This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
April 22, 2019 at 8:32 am #3654559

jeffryT

Hi WPML Support,

I have several issues and question when My team trying to migrate our WPML from Staging site to Production site.

First, we create the staging with the copy source from our Production on the same server and add the WPML plugin (and registered) on our staging site hidden link and do all the setup there. After finish manage our translation on the staging, we deploy it to our production site.

After this, the problem with the production occur on a lot of places. From some missing css, missing translation, etc. I tried to check on chrome inspection tools, it shows that several CSS & JS from WPML not loaded as it still load from the hidden link instead of hidden link with the picture attach. We've been able to solve it temporary by duplicate the same source back to hidden link so when the production loads from the staging it will not broke down. And after checking a little further i'm also found that some of the translation string is missing (back to not translated).

How do i fix this issues? And for now my license is registered for hidden link ,Do i need to update my key for the production site (hidden link)? If yes, how to do that and does it required additional subscription key or i can used the previous one and change it?

I will provide WP debug later on, Thanks.

Best Regards,
Randy

April 22, 2019 at 4:28 pm #3657033

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

Can you please let me know the process that has been followed when the site was migrated from staging to production?

Usually, there should be no problems with the links if the migration and the search-and-replace-links process was running accordingly.

What we usually recommend on transfers like this (from staging environments to production) is to use a plugin like "Duplicator" - https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/ (also please check if there are any plugins that are changing the links or store old cache).

Documentation for the "Duplicator" plugin can be found here: hidden link

Here is a small tutorial on how to use Duplicator:
hidden link

After migration, register WPML in your new site and enter the new key:
Please Login to your WPML account >> go to Sites page >> Remove your old site / domain from there >> and add your new site >> it will give you New key which you can add back in your site: https://wpml.org/account/sites/

I don't know if you will be changing hostings, too, but if you are, it is also important to make sure that both your future hosting package will respect the minimum WPML recommendations.

You can find them right here:
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

That should practically be all - you can have multiple site keys inside your WPML.org account but if you will not use the staging site anymore going forward, there's no reason to keep the old key inside your WPML.org account.

I hope that you will find this information helpful and please let me know how the process goes.

Let me know if that solved your issue or if you still need help!

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

April 25, 2019 at 4:50 am #3678835

jeffryT

Hi, sorry for the late response. This is our process on doing it.

We have 2 directory in the same server for production and staging. We're doing development with WPML on the staging. And once the development is done, we switch both directory and doing some database and url adjustment on the wp-config and wp-option.

For the old cache, do you have any suggestion any plugin /how to check that out or to clear the cache on the WordPress?

April 26, 2019 at 12:13 pm #3690555

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Mihai is currently on a vacation, so I am stepping in. I can see that he already answered few questions, so not sure what else to add the moment.

If yes, how to do that and does it required additional subscription key or i can used the previous one and change it?

If you unregister staging site, that registration slot will become empty and you can fill in the production site there, no need for additional payments, you simply replace one with another.

we switch both directory and doing some database and url adjustment on the wp-config and wp-option.

Perhaps something goes wrong during this process or not everything is included, so it may be hard to figure out what. Therefore, can you try the following:
- WPML - > Support -> Troubleshooting:
-- Clear the cache in WPML

If this doesn't resolve anything, can you try what Mihai suggested - migrate the site using Duplicator and then let us know if the issue is still there?

Personally I migrate dozens of site with it each week and unless they have some database issues (corrupt entries), the process is very smooth and quick and possibly much faster than doing it manually.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

The topic ‘[Closed] Something wrong with my WPML after migration’ is closed to new replies.