This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 8.52 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by adriO 1 year, 8 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Otto.

Author Posts
November 17, 2017 at 10:36 am #1433662

adriO

Hi,
In the screenshots I show you two issues. I use Gravity Forms for those forms.
1) A pull downmenu with prefixes that does not appear on the other language page (Dutch)
I searched for the strings, found them and they were translated. So I deleted them and translated them again. No avail.
2) The string "Same as billing address" does not even show up in the String translation tables.
rescanning of the plugin did not help.

Any idea?

November 17, 2017 at 1:40 pm #1433933

Otto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires (GMT-03:00)

Hello Adri 🙂

Just to confirm, you are translating the GF forms following these steps, right?
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/gravity-forms-multilingual/

Is it possible for you to do the following test, to check if it is a generic bug or a specific issue with this form:
-Create a new form
-Include just the fields you are having issues with: a pull-down menu and a checkbox, right?
-Try to keep the same structure. I mean, nest them if they are nested
-Translate this form

Does it work as expected?

Thanks for your cooperation.

Let me know your results, please.

Kind Regards,

Otto

November 17, 2017 at 2:34 pm #1434032

adriO

Hi Otto,

Yes I'm following the steps outlined in the url you provided except for the step of clicking the blue button to translate. I don't have a button "Take this and translate" (why I don't? Beats me) so I take the alternative of using String Translation as recommended alternative. see one of the screenshots

I have created a test form, translated it to no avail..........

See screenshots.

As you can see the strings are translated in text domain Gravityforms but don't show translated on the Dutch pages. The string "Same as billing address" is still not coming up in the String Translation table.

November 17, 2017 at 4:53 pm #1434215

Otto
Supporter

Hello Adri,

Thanks!

To further debug the problem I'd like to replicate your site locally. For this, I'll need to temporarily install a plugin called "Duplicator" on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. If you prefer to do it on your own, you can provide me with the snapshot following these directions:

If you already know how Duplicator works (http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/), please skip the following steps and just send me the installer file and the zipped package you downloaded.

Please refer screenshot attached, remember to enable the filters and exclude this:
+ wp-uploads
+ cache
+ media
+ archive

Excluding these things will help in keeping the snapshot size minimum

:: Duplicator instructions
hidden link

. Send me both files (you probably want to use DropBox, Google Drive, or similar services, as the snapshot file will be quite big)

Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site.

I am enabling private message for your next reply so that you can send me the snapshot link or access credentials to your site.

** IMPORTANT **

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:

hidden link

Thank you for your cooperation in debugging this issue.

Kind Regards,

Otto

November 17, 2017 at 6:38 pm #1434316

Otto
Supporter

Thanks, Adri!

Yes, I managed to install the site locally.

I will check the issue and get back to you, probably on Monday hopefully sooner.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.

Have a great weekend.

Kind Regards,

Otto

November 18, 2017 at 6:02 am #1434511

adriO

Great!

I hope you are able to pin down the problem.
Have a great weekend yourself too!

Adri

November 19, 2017 at 6:27 pm #1435129

Otto
Supporter

Hello Adri,

The name prefix is not translated per form. It is stored in a serialized array in the the table _rg_form_meta.

This may be tricky to make translatable. The issue has been escalated to our devs a while ago, I am checking if it will be handled and when.

And the same is happening with the "Same as billing address".

I will get back to you as soon as I have an answer.

Kind Regards,

Otto

November 20, 2017 at 3:12 pm #1436024

adriO

Hi Otto,
Thank you for your update, although it is not making me very happy.
The fact that you had to escalate it to the dev team multiplied by the fact that it is known for some while does not sound very assuring. As a WPML client for some time now I learned that WPML is a great multi lingual solution with outstanding support. But..... When an issue is escalated to the Dev Team (or the Compat Team for that matter) it takes more than a lifetime to get a solution. And this is positively stated. It is very questionable if a solution is ever made (see my Header Image thread).

I do certainly know that the WPML plugin is very complex which is taken a whole bunch of possibilities is taken into account. But in the end I'm not gaining anything from it. Sorry if this sounds a bit cranky, that was never intended.

Do you know weglot? A plugin that translates on the fly. I have tried it for a little while and WHOOOW, WPML has a serious competitor. For now I did not gave up on WPML because of the investment it takes to implement Weglot (free up to 2.000 strings) and the kand and professional help of you, Joanna, George and (in the past) Tia.

So please try to get the whole bunch into gear. Do know that I'm aware of the fact that the Dev or Compat department is saying: "oh Adri, he has a lifetime license so we made the sales already, collected the money and that's done".

Best wishes,

Adri

November 21, 2017 at 12:46 pm #1436921

Amit
Supporter

Hi Adri,

Amit here, I am the WPML support manager.

We never take for granted our clients, especially not when they are owners of lifetime licenses, the truth is quite the opposite.

The issue you reported and Otto debugged successfully is certainly real, the thing is that it's hard to fix - the prefix strings are stored in the database, in the *_rg_form_meta table, in a serialized array which makes the work of adding them to WPML a real headache, nevertheless this is properly escalated - I will talk to our dev team today and see if we can add it to one of our next development cycles.

Please note that I can not make any promises here, and even if it does get in the correct dev board it'll take some time until we actually have a fix for that - to be absolutely honest this is quite an isolated issue not affecting many clients and hard to fix which makes its priority, not the highest.

I will update you later today on the decision.

Cheers!
Amit

November 21, 2017 at 2:53 pm #1437121

Amit
Supporter

Hi Adri,

Amit again. I have raised your issue to the WPML lead dev and this is now scheduled to be fixed, it will not be part of the next version (WPML 3.9) since it's already being tested, I hope it can make it to one of the immediate following stable versions.

I know that what is for us an isolated issue for you might be a big deal but I hope you understand we need to make sure that WPML keeps being the powerful tool it is and for that, we need to prioritize and compromise sometimes.

Anything you want feel free to let me know,

Cheers!
Amit

November 22, 2017 at 4:05 am #1437690

adriO

Hi Amit,

Thank you for your replies. It is much appreciated that the issue is solved in one of the next releases (after 3.9). I will try to be patient :-).

I think you will agree with me that when you want to give the user a great experience on the site and give customers a great feel of confidence the (minor) details become important. The better and more accurate the site is (in its translations also) the easier a sale is made.

Let's wait and see what the dev team is baking..... 🙂

Best wishes,

Adri