This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The user was not able to properly translate a popup created with Popup Maker and get the same styling Solution: The styling for popup is stored as a custom field and should be configured to be copied or translated for other languages. Manual translation remains a viable workaroud. But some styling get overriden when we update the popup in the primary language. For that, we should use the "minor edit" feature so WPML won't copy the styling and override those edited manually.

This topic contains 21 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Jamal 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
July 6, 2019 at 10:30 pm #4156455

rohanK

Hello Andreas,

Thank you so much for your help, the titles reappear in the pop ups in all languages!

However, the design is still not the same, I mean that the french pop up are wider than the english version as well as the cross to close the pop up that it smaller and we cannot close the pop by clicking outside it (as I manually changed the settings on the english version - cf screenshot enclosed - but there are not followed on the french version). Is there a way for the french version copy the settings of the english version itself, or should I set up those settings in the french pop up too?

Also for a reason I cannot explain (I verified the settings on the pages of the buttons and they have the correct CSS code), the french "Management" & "HR / LEGAL / PAYROLL" & "Life Sciences" are not shown even if there are translated in French, it is impossible to open it when we click on the buttons of the page to make it appears on laptop, tablets and mobile. Do you know what I am doing wrong there? :/

Also do you know when the CMS Multilingual 4.2.8. update will be out?

You mention that you could see the debug.log with various errors previously. But I cannot open it in my side, not sure if does that mean that error has been solved? Can you?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Thanks a lot for your help,

Kind regards

July 8, 2019 at 9:03 am #4160425

rohanK

Hello Andreas,

thanks for creating the ticket. For your info, I tried to adapt the design (size pop up as well as design and workflow of "close" button) by updating directly in the CMS, the french pop up "Engineering", I mean via the CMS and not via WPML. So I could update the design but now the pop is not working in french anymore. So I would say there is an issue to keep the design settings of the pop up when it is translated, and when we update a translated pop up directly via the CMS, then the pop up does not work anymore.

Kind regards

July 8, 2019 at 6:47 pm #4165133

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

It seems the issue here is that as example the English Pop up for Sales/Marketing is assigned to popup size Small, while the French popup Commercial/Marketing is assigned to Medium.

I then tested on the sandbox site and changed the size of the default popup to Mediaum and translated it using the WPML Classic Translation Editor.
I realized that the layout here slightly changes, as the titles inlcude a break point and make the translated popup appear less wide.

Anyhow, the issue can be solved with the correct setting of the Multilingual Content Setup.

I would adivse you to verify the settings of your pop ups regarding the correct size settings and let me know if there are some further issues. There are many entries inside of the Multilingual Content Setup but as far the custom fields should be applied to the correct settings. Make sure to translate again and let me know if it worked out as expected.

In doubt please take a look at the sandbox. The current settings here make sure that the popups are translated correctly.

One Click Login: hidden link

Kind regards
Andreas

July 9, 2019 at 8:29 am #4168547

rohanK

Hello Andreas,

The german pop up does not work on sandbox, they don't show at all when I try to check a preview so not sure it works. Can you see them?

If you choose the size "medium", it is the default size, so the german pop up looks good then as anyways they will be shown in medium size by default but as soon as you don't use the medium size, the problem is back as the design settings are not copy. As explained previously, I tried to edit the size of the pop up directly on the french version but now the pop up don't work at all ("Management" & "HR / LEGAL / PAYROLL" & "Life Sciences").

Then I am not sure what i have to do, do I have to copy the settings of sandbox in approachpeoplerecruitment.com? If yes, note that i do not have exactly the same fields available in the Multilingual Content Setup and I cannot read them on sandbox as they are cropped so I cannot copy the settings (cf image enclosed). Will the size "small" pop up will be copy thus? and the settings to close the pop up?

Could you tell me exactly which field I have to change (as it would be the same on all the pop up) or make them readable on sandbox? When do you say "make sure the pop up are translated correctly", I have to use the Use "WPML's Translation Editor"?

Thanks for your advise,

Kind regards

July 9, 2019 at 3:42 pm #4172713

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

It seems to me you used the wrong popup on my test site.

Please verify here: hidden link

The pop-up appears correctly after changing their size with the currently used multilingual language config.

I also realized that the translated popup on your test site did not show up. First of all for some reason the wrong CSS extra class was applied to the pop-up for Commercial Marketing and the popup appears twice on the page editor. It seems to me that the conflict is lying here. Why do you include the section twice on the page editor?

I am not sure why is that as the Digital / IT popups did show up and others not. I would advise you to adjust the sections of the site. The fact that the pop-ups do appear twice might be the reason why the translation of their extra classes does fail.

Could you further please provide me access to your server for further investigation? I would like to run the wp-debug feature.

I have enabled the private message.

Kind regards
Andreas

July 10, 2019 at 4:56 pm #4182917

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your message but while I was testing everything worked proper.

I am really not sure what is causing the issue, but on my tests there is not any issue with creating popups, and translating them. Even the popup settings are copied from default to translation after applying changes an re-translating the popup.

On the test-site I have now again create a new page and a new popup. The page and the popup have been translated without issues. Afterwards popup size settings have been changed, and the popup retranslated. It works as expected.

I can confirm that my prior tests were not working as expected but I realized differencies on the multilingual content setup between mz new createt poups and the olde rones. Further, I saw that the translated popup from my prior test had the wrong extra CSS class. Here was pasted the css class of the default language popup.

It seesm to be that this class was overwritten, when translating the popup title. This field actually refers to the extra CSS class.

On the test with zour popups the Classic Translation Editor is trying to translate the vc_btn: title.

On my test with new popus this was not necessary. Verify the multilingual content setup of the popups:

- post_title
- popup_title
- content
- post_content

Set those fields to "not translate".

It seems to me that those fields have been edited by mistake. They were set to "copy". It would not make sense to "copy" those fields as this would overwrite the translation with the original title or conent.

Also avoid to set these fields to "translate". The popups are already translated. Simply leave the above mentioned fields to "Not translate".

After appplying those settings and placing the correct CSS extra class to the translated popup it was working as expected on my test site.

Trz to appllz the same setting to your live site. Verifz if the translated popups have the correct extra class. Each language content should have their own css class.

I also saw for example that the same section appeared twice on the page editor, which might cause issues between the extra CSS case used to trigger the popups and further, I realized that the wrong extra CSS classes were utilized for the translated content.

Please have a look at the test site again. Do not take any changes here, but try to apply same procedure and settings to your live site. If it still will not work out I would like to create a new page (draft) on your live site including some new popups, in order to test the plugin again? Would this be convenient for you?

At last, it seems to me that there is anzhow some kind of issue. If you go to Popups and open anyone and check the Multilingual Content Setup. It seesm that here are appearing more and more entries anztime the popup is used? Did you realize something similar?

I am refering to the entries starting with "icl_mcs_..." . Did you realize any increasement of those fields?

Kind regards
Andreas

July 11, 2019 at 11:01 am #4188911

rohanK

Hello Andreas,

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I did try on my website for the Pop Digital / IT and it did not work. Note that when you edit a page in its translation, you need to go on the page translated in the CMS and do not use "WPML's Translation Editor" on the english version because we had to adapt the margin and padding to make the design look good on the french translation so every time you use it, it delete the french content that we added via the page and not via WPML's Translation Editor. Thanks.

Concerning the pop up, first of all a few of the 4 fields you talked about were already on "not translated" on the English pop up Digtal / IT but I did edited the ones needed and then I translated the pop up in french (using the WPML's Translation Editor) and save the changes.
Secondly I verified the CSS code set up to the button "More info" for the Digital / IT boxes, it is the right one already, on english page as well as the french page for Clients/Switzerland (as it is the same), I still save again the Clients/Switzerland in french in case. But it did not work, the pop up Digital / IT is still not showing up on the french page.

Regarding "icl_mcs_..." I did not realize it before but indeed there is a lot of those entries. Don't know what it is :/

Please feel free to create a new page on the site and implement a few pop ups on it. Looking forward to hearing from you,

Kind regards

July 11, 2019 at 11:19 pm #4193483

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I have to apologise for the delay and somehow confusion on this issue, but the huge amount of custom fields also caused a confusion to myself.

I recognized the issue about the popups not working anymore after translating the page again with the Classic Translation Editor. The Extra CSS Class of the Button Widget does get overwritten with the class of the original language popup.

After testing again on the sandbox I exprienced here the same issue again. The extra css class even if all custom fields are set to "Not translate" gets overwritten when translating the WPBakery Button with the WPML Translation again. It can only be solved by editing the Extra CSS Class manually by changing the page language and editing the button.

Anyhow on my test the button do show up but in order to work each button needs an individual class in each language. Also avoid using the same button clases various times on the same site. I can see on your page that you used the same button twice. Try to avoid this. Also do not use the same Extra CSS Class for different popups in different languages as this will not work.

For the popup setting for example changing the size of the popup proceed as followed:

1) Set Custom Field for popup_settings to copy
2) Make change on default language popup and update
3) Translate Popup with the Classic Translation Editor
4) Verify on backend that the settin changes have been copied to the translated popup.

I am not sure why you mentioned that you had to apply custom CSS. If you follow the steps above the changes will be copied and both popups will appear identical.

Anyhow, there still stays the issue with the the extra class that is getting overwritten. I was trying for a couple hours now to find the perfect settings but without success.
For now I can only advise you to edit the class for translated pages manually.

I am escalating the issue now to our compatilbity team and I will be in contact as soon I receive feedback or a workaround as I am a somehow stuck myself on this right now.

Kind regards
Andreas

July 12, 2019 at 10:44 pm #4201763

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

We been able to achieve a custom XML config which mad eit possible to translate the popups properly with the WPML TranslatioN Editor.

I have added the code at WPML -> Settings -> Custom XML Config on your live site.

Now, when translating a page you will find one fields related to the popup CSS Extra Class which will need to get translated repectively. Please take note again that you will need to use a exclusive class for popup on each language.

Example:

makepop-test ----> English
makepop-test-de ----> German

Also avoid using the same classes various times on the same page.

I hope this will solve the issue.

Kind regards
Andreas

July 17, 2019 at 11:11 am #4229271

rohanK

Hello Andreas,

Sorry for the late answer, take me time before being able to try.

I tried your first technique on the IT / Digital pop up. But I am not able to set up the field popup_settings to copy. Even if I do select copy, when I saved the english pop up, the settings saved are to "translate."
I still tried to update the french pop up, with the Wpml translator but I did not have field related to the Extra Class Name (find attached the new fields that appear instead), I did save the pop up. Anyhow it still did not work when I tried to open it here: hidden link

Then I try to update the french pop up via the classic editor, I edited the Extra Class Name by adding "-fr" to "popmake-digital-it-fr". Then I check the code of this page: hidden link, the english extra class was adding (I tried to check if it was working like this, but no, the IT Digital pop up was not working). Then I added the right Extra Class Name to the IT / Digital box (with "-fr"), saved the page and checked again: still not working.

I am really confused, could you please check again on my website? Feel free to make the test with the IT / Digital pop up and check if it works on this page that have english and french versions: hidden link and here hidden link

I don't know what is wrong or what I am doing wrong but if you could make one work on my website I could copy your settings and process to make the others work too.

Thanks for your amazing support

July 17, 2019 at 11:18 pm #4233925

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I am sorry for the misunderstanding. The popup settings custom field will need to be set to translate and now when translating a page the WPML Translation Editor will ask you to translate the extra css class. (See screenshot)

I have adjusted the settings, please do not make any further changes here.

As you can see it worked proper with my WPML Test Popup. I updated the WPML Test page and translated it again without issues.

As I explained already earlier it seems to me that there is a layout issue with the created page:
hidden link

Please check the page on the WPBakery backend builder:

The section including the images and buttons in order to show the popups is exisiting twice! Could you please try to adjust this? It might be that the issue is that the buttons are twice entered on the page builder and this way also the popup builder shortcodes exist actually twice on this page.

I hope you understood my explaination. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards
Andreas

July 18, 2019 at 4:09 am #4234923

rohanK

Hello Andreas,

Dammit, I did no see your message and see that the text change on the swiss page and remade the change :/ I am so so sorry, could you only made the change on the France page: hidden link then I have understood and will copy the settings for other pages. Again I am very sorry about that but it is a lot a changes on my side for the swiss page.

Concerning the blog posts do you have an update?

Thanks a million for your help and support,

Wish you a very good day

July 18, 2019 at 10:05 pm #4242473

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I verified the settings of your page and everzhting is looking well.

Ther eis actully only the custom fields "popup-settings" that needs to be set to "translate" in order to apply popup design changes and the custom XML configuration that we added inside the WPML Options will make sure that you can translate the Popup Extar CSS Classes when using the WPML TranslatioN Editor.

I also tested again to translate the created WPML test page and there is not any issue.

In case your pages still have issues with the popups showing up, please read again my prior message.

The Page content shows the same section for poppup buttons twice. I think the issue must be here. You should edit your page design and avoid to call the same Popup Maker extra css class in various page builder elements at the same time.

I hope this will solve the issue but from WPML Site everything should be fine now.

Kind regards
Andreas

July 19, 2019 at 11:25 am #4246051

rohanK

Hello Andreas,

I think something is wrong because I try to add the IT / Digital pop up (that as the same settings as your test) to your test page and it did not show up at all even in english. And once again, the pop up worked in english on the pages I have set them up even if there are several time the Extra Class in the page.

I think that the easiest way is that I delete the pop ups created previously and recreate them. I will make a test in the afternoon and let you know it works like that.

Thanks again for your incredible help and support Andreas,

Kind regards

Sophie

July 19, 2019 at 3:14 pm #4247101

rohanK

Hello Andreas,

I found out what is the issue with Pop Up Maker and WPML! 😀

First of all note that the code you added at WPML -> Settings -> Custom XML Config on your live site seems not working for the pop up I have created previously, so the field related to the popup CSS Extra Class is not shown in the WPML translation editor.

Secondly, it does not matter that french and english pop up have the same name, like it does not matter to have several time the pop up trigger on a page.

The issue is that WPML does not copy the targeting (in the pop up settings --> Targeting --> Pages selected). It seems that the Pop Up targeting is not able to get the pages in another languages. I mean that for the english pop ups, I cannot select the french Employers / France and french Employers / Switzerland. So when we translate the pop up in French, the popup does not understand that it has to be shown on the french translation of the employers pages.
To solve the issue I have to go in the French Pop Up and edit manually the targeting.

The only problem is that if I update an english pop up, I have to go in all the translated pop ups to add again the right targeting. Do you think you could be able to fix that targeting issue as you did with the design?

If not I just have to keep in mind this little problem when I update a pop up.

Looking forward to hearing from you but the problem is mainly solved 🙂

Thanks again for your amazing support and help Andreas,

Kind regards,

Sophie