This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

Explain the media options in WPML -> Settings -> Media Translation Especially the 'Duplicate media attachments for translations' option.

Solution:

This request was sent to our documentation team, and if needed they will revise it and add the explanations to our documentation.

Relevant Documentation:

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/

For the custom fields options, please see this documentation.

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-custom-fields/

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
October 8, 2018 at 10:27 am #2795527

debraP

Based on my 6–8 months experience with WPML, there needs to be additional in-dashboard explanation on what's actually happening. Phrases like "Duplicate media attachments for translations" could be taken multiple ways. Will checking that actually create duplicate media files (like how duplication works for posts), or will it allow a piece of media to be found by other languages? Those types of settings should have infoboxes with further helpful information. Those types of phrases should also appear on your site's documentation pages.

October 8, 2018 at 10:45 am #2795655

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

In our forum, we try to keep one issue per ticket.
Continuing with one ticket per issue helps not only supporters to focus on one issue at once, but also enables other users to find solutions to their questions faster. Therefore, I've split the other ticket and created a new ticket with this issue.

You aks the following: "Will checking that actually create duplicate media files (like how duplication works for posts), or will it allow a piece of media to be found by other languages?".
Checking this will not create duplicate media files. It will make a media item shown in other languages.

But I also get your point here, and I think that might be a room for improvement in phrasing and maybe an infobox about it. I'm bringing this issue to the awareness of our second tiers and ask their opinion about it. I'll keep you updated here.

BTW, do you see other places where more info on the option is required?

Regards,
Itamar.

October 8, 2018 at 2:44 pm #2796465

debraP

Thanks for splitting this thread. Here are a couple of additional items that could use clarification:

On posts/pages:
This phrasing is very confusing to me: "Duplicate uploaded media to translations". Even after our discussion I think this could either mean I'm "allowing uploaded media to be accessible by translations" or "uploaded media should be copied to the translated versions."

In the multilingual content setup metabox:
Having an info box to define the difference between the three translation options might be helpful.

In the multilingual content setup metabox:
The custom fields section has four options, don't translate, copy, copy once, and translate. The difference between copy and copy once could be clarified.

October 9, 2018 at 10:12 am #2799408

Itamar
Supporter

Hi and thanks for the extra details.

Our second tier supporter advised me to report these incoherences to our documentation team.
I'll do so and keep you updated here.

Thanks,
Itamar.

October 10, 2018 at 10:43 am #2803872

Itamar
Supporter

Hi there.

I've passed this request to our documentation team.
I'll inform you here once I'll have news about this issue.
For the custom fields translation options, we have detailed explanation in our documentation here https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-custom-fields/.

I'm closing this ticket for now.
Thanks a lot for your remarks on these subjects.

Best Regards,
Itamar.