This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
September 22, 2018 at 7:20 pm #2757916

linaA-2

Hi,

After following the steps you mentioned it fixed the CSS issue on the Russian page and the Brazilian page is showing exactly as English page too.

Now there are a couple more issues issues left:

1. The menus on Russian and Brazilian pages link to the English version of pages (there is no language prefix on the links). Do the menus need to be synchronized using the WPML plugin so that they link to the corresponding pages and include the language prefix on the URL?
2. On Brazilian footer, the links of 'Economy' and 'Forex' categories link to the English pages instead of the categories pages in Brazilian. In Russian however the links are correct, how to fix this?

Thank you

September 22, 2018 at 8:01 pm #2757931

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

Syncing the menus would be helpful if in case that the other languages menus are already created, but in your site, it is not the case because you have not translated the menus.
Nevertheless, I see that some menu items in Russian and Portuguese do link to the corresponding translation. Please see the attached screenshot item-ru-ok.jpg.

With your site on my local server, I do not get this issue. All the menu items in the Russian and Portuguese link to the correct language. For example, the link to the 'Bitcoin' page that does not work on your live site, does work on my local server. Please see the attached screenshot link-to-ru.jpg

Since the cache of your site is disabled on my local server, I suspect that it might be a cache issue. Can you please clear all the cache from your site and see if the issue persist?

Thanks,
Itamar.

September 26, 2018 at 7:55 pm #2768555

linaA-2

Hi,

We cleared all cache but some of the links still not show the language prefix.

Also, when NEWS is clicked on Russian and Brazilian it links to hidden link and hidden link instead of the homepage for each language.

How about the issue on Brazilian footer, the links of 'Economy' and 'Forex' categories link to the English pages instead of the categories pages in Brazilian. Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you

September 27, 2018 at 8:50 am #2769830

Itamar
Supporter

Hi and thanks for trying my suggestions.

I've continued to check things on your site's copy on my local server. In my last reply I told you the following: "Syncing the menus would be helpful if in case that the other languages menus are already created, but in your site, it is not the case because you have not translated the menus." But after checking this, I've found out that syncing the menus helps to solve the menu issues. I've tried it with your site's on my local server. But before that, there is one thing that needs to be done with the homepage menu item (News). This item keeps not working properly even after the menu sync. I think that this is happening because of changes that had been made in the front page settings or the homepage slug. In any case, it would be better to remove the currently top menu item (News (page)) and add instead of it a new item of the 'Home' page which will be a custom link. Here is what you need to do.

1. Take a backup of your site in case something goes wrong.
2. Go to Appearance -> Menus.
3. Remove the currently 'New' item at the top.
4. Add a Custom Link item with the link to the homepage (hidden link) and label it 'News'.
5. Add under it all the sub-pages (Forex, Economy, Stocks, etc.)
6. Save the menu/.
7. Go to WPML -> WP Menus Sync and proceed with the sync process.
8. When it is done, you will receive a notice at the bottom that there are a few custom items that need to be translated in the Strings Translation section. Please see the attached screenshot. One of those items will be the new 'News' item. But there are others I think.
9. Go to the Strings Translation section (you can press the link in the WP Menu Sync screen).
10. Translate the custom links. Mainly the homepage (News) link.
11. Go to WP Menus Sync and sync the menus once again.
Now everything should work. This should also fix the footer items for 'Economy' and 'Forex'. It fixed it on my local server with your site's copy.

Please let me know if it is working for you.

Regards,
Itamar.

October 1, 2018 at 4:19 am #2777112

linaA-2

Hi,

We have followed the steps 1-7 but it shows the second menu item same as the pagename for it (ECONOMIC CALENDAR RU & ECONOMIC CALENDAR BR).

Also, on main menu under Education there should be 2 submenu items (Module 1 & Module 2) but they are missing for Russian and Brazilian pages.

How to fix these? Please advise, thank you

October 1, 2018 at 7:16 pm #2779251
linaA-2

There is also another issue on the bottom of russian and brazilian pages.
The footer menu is not centered as in english page.
Please see attached screenshots, thank you.

New threads created by Itamar and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-the-footer-is-not-centered/

October 1, 2018 at 7:28 pm #2779338

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello @linaa-2,

Since Itamar currently has a few days off, I will replace him here in the forum. I hope this is OK for you.

Could you please send the credentials to your website on this ticket? For security reasons, we need a new access authorization on each new ticket. I enabled the private field for this.

Kind regards,
Diego

October 3, 2018 at 9:11 am #2783989

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, I'm handling this ticket again.

For the Economic Calendar label issue, please go to the Russian and Portuguese menus and translate the label for this menu item directly in the menu. Please see the attached screenshot.

For the Module 1 & Module 2 issue, it is still not clear to me why the items are missing in the Russain and Portuguese menus. There seem to be extra options for each menu item in your menus. Could please explain to me what makes those options available and how I can disable them? I want to check if it is related to this issue. As a workaround, you can insert custom link menu items to the Module 1 & Module 2 in Russian and Portuguese.

Thanks,
Itamar.

October 3, 2018 at 10:21 pm #2785860

linaA-2

Hi,

After following your suggestions, the main menu is fixed now.

There are a couple of things left:

1. On Brazilian footer, the links of 'Economy' and 'Forex' categories link to the English pages instead of the categories pages in Brazilian. In Russian however the links are correct, how to fix this?

2. When navigating to Economic Calendar for Russian and Brazilian languages, we notice that the page name (and not the translated name) is shown on the breadcrumb menu and on top of the content (please see attached screenshots). Can we fix this by editing each page (for each language) from pages section in wordpress admin?
For example, when we go to translate the page in Brazilian we are getting this warning:

'You are trying to edit a translation that is currently in the process of being added using WPML.

Please refer to the Translation Management dashboard for the exact status of this translation. '

3. On the bottom of russian and brazilian pages, the footer menu is not centered as in english page. It seems the CSS is not loaded correctly, how can we fix it?

4. We would like to start translating posts now to test that everything is ok. What is the best way to do that? Now the post urls are correct, so that means the translated posts were created automatically by the WPML plugin?

Thank you

October 4, 2018 at 6:42 pm #2788584

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

1. As I've mentioned here above this might be a caching issue. It is not happening on your site's copy on my local server. When I go to Appearance -> Widgets and check the Footer - Column 2 -> Listing - Thun=mbnail 1, I expect to see 'Economy' chosen (nothing is chosen). But it is not chosen. So how is it showing anyway? If I try to choose it and save the widget the settings are not being saved and 'Economy' is not checked. Please see the attached screenshot economy_no.jpg. All this leads me to think that it is a caching issue. Again, I do not get this problem with your site on my local server where the cache is not active.

2. No need to change it in the WordPress editor. Simply change it in the Translation Editor, and it will change in the breadcrumbs. Please see the attached screenshot change-in-te.jpg. Do it when the cache is not active.

3. These are CSS conflicts that are coming from your theme and other CSS directives in custom CSS files. It is very hard for me to debug this and you probably know better than I do the CSS styles that you have implemented. Here is the workaround that I could find for this. Add this to Appearance -> Customize -> Additional CSS.

ul#footer-navigation {
    padding-left: 25%;
}

4. Go to All Posts and press the plus (+) icon and start translating. Please see the attached screenshot start-trans.jpg.

You also ask: "Now the post urls are correct, so that means the translated posts were created automatically by the WPML plugin?"
Yes, the posts are just displayed as translated (they are not actual posts) and the URL is generated by WPML.

Regards,
Itamar.

October 5, 2018 at 2:27 am #2789310

linaA-2

Hi,

Thank you for the recommendations.

For issue 1, we have used the WPML -> String Translation to solve it. This means all the strings that need translations have to be translated from there, right?

The only difficulty is that we have to browse through many strings results to locate what we need. Is there an easier way to find in the results the string we are looking for?

October 7, 2018 at 10:59 am #2793770

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

You can use the search option in the Strings Translation screen. Please see the attached screenshot.

Please let me know if this information is helpful to you.

Regards,
Itamar.

October 9, 2018 at 2:25 am #2797851
linaA-2

OK, we will use the search option thanks.

We have noticed that when adding translation to older posts, the translated post date is different (more recent) than that of the original post in English.
How can we keep the original date unchanged of the translated post?
Also, we would like to do the same for the 'Last Updated' date which is shown on top of each post if possible.

Thanks

New threads created by Itamar and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-how-to-copy-the-publishing-date-of-a-post-to-the-translated-post/

October 9, 2018 at 4:48 pm #2801199

Itamar
Supporter

Ok, please let me know if you need more help with it.

For the other issue, I've split the ticket.

Thanks,
Itamar.

The topic ‘[Closed] Split: The menus on Russian and Brazilian pages link to English’ is closed to new replies.