This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
April 19, 2019 at 7:12 am #3643795

Mr. Ghost

How come that even if I delete following plugins WPML database rows and tables are still in the database?

String Translation
Translation Management

icl_string_translations

How do I make sure to delete all trace of those two plugins? But only keep the core multilingual plugin?

April 19, 2019 at 7:42 am #3643895

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

How come that even if I delete following plugins WPML database rows and tables are still in the database?

From my experience (I worked with 100s of plugins of all sorts, from the most simple to most advanced), most of them leave traces in database, even when deleted. Very few actually delete ALL the data (not only their custom tables, but also various entries within wp_options or elsewhere in core WordPress tables) - and even if they do, they mostly offer this as an option during deletion.

String Translation is no different, especially as it can contain many translated strings that may have yielded hundreds of hours of work (that can include paid translation work as well), including content translated via various page builders (that depend on String Translation plugin and save translation packages), etc.

So wiping all of these on plugin removal would be, in my view, very unwise and unwanted action, only very few would benefit from and in special circumstances.

However, you are always welcome to delete as you wish and can try with simple command such as:

DROP TABLE table_name;

hidden link

Or do it directly through phpMyAdmin.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 22, 2019 at 7:40 pm #3658061

Mr. Ghost

From my experience (I worked with 100s of plugins of all sorts, from the most simple to most advanced), most of them leave traces in database, even when deleted. Very few actually delete ALL the data (not only their custom tables, but also various entries within wp_options or elsewhere in core WordPress tables) - and even if they do, they mostly offer this as an option during deletion.

Yes most plugins that understand performance offers this. I usually clean tables, rows and wp_options from auto load trash from plugins that is orphan. Yes developers leaves it if you ever install the plugin again settings and data would be saved. But it surely should be an options to clean out everything. Or at least a knowledge-base which rows and tables etc to safety delete or clean.

String Translation is no different, especially as it can contain many translated strings that may have yielded hundreds of hours of work (that can include paid translation work as well), including content translated via various page builders (that depend on String Translation plugin and save translation packages), etc.

So wiping all of these on plugin removal would be, in my view, very unwise and unwanted action, only very few would benefit from and in special circumstances.

However, you are always welcome to delete as you wish and can try with simple command such as:

Hmm if you had the webmaster to choose this themselves I would be grateful.

Yes I know how SQL and the database work, but thanks. But I need to know which rows in WPML is safe to delete ot not cause issues. Thats mainly what I ask. Like:

Whats the table name for string translations?
Can I delete the whole table if I dont use it?
Can I delete all rows in it etc?
without causing any issues.

April 23, 2019 at 8:43 am #3660833

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Whats the table name for string translations?

wp_icl_string_translations (will depend on the table prefix).

Can I delete the whole table if I dont use it?

Yes, but if you are translating some page content using any of the page builder - whose translation depend on String Translation and therefore its tables, you will also delete translations.

In this case, the best combination is this:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/wpml-drastically-slow-down-my-site-2/page/2/#post-3541827

Coupled with cleaning both wp_icl_strings and wp_icl_string_translations as per something like:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/extra-slow-site-after-installing-wpml/#post-3564839

We also have documentation about this here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-tables/#string-translation

Can I delete all rows in it etc? without causing any issues.

Yes and no - see my remark related to page builders above. Also, some other data (such as widget translation, theme options translations or customizer options translations, widgets...) would also store translations using ST.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 23, 2019 at 4:39 pm #3666271

Mr. Ghost

wp_icl_string_translations (will depend on the table prefix).

Ok confirmed, thanks!

Yes, but if you are translating some page content using any of the page builder - whose translation depend on String Translation and therefore its tables, you will also delete translations.

Ok no we do not translate anything like that at this stage since it's not needed. Everything can and are connected to ACF and translation is added into meta fields and displays frontend. So I can delete the whole table correct?

Coupled with cleaning both wp_icl_strings and wp_icl_string_translations as per something like:

Ok what is the difference between the two tables?

But in general even if i disable auto register it adds new all the time so I dont believe the function is working as it should. No matter if I add new plugin or pages or what ever. If I disabled the feature it should not register. And when I disable I still need to go in and delete them manually?

Yes and no - see my remark related to page builders above. Also, some other data (such as widget translation, theme options translations or customizer options translations, widgets...) would also store translations using ST.

Ok but this is backend data and that will for us never be translated, we speak english no matter frontend content. It's international and we are an international company meaning not relevant for us but thanks might be relevant for other local businesses or needs. But just create bloat in database so would never accept in our portfolio to translate backend cms strings.

Thanks!

April 24, 2019 at 10:46 am #3671723

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Ok what is the difference between the two tables?

One holds these strings, while other holds translation of these strings. You can delete these tables if you don't think you'll have any use of them now or the future and remove String Translation plugin as well.

But in general even if i disable auto register it adds new all the time so I dont believe the function is working as it should.

If it is not working as it should, then we should escalate and brings this to our developers (before we test the scenario on a clean sandbox installation).

Regards,
Bruno Kos

May 1, 2019 at 7:33 am #3716671

Mr. Ghost

Ok thanks.

Yes, it was never working as it was intended, kept of auto-register even if I disabled.

May 2, 2019 at 9:17 am #3723163

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Yes, it was never working as it was intended, kept of auto-register even if I disabled.

I can set up a sandbox site for you where you can test this, so that we can confirm and I could escalate it for further checks if this is really a case. Let me know and I will set it up for you, while also providing information on how can I test myself (is this related to a specific plugin, theme, page builder or something else).

Regards,
Bruno Kos

The topic ‘[Closed] String Translation Questions’ is closed to new replies.