This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

Already translated products lose the translation when updating the original product.

Solution:

This issue was caused by the Enhanced Category Pages plugin. This plugin has not been updated for two years and only tested up to WordPress version 4.5.13. It is recommended not to use it.

Relevant Documentation:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/enhanced-category-pages/

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 2 years ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
May 21, 2018 at 1:51 pm #2201703

Alex Paulsen

Hi, Itamar,

Thanks for the update, I'll keep an eye on my e-mail for replay.

Meanwhile, I've come across another issue about the Swedish translations, that I would like your to check out.

When updating a Swedish translation in 'WooCommerce Multilingual', and 'Save and close' it, the translation disappears. The '+' is showing at the 'WooCommerce Multilingual' product-overview, as if there never was a translation at all. When I click the + to open it, the updated description from before is still there, but most of the meta-data (alt-tags, keyword entry, meta description) is gone and has to be entered again. When clicking 'Save and close' again, the translation is updated and works.

This happens every time a Swedish translation is updated.

Beware:
When testing this on your test-site, it is important that you remove the text in the product category section at the bottom of the translation management screen, before you click 'Save and close'. Otherwhise, this will trigger a bug between WPML and the plugin 'Enhanced Category Pages', which causes the content of the translation will be outputted to the category page instead of the product page. I've previously created support tickets about this issue.

I appreciate your efforts to get the bottom of these issues.

Best regards,
Alex

May 21, 2018 at 2:06 pm #2201858

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi, Alex.

I've split this ticket to a new ticket because this is another issue that you bring up.

On your site's copy on my local server, I cannot replicate this problem.
Here is what I do.
1. I go to WooCommerce -> WooCommerce Multilingual.
2. I press to edit one of the existing Swedish (sv-SE) translations. Please see attached screenshot.
3. I update a few fields.
4. I erase the translation in the 'Produktkategorier ' section, and I save.
5. Then I can see that pencil icon and not the plus (+) icon as you describe.
I cannot replicate the issue with your site's snapshot on my local server.
Am I following the right steps?
If not, then please tell me exactly which steps I should follow.

Thanks,
Itamar.

May 22, 2018 at 2:19 pm #2208828

Alex Paulsen

Hi Itamar,

It seems to me, you are doing it right. I will do another test tomorrow on the same product you've tested here, and see how ti turns out for me.

Best regards,
Alex

May 22, 2018 at 4:19 pm #2210328

Itamar
Supporter

Ok, Alex, I'll wait for your reply here.

May 23, 2018 at 7:41 am #2212976

Alex Paulsen

Hi Itamar,

I need to correct myself. This issue is seemingly only affecting the products, that were translated, when creating the Swedish language. The test you made was on one of the products, that was added later, and it apparently doesn't trigger the error.

However, I managed to trigger the error again from one of the products a little further down the list. Please see the enclosed screenshots to see the process, and test it on your end too.

The product 'Universal glasplade' and downwards are products, that was translated when creating the Swedish language. They trigger the error.
The first 5 products on the 'WooCommerce Multilingual' list were added later, and apparently doesn't trigger the error.

Best regards,
Alex

May 24, 2018 at 10:59 am #2221876

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Alex and thanks for the extra details and screenshots.

Now I can see the issue on your site's copy on my local server. I think that it is happening only with the products that belong to the Tilbehør category. And it might be related to the issue that you have mentioned, and that is being handled in another ticket.

In any case, I've noticed that if I edit the translation the second time this issue does not occur. The pencil icon stays, and I'm not getting the plus (+) icon.
Can you check it and see if it is true, please?
If so, then would that be a good solution for you, updating the product once more?

I look forward to your reply!

Thanks,
Itamar.

June 1, 2018 at 7:23 am #2259744

Alex Paulsen

Hi Itamar,

I'm aware, that if you update the translation twice, meaning that you re-enter the missing data and save again, the translation is saved correctly. So in that sense, yes, I can update the swedish translations just fine, but I have to do it twice every time.

The problem is, though, that the owner of this website also does some content management on it. I would hate to have to tell him, that he has to translate Swedish product twice.

By the way, I just did another test on a random product from another category than Tilbehør, Scan-Line 20b. The same error occurred again, so this is not specific to the Tilbehør-category.

Best regards,
Alex Paulsen

June 3, 2018 at 11:16 am #2265437

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Alex.

When I check the 'Scan-Line 20b' product on your site's copy, I can see the issue.
The issue seems related to the 'Enhanced Category Pages' because when I deactivate this plugin the issue is not occurring anymore.
Can you please confirm this?
Can you also send me the link to the other ticket where the 'Enhanced Category Pages' issue was handled and report to me here what the situation is with this issue?

Thanks,
Itamar.

June 4, 2018 at 1:49 pm #2269314

Alex Paulsen

Hello Itamar,

Here is a link to the previous ticket, however, this is mostly about the workaround of not entering the product category when translating a product, to circumvent the bug between WPML and Enhanced Category Pages.

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/when-saving-translation-of-a-product-the-url-created-is-wrong/

I will get around to conducting the test soon and get be to you.

Best regards,
Alex

June 5, 2018 at 11:32 am #2274726

Itamar
Supporter

OK, Alex, I'll wait for your reply here.

Best Regards,
Itamar.

June 15, 2018 at 1:12 pm #2415651

Alex Paulsen

Hi Itamar,

Sorry for the wait, I have many sites to manage besides this one.

I did a test-translation on a few Swedish products with Enhanced Category Pages-plugin disabled. This does seem to prevent the missing-data-issue from occuring, although it is definitely not the solution I was hoping, since my customer (who knows nothing about web-development) is also managing content and translations for the website.

Is this the only current solution to this issue? So I have to make my customer accept, that this is an error, I have no means of preventing, unless he follows this procedure? Is there any chance of WPML collaborating with the authors of Enhanced Category Pages to optimize the compatibility?

Best regards,

Alex

June 18, 2018 at 6:45 pm #2420162

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Alex.

With your site's copy on my local server, I've just update WPML and its add-ons including WooCommerce Multilingual to their latest version (WPML 4.0.3, WooCommerce Multilingual 4.3). I also update WooCommerce to its latest version (3.4.2). Then I've followed once more the following procedure which had triggered the error. I've tried it on the Scan-Line 20B product that we have discussed about it here and that we saw that is triggering the issue.
1. I go to WooCommerce -> WooCommerce Multilingual.
2. I press to edit the Scan-Line 20B product existing Swedish (sv-SE) translations.
3. I update a few fields.
4. I erase the translation in the 'Varmelagringsovne', 'Bageovn' section, and I save.
5. Then I can see that pencil icon and not the plus (+) icon. Please see attached screenshot.
So it seems that updating the above for the latest versions improves this issue.
I would like to recommend you to update everything on your site and check if it also improves this issue on your site.

**** Important! Please make a full site backup (files and DB) before you proceed with those steps****

You also requested this: "Is there any chance of WPML collaborating with the authors of Enhanced Category Pages to optimize the compatibility?"
Our compatibility team cooperates with themes and plugins authors on a daily basis in order of making their theme or plugin compatible. But we have a ground rule for that, and that rule is that the plugin needs to be maintained by the author and compatible with the latest version of WordPress. Unfortunately, this is not the case with the Enhanced Category Pages plugin. This plugin has not been updated for two years and only tested up to WordPress version 4.5.13.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/enhanced-category-pages/
It certainly seems unmaintained, so I'm sorry, but our compatibility team cannot make the effort of trying to make it compatible.

I hope that you can understand that.

Best Regards,
Itamar.

June 25, 2018 at 7:48 am #2431846

Alex Paulsen

Hi, Itamar,

I understand the argument about not supporting non-maintained plugins.

I will try and test your procedure after the next round of updates for the webiste, and get back to you with the results.

Best regards,
Alex

June 25, 2018 at 7:55 am #2431856

Itamar
Supporter

Thanks for understanding, Alex.

I look forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
Itamar.

July 4, 2018 at 8:05 am #2460667

Alex Paulsen

Hello Itamar,

I just tested this again on a few swedish products, that needed to be updated anyway. The results are not consistent. On some products the translation remains at first attempt, on others it still has to be re-entered. I updated all plugins yesterday before testing this.

I have yet to determine the pattern, but I partly share your impression now, that it is somehow product category-related.

What I use Enhanced Category Pages for, is to have Visual Composer editing capabilities on WooCommerce's product category pages. However, since it appears that Enhanced Category Pages may be causing this, I may be better off looking for a better alternative. Wonder if you have a recommendation?

I'm closing this ticket. Thanks for your assistance. 🙂

BR,
Alex