This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 1 week, 1 day ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
December 4, 2018 at 1:04 pm #2966540

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Hi, please assign this to Itamar.

This is a follow up for Itamar regarding this reply about the support for Global Divi modules
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/is-wpml-still-not-compatible-with-divi-global-modules/page/5/#post-2835208

Sorry for the late reply, I just checked back on my comment because I never receive your reply.

So I just tested the WPML support for global modules (with the classic translation editor), and although it does work, there are a few issues.

As you know, when you create a Divi global module, you can specify for each setting of that module if it should sync or not. The default is set to sync, which means that if you change the setting in one place, it changes in every instance. If you disable sync for a setting, it doesn't change every instance. Sync is mostly disabled for content fields (text, links, images) so it allows you to easily keep the design the same for each instance while the actual content is different.

Now, I have two test scenario's

** 1) a global text module that is 100% global, so every setting syncs **

You can translate this from within the library without a problem, so that's great.

The problem arises when you translate a page that holds the global module. The global module translated text is *not* preloaded as suggested in these instructions https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/divi-builder/#attachment_2588082 so I have to translate it all over again otherwise the translated page won't be created.

Plus I think that the fields for global module translated text should not be available to translate on the actual page at all. If that's available there the translation can be changed (even though it isn't used on the front end) and it will be sent to translation services who will translate and charge for every instance.

** 2) a global text module where sync is disabled for the content **

If you translate this in the library, translation management loads all shortcode fields
- See attached image
- Note that the content was set to not sync, so Divi strips it from the content Library item and that attribute doesn't exist in the shortcode. It means there is nothing to translate, so WPML doesn't need to show that field at all.
- If I manually add content to that field from within the library and then translate, it only shows me the content field to be translated and not all the other shortcode attributes.

If I now translate the actual page, it correctly allows me to translate the content.

Thanks
JP

December 4, 2018 at 2:13 pm #2966842

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi, JP.

Thanks again for replicating this issue. I've now escalated it to our second tier supporters and they will check the issue. We'll keep you updated for any news.

Thanks,
Itamar.

December 5, 2018 at 9:06 am #2969261

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, JP.

This issue is now escalated further to our developers.
We'll keep you updated here.

Thank you for your patience.

February 20, 2019 at 11:27 am #3221289

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Hi,

This issue is related to https://wpml.org/forums/topic/divi-global-modules-not-fully-supported

The issue in the other ticket has been fixed. But at the same time, that fixes causes a more urgent fix for the issue in this ticket, because it's impossible now to translate content from global divi modules that are partially synced.

As explained before, the Divi global modules are different from those of other page builders. For Divi global modules, you can specify for each setting if it should be synced (global) or not. They call it selective sync.

See the attached screen shots from the same global module. The first tab is the content tab where I have disabled syncing (red circle arrows). The second tab is the design tab where the syncing is enabled (green circle arrow).

Why using this selective sync feature? Because it allows you to have a module with the same design across the entire website while you can still change the actual content for each instance.

With the current fix, I can only translate global modules from within the library. That's correct for settings that are being synced. It's not correct for settings/content that is not being synced, because that translation isn't synced to the actual pages where the module is used.

If a setting/content is not being synced, it should be available for translation on the actual pages where that global module is being used. And it isn't.

Now global module translation is worse then it was before.

I have explained all this several times before. Both in this ticket and in a video chat with one of your colleagues. Is this so hard to understand?

Looking forward for your reply.
And for a proper fix.

Thanks
JP

February 21, 2019 at 11:15 am #3226945

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, JP.

I've sent your reply to our developers and I'll keep you updated here.

Regards,
Itamar.

March 12, 2019 at 6:11 am #3318649

carmanL

Hello,

I think I am having the same problem and I didn't know that it was due to selective sync and opened a new discussion here:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/translated-but-still-showing-the-original-language/page/2/#post-3318599

Is this problem solved?

Thanks.

March 20, 2019 at 7:24 pm #3392835

John-Pierre Cornelissen

What's the status of this?

I had to update a site and it's translations. Forgot all about this so now I lost all translations that were translated on the page in global modules with selective sync. Because these translations were not in the library.

WPML is driving me insane!

I created this other ticket as a general complaint about all these issue.
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/continues-issues-with-wpml/

March 21, 2019 at 2:55 pm #3408579

John-Pierre Cornelissen

I just noticed for this page
hidden link

At the bottom there is a full width header.
In the translation editor, it does have fields to translate the title and the button text.
- et_pb_fullwidth_header: subhead
- et_pb_fullwidth_header: button_one_text

But the field to translate the content isn't there. It show the text that's in the global module but it shouldn't because it uses selective sync (see screenshot, the circle arrows are red meaning that it doesn't sync to all pages and should be translated on the page, not in the library).
The thing is, the title, button and content all have the same setting. But on the page I can only translate the title and button, not the content.

August 22, 2019 at 3:32 pm #4440817

michaelF-60

I would also like to know the status of this ticket, since I have the same problem: Global Divi modules that have text input fields with selective sync disabled do not show up in the WPML translation editor – the only exception being titles (f.e. in blurb modules). The body in contrast doesn't show up.

August 22, 2019 at 8:21 pm #4442783

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

I'm sorry, but there is no news about this issue. When our developers will handle it and fix it I'll let you know here.

Best Regards,
Itamar.

August 23, 2019 at 7:56 am #4444903

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Hi Itamar, a little disapointed, but at the same time, the pressure is off. The latest version of Divi introduces a way to store global design defaults that are separated from the content. Before the update I had to do that with selective sync. So with this new version I think I don't need to use selective sync anymore. So for me it's only a problem on existing websites. I can't speak for other Divi users of course.

Thanks
JP

August 24, 2019 at 3:20 pm #4452021

Itamar
Supporter

Thank you, JP for this input and update.

September 12, 2019 at 7:28 am #4558841

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Hi, so I recently added a new language to an existing website that has a lot of global modules with selective sync. That was a true nightmare! In order to get the translations for these modules I had to disable global on every module. That's a page edit that also caused WPML to change the status for existing translations, and when I went in those translations, all existing translations were gone from the translation editor, so I had to copy and paste them in from the front end again. It took hours to get that fixed again.

So in which version will this issue be fixed? I saw that the 4.2.8 version has a lot of new features for Elementor and wonder why these new things got priority over this bug fix in Divi.

JP

September 12, 2019 at 11:27 am #4560515

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, JP.

I'm sorry, but currently, I have no ETA for when this feature will be included. The issue is still in the 'To do' list of our developers.

I'll keep you updated here when I have news about it.

Regards,
Itamar.