
Supporter

Thanks for testing that Dimitri. To best troubleshoot the problem, I would like to request temporary Administrative access to your WordPress site. Please include the Login URL, Username and Password along with your FTP connection information. Feel free to create a temporary admin user solely for this purpose.

Your next reply will be private, only you and I will have access to it, I look forward to your reply!

IMPORTANT: Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. You may need to refresh your screen once you are logged in to see these fields. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this: hidden link

Thanks,
Lauren

March 29, 2016 at 9:10 pm #848095

Lauren
Supporter

Hi Dimitri, I would like to set up a copy of your site locally so that I can continue testing. Is it okay if I install the duplicator plugin to create a snapshot of your site? Once I have it downloaded, I will delete the plugin and I will delete the test site once I am done testing.

Please let me know if that is okay. Thanks!
Lauren

March 29, 2016 at 10:46 pm #848137

Dimitri

yes you can.

March 30, 2016 at 7:49 pm #849362

Lauren
Supporter

Hi Dimitri, thanks for permission to create the snapshot. I was able to replicate the problem on my local version of your site.

As far as I can see, the Social Media Widget plugin is not listed in our compatibility list: http://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/

We can suggest the plugin's author to join our Go Global Program (https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/go-global-program/). If you can provide me their contact details (name + email) so we can get in touch with him, I'll be happy to escalate this ticket to our Compatibility Developers so they can get in touch with the author and work together to find a resolution.

It also might help if you reach out to the author and suggest he join the Go Global Program, too.

Thanks,
Lauren

March 30, 2016 at 8:33 pm #849390

Dimitri

HI Lauren,

thank you for the "answer" but I was able to check if social media widget was in your compatibility list by myself..

anyway could you suggest to me an alternative plugin that for sure works with WPML?

March 30, 2016 at 8:43 pm #849404

Lauren
Supporter

Hi Dimitri, sometimes even though a plugin is not in our compatibility list, we can try to figure out the issue without the need to contact the author. I tried but was unable to find a solution, which is why I mentioned the Go Global link.

I do not see a specific social media plugin on our list, however that does not mean that there are not any that are compatible, just none that have joined the Go Global program or have been thoroughly tested.

There is another option. You could install the Widget Logic plugin. This allows you to add a separate widget for each language and set the individual widgets to display only in those languages. This link can walk you through the instructions: http://wpml.org/2011/03/howto-display-different-widgets-per-language/

Let me know if this solution works for you, or if not, I will be glad to continue to troubleshoot. Thanks!
Lauren

March 31, 2016 at 7:57 am #849697

Dimitri

Widget logic plugin solved my problem.

Thank you