Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 2.45 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Bill Lafferty 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Ahmed Mamdouh.

Author Posts
November 17, 2020 at 8:56 pm #7470247

Bill Lafferty

Hi team,

I am trying to:
Help a customer configure their website to send us requests for en-us --> es-us translations.

I expected to see:
A request for translation to appear in My Acclaro

Instead, I got:
An order is created, but the target language setting is empty and there is no source xliff file

We noted in the language setup that a red X appears next to the Spanish language (the 'delete' icon). What does this mean? (Screenshot below)

es-us is supported in our system. (Screenshot below)

Please advise, thanks!

November 18, 2020 at 3:41 pm #7476015

Ahmed Ibrahim
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Arabic (العربية )

Timezone: Africa/Cairo (GMT+02:00)

Hi, and thanks for contacting our support forum.

As I see from the debug info that you have three languages at the site:

[0] => en
[1] => zh-hant
[2] => es-us

and as I understand that you want to get content from en-us to es-us, so in this case, we will need to map en to en-us which means that when you send the content with source "en" it will arrive at your service as "en-us"

So please confirm with me if this is ok with you.

Best regards,
Ahmed Ibrahim.

November 18, 2020 at 4:21 pm #7476249

Bill Lafferty

Hi Ahmed,

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes we would like en to map to en-us.

But when this customer sent us a test file for translation into Chinese, the conversion from en to en-us happened automatically already. I'm not sure why it would work for Chinese but not Spanish.

This is what we see on our side in the Chinese order (screenshot).

If you think that mapping en to en-us will fix Spanish order, then please kindly proceed.

Kind regards,
Bill

November 18, 2020 at 5:00 pm #7476851

Ahmed Ibrahim
Supporter

Hi,

I've added the mapping for you, so please make sure that you added the correct pairs to the client project in your system, en-us -> es-us, then go to WPML Translation Management -> Translation service and click on "Refresh language pairs" then try again and if you got any errors, please take a screenshot and show it to me so I can understand what is going wrong.

Best regards,
Ahmed Ibrahim.

November 20, 2020 at 7:15 pm #7495041

Bill Lafferty

Hi Ahmed,

I refreshed but am getting the same problem. When sending en-us > es-es to the translation service, the job is canceled by the system. Could you take another look?

It's still not clear to me why a red x (delete) appears next to the Spanish locale?

Kind regards,
Bill

November 24, 2020 at 4:10 am #7513867

Ahmed Mamdouh
Supporter

Hi Bill,

This is Ahmed Mamdouh from the transition proxy team and I'm going to continue with you in this issue as Ahmed Ibrahim is off this week.

Could you please provide me with the Website URL and the admin panel credentials to investigate this issue?

I set your next reply as private to safely share your data.

Best regards,
Ahmed Mamdouh.

November 26, 2020 at 6:24 am #7531623

Ahmed Mamdouh
Supporter

Hi Bill,

Thanks for sharing your website Information, I've escalated the issue to the development team and I'll get back to you as soon as I got a reply from them.

Best regards,
Ahmed Mamdouh.

November 27, 2020 at 10:43 am #7542085

Ahmed Mamdouh
Supporter

Hi Bill,

I just informed by the development team that we are receiving an "Invalid language pair" error from your system as a response for a language pair (en to es-us) that is obviously enabled for this client's project, so could you please troubleshoot the problem at your end?

Best regards,
Ahmed Mamdouh.

November 30, 2020 at 1:54 pm #7560253

Bill Lafferty

Hi Ahmed,

Thanks very much for your reply. I informed the product team on our side to enable generic 'en.' Our system usually maps en to en-us without issue, but in this case it appears to be problematic.

On a side note, could you confirm the role of the various iso code settings? See the screenshot from the customer's language config page.

I assume that the 'code' in the red box governs --> 'en'.

What is the advantage of setting the default locale and href lang to 'en-US' instead of 'en'? I'm wondering if this is an oversight by the customer as I'd expect them to be consistent, but perhaps there are other things to consider.

Kind regards,
Bill

November 30, 2020 at 4:25 pm #7562191

Ahmed Mamdouh
Supporter

Hi,

The following are the definition and the role for all the terms shown in the screenshot you sent in the last reply:-

Code: a unique value that identifies the language. Once entered, the language code cannot be changed.

Translations: the way the language name will be displayed in different languages.

Flag: the flag to display next to the language (optional). You can either upload your own flag or use one of WPML's built-in flag images.

Default locale: This determines the locale value for this language. You should check the name of the WordPress localization file to set this correctly.
Encode URLs: yes/no, determines if URLs in this language are encoded or use ASCII characters (leave ‘no’ if you are not sure).

hreflang: the code Google expects for this language. The hreflang should contain at least the language code (usually, made of two letters), or, if you want to specify the country/region, it should be the same information as the locale name, but in a slightly different format. If the locale for Canadian French is fr_CA, the corresponding hreflang would be fr-ca. Instead of an underscore, use a dash (-) and all letters should be lowercase.

For further info please visit this link https://wpml.org/documentation/support/editing-wpmls-languages-table/ that describes more about the Languages table.

Best regards,
Ahmed Mamdouh.

November 30, 2020 at 6:00 pm #7563263

Bill Lafferty

Hi Ahmed,

Thanks for the additional info. I checked the customer's default site setting under Settings > General, and it appears set to 'en-us'. Meanwhile, as you saw, the default language in WPML is set to 'en'. Could this be the cause? (see screenshot)

Also, could your team kindly update the proxy settings with the Acclaro API GetLanguages call, so that we can do a fuzzy match of 'en' to 'en-us'?

Thank you.
Bill

December 1, 2020 at 1:36 pm #7571167

Ahmed Mamdouh
Supporter

Hi,

The General settings of WordPress are not related to the translation and it doesn't affect it, so I don't think this related to the issue.

To be honest, I don't understand what you mean by "fuzzy match" but if you mean to treat en as en-us, this is already being done via the Acclaro language mappings.
In other words, When WPML sends en, TP will send en-us to Acclaro.

Best regards,
Ahmed Mamdouh.

December 9, 2020 at 10:32 pm #7629797

Bill Lafferty

Hello,

I believe the developers at the customer in question has contacted you directly for further advice on this issues. Thanks very much for your help.

Thanks.
Bill