This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
August 6, 2019 at 11:17 am #4346743

craigS-15

Hi Itamar,

I think we've made some progress on the issue above, however this has led us to a different issue. When a page has a translation enabled, it seems to lose a lot of its styling.

For example, if you take a look at our live site here:
hidden link

And compare it to our staging site here:
hidden link

(Staging site credentials are username:dev, password:letmein)

You'll see some of the styling is missing. If i delete the translated page that corresponds with this, we get the styling back. This seems to happen on every page that's translated, not just this example.

Is lost styling a common issue on translated pages and is this something you could help with?

Thanks

August 6, 2019 at 11:28 am #4346767

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

In our forum, we try to keep one issue per ticket.
Continuing with one ticket per issue helps not only supporters to focus on one issue at once, but also enables other users to find solutions to their questions faster. Therefore, I've split the other ticket and created a new ticket with this issue.

I can see the difference between the live site and the translated site. This is happening with English, which is the default language of the site. Was this post created in Chinese and then translated into English?

You ask: "Is lost styling a common issue on translated pages, and is this something you could help with?"
Sometimes I have to deal with lost styling issues, but if things are followed according to our instructions, then both the original page and its translation should look the same. You are using the Divi theme and its builder to build your pages.
Is this correct?
If so, then please follow our instructions on how to use WPML and the Divi theme.
https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/divi-builder/
Please note that you are on our Multilingual Blog package which does not contain the String Translation and Translation Management add-ons which are required for working with Divi.
If you want you can upgrade your package and pay only the difference.

Regards,
Itamar.

August 6, 2019 at 11:46 am #4346901

craigS-15

Hi Itamar, ok thanks for creating a new post for me, apologies for not doing that.

The page was created in English first, then translated into Chinese. However even without any Chinese content added in (so just the content brought over fro the English page) the styling is lost to some degree. Do you think upgrading and using the String Translation and Management addons will solve this for us?

Thanks

August 7, 2019 at 9:15 am #4353051

Itamar
Supporter

Hi,

I can see a difference between the two sites in the room details and price section.
On hidden link, I see this. Please see the attached screenshot original-room.jpg
And on hidden link I see this. Please see the attached screenshot staging-room.jpg
Are those the styling differences that you talk about?
Please attach some screenshots if needed.

I need to understand the issue. So please let me ask you this.
If you deactivate WPML or delete the Chinese translation on the staging site here hidden link then again it looks like the page here hidden link?
Is this correct?

Regards,
Itamar.

August 7, 2019 at 9:41 am #4353261

craigS-15

Hi Itamar,

I'm sorry i can't see your screenshot, however i've uploaded a few myself with notes. It's basically all heading styles on the site that seem to be missing when the plugin is installed as well as some spacing and layout styles. This is occurring on staging on pages that haven't been translated too, for example the gallery page, which has lost its heading styles. When the plugin is deactivated the styles return.

On the screenshot i've attached for the standard room you'll notice the layout is slightly different on the staging site as the price is sat beside the text, whereas on the live site it's sat below the text. There's also a slightly darker box around the content on staging that isn't there on dev.

I think something is blocking certain css styles from coming through, but i've no idea where to even start with something like that.

On a side note I'm happy to upgrade the plugin to get the strings and translation management if these are needed for Divi.

Thanks

August 7, 2019 at 11:08 am #4354165

Itamar
Supporter

Hi,

I'm sorry for forgetting to attach the screenshots. They are attached now. Your description is explaining that this is the differences that I see.

You wrote: "On a side note I'm happy to upgrade the plugin to get the strings and translation management if these are needed for Divi."
String Translation and Translation Management are needed when working with WPML and Divi. It is stated in our documentation here.
https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/divi-builder/
But whether enabling those add-ons on your site would solve the styling issue that you have, I cannot say. Our purchase policy states that you can a refund for your money within 30 days from the purchase. https://wpml.org/purchase/refunds-policy/. But I'm not sure about an upgrade from Blog to CMS or Agency. Please use the pre-sale section of our site to ask about it.
https://wpml.org/purchase/pre-sales-questions/
If you can get a refund, then you can upgrade and see what happens.

In any case, I'm obligated to continue helping you on this issue. I've just checked our Divi and WPML test site. I've examined a page on this site when WPML is active and then when it is not active. And I couldn't see any styling differences when WPML is active and when it is not.

To continue debugging this issue, please proceed with the following. I suspect that there is a collision with the theme or another plugin that might cause this problem. Maybe it is an issue with the Divi Overlays that you are using. If possible, get your site into a minimum environment. Minimum environment, in this specific case, means deactivating all third-party plugins. You would need to leave the Divi theme active and in the plugins section, only WPML Multilingual CMS should be active.
Is it possible for you to try it?
Then please check if the problem persists. If it does not persist, so start by activating the plugins one by one and check when the problem comes back, then report to me which was the culprit plugin.

**** Important! Please make a full site backup (files and DB) before you proceed with those steps****

Also, please make sure that everything is updated, WordPress, WPML, and Divi.

Thanks,
Itamar.

August 7, 2019 at 11:10 am #4354169

craigS-15

Hi Itamar,

no problem, i'll give that a try today and will report back.

Thanks for your help

Cheers
Craig

August 7, 2019 at 12:44 pm #4355219

Itamar
Supporter

Great. I'll wait for your reply, Craig.

The topic ‘[Closed] Split: When a page has a translation enabled, it seems to lose a lot of its styling’ is closed to new replies.