Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Fabio Fava 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Mohamed Sayed.

Author Posts
July 18, 2021 at 1:41 am #9223119

Fabio Fava

Hey Mohamed, thanks for getting back!

1 - Done it and it's all good, thanks!

2 - All good there, too, thanks!

3 - Will that remove all traces of WPML from the DB? Where will go the translated contents, post categories, woocommerce categories, etcetera? Will they be moved to the main language?

4 - The question is, I cannot remember what was that custom string, there are so many thousands of strings... That is for the NavBar Cart Icon (on the top-right on the site), but despite having items in the cart, it shows nothing... Any clue on that?

Thank you again for your amazing help Mohamed, I hope we can fix this last thing (4).

Can I delete the Staging site? It does consume server resources, so if it's not needed I'd like to remove it. In case it's needed later, it's pretty fast to recreate it from the Main site.

July 18, 2021 at 1:49 am #9223141

Mohamed Sayed
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Arabic (العربية )

Timezone: Africa/Cairo (GMT+02:00)

Hi Fabio,

Can you please tell me more details about where can I see this string on the front end? Also, was it showing up translated in the cart before switching the main language to Portuguese?

July 18, 2021 at 2:02 am #9223193

Fabio Fava

When I've launched this site I've hired a web designer to create the visual solutions to express what I had in mind. He did great, and the final result is really amazing. The issue:

The Cart icon on the TopBar, was supposed to show the cart contents when had something, but for some reason now it's just saying "No items", even when tere are items on it.

I'm not sure what I've done wrong. Basically I've changed the Main Language from Spanish to my custom Portuguese (is Pt-BR and the original was renamed as "Dummy" following another support ticked I've had). Everything is going pretty well, but the cart icon.

1) I actually would need later to make a "cleansweep" on the site. I can see many (really thousands) of unused, unnecessary strings. Lots of those are translations that got "lost in space" if you understand me. I would need o "clean" my DB and get rid of as much as possible of all unused strings and translations from the previous site in Spanish (and its previous translations). I've even found a "Gender" field that's still in Spanish, couldn't find in String Translation ("Sexo" and "Hombre" and "Mujer")...

2) Then I'll export this website and import to create another site. This one I'll have to convert to English and completely remove WPML and all strings and translations, since that website won't be a multi-language. As on 1), I'll need cleaning as much as possible the excess of DB that WPML leaves after being removed. I hope you can help me on that later (fell free to assign this second item to another ticket).

I'll keep looking forward from you on that all, Mohamed. Thank you so much for all of your help and support, I'm getting my website really perfect thanks to your personal effort on helping me to solve each and all of my issues. I'll never be able to thank you enough.

July 18, 2021 at 10:14 pm #9225655

Fabio Fava

Hey Mohamed,

I've been a couple hours today with my hosting (WPMU DEV) support debugging our mysterious custom string. What happens is that it loads very late and log, and fails aproximately 50% or more of the page loads. They got a screenshot that may help.

I'll keep looking forward from you, thank you very much.

SitePress-Failed.png
July 18, 2021 at 11:37 pm #9225889

Mohamed Sayed
Supporter

Hi Fabio,

1- The errors in the browser console shared by your hosting are not related to the cart issue, the source map file is not useful on the website but it is useful for website developers when using DevTools so it shouldn't cause any errors on the front end. Please check this reply for more details https://wpml.org/forums/topic/devtools-failed-to-load-sourcemap/#post-8466381

Also, please note that our developers have already found a fix for this issue and will be included in one of the upcoming releases.

2- As I can see the icon takes some time then it shows the items in your cart. Please check here hidden link

But I can't see any errors, also I don't think it's related to WPML. So please disable the plugin and check if the issue persists with WPML deactivated.

3- WPML can remove some string translations that are not linked properly. You can do that in WPML > Support > Troubleshooting, then click on the "Remove ghost entries from the translation tables" (Please create a backup first)

But to remove the unused translated strings, you will need to manually find them in WPML > String Translation and delete them.

You can select to display up to 100 strings on the table then use the checkbox on the head of the table to delete them all.

4- To check the "Gender" field translation, please share the access details in your next reply which I've marked as private so I can take a closer look.

Regards,
Mohamed

July 19, 2021 at 3:06 pm #9231123

Mohamed Sayed
Supporter

Hi Fabio,
Thanks for providing the access details.

1- For the strings, please go to WPML > Support > Troubleshooting > Clean up section, then click the "Cleanup and optimize string tables" button.

This option will clean up the untranslated strings and reduce the icl_strings table size in the DB, but as I mentioned before, the translated strings will have to be removed manually in WPML >String Translation

2- I couldn't find the "Gender" field string in the "String Translation" page or the "texts in admin screens" page. So please tell me where I can see it on the front end and which plugin is used to create it?

July 21, 2021 at 12:36 pm #9244989

Fabio Fava

Hello Mohamed, sorry for my delay on replying.

1 - I've done it but doesn't seem to delete any string or translated string
2 - This "gender" appears on the (WC) Checkout when I enable a setting on a plugin. I've enabled it so you can check, thanks!

Please note the login to WP-Admin has changed to voelivre.staging.tempurl.host/support

July 23, 2021 at 1:53 pm #9261015

Mohamed Sayed
Supporter

Hi Fabio,
Sorry for the delay.

1- I checked the String Translation table and can see that most of the strings are registered under 2 domains:

- Cornerstone 1577
- tg-text-domain 1564

So you can choose each domain of the above in WPML > String Translation, then display all the results and delete them manually as shown here: hidden link

2- For the "Gender" string, I can't get to the checkout page because it asks to make the payment first. So please follow the instructions here to scan the plugin that adds the field for hard-coded strings:

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/finding-strings-that-dont-appear-on-the-string-translation-page/#scanning-for-hard-coded-strings

And if it didn't help please try with the "Auto-register strings for translation" option in the String Translation Page. You need to enable it then reload the checkout page where the gender string appears. After that, reload the string translation page on the back end and disable the option then search for the string again.

July 26, 2021 at 12:21 am #9268171

Fabio Fava

I'd like to thank you very much Mohamed. I'll keep looking forward on the next updates to speed-up the cart fragments (menu on NavBar), but I've noted a difference at Cloudways, it's a way faster and better stack than the previous.