Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Looks like some authors, due to not being able to give the correct format from the classic editor, have edited directly some post translations . So these posts were edited switching the language to catalan on the top bar and directly from Gutemberg blocks.

As expected, translation pairings are missing for these translations. The problem is that WPML adds the original language text (in spanish) when opening translations with classic editor. If pairings are missing, the right column fields should be empty. Instead, they are populated with the original language and checked, like if they were correctly translated, when they're not.

This is post is an example of this behaviour:

https://tta.marcjulia.com/safra-del-montsec/

As you, can see, the frontend in catalan is looking good now:

https://tta.marcjulia.com/ca/safra-del-montsec/

However, if you edit the translation with classic editor (clicking on the pencil icon) you'll see that translations are in spanish. It is easy to notice looking at the words Azafrán (saffron in spanish) and Safrà (saffron in catalan). If someone doesn't notice this, saving the translation will delete all catalan strings as they will be replaced with spanish ones.

Solution:
- Go to WPML -> Packages
- Search for the package correspondent to the pages id. For example, https://tta.marcjulia.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=358&action=edit&lang=es, the ID is in url (358)
- Select and delete it
- Then make a small modification to the Spanish content (like an extra space)
- Go to WPML -> Translation Management, resend the job to translation
- Open the translation and check if it works well now

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by M 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Mateus Getulio.

Author Posts
October 18, 2022 at 11:22 am #12260631

M

Also, a new "issue" has been reported today. Looks like some authors, due to not being able to give the correct format from the classic editor, have edited directly some post translations . So these posts were edited switching the language to catalan on the top bar and directly from Gutemberg blocks.

As expected, translation pairings are missing for these translations. The problem is that WPML adds the original language text (in spanish) when opening translations with classic editor. If pairings are missing, the right column fields should be empty. Instead, they are populated with the original language and checked, like if they were correctly translated, when they're not.

This is post is an example of this behaviour:

hidden link

As you, can see, the frontend in catalan is looking good now:

hidden link

However, if you edit the translation with classic editor (clicking on the pencil icon) you'll see that translations are in spanish. It is easy to notice looking at the words Azafrán (saffron in spanish) and Safrà (saffron in catalan). If someone doesn't notice this, saving the translation will delete all catalan strings as they will be replaced with spanish ones.

Thanks

October 18, 2022 at 4:12 pm #12263359

M

Image attachments from the issue first described on the split post

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/line-breaks-not-showing-in-translation-editor/

wpml-4.jpg
wpml-3.jpg
wpml-2.jpg
wpml-1.jpg
October 21, 2022 at 8:35 pm #12290121

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello there,

Thanks for your contact, I will be glad to help you 🙂

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this: hidden link

Please, let me know if you need any additional details. Have a nice day.

October 24, 2022 at 9:53 am #12299001

M

Hi Mateus,

Thanks for your help. You already have the wp-admin an FTP access credentials on the original support post:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/line-breaks-not-showing-in-translation-editor/

Is it possible for you to get them from this post or do you need me to provide them again?

Thanks in advance.

M

October 24, 2022 at 8:34 pm #12303237

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Hello M,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, it is not possible. The login data is deleted as soon as the topic is marked as resolved or closed: hidden link

I'm marking your next reply as private again, please keep us posted. Thanks!

October 25, 2022 at 2:27 pm #12308435

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Hi M,

Thank you for providing the website credentials.

We're already checking this issue, and as soon as possible we will provide you with updates. In the meantime, could you please show us more examples of posts having this problem?

Please let us know, and thanks in advance!

Regards,
Mateus.

October 25, 2022 at 3:50 pm #12309191

M

Hi Mateus,

You can see the issue also on this post:

Llum del cadí: hidden link

El Refugio de Cuberes: hidden link

From the post "La Vella de Romadriu" and the previous ones, translations are missing on the classic editor.

Thanks in advance.

M

October 25, 2022 at 7:42 pm #12310291

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Hello again M,

Thanks for your reply.

We need to clarify a few things. When you say:

So these posts were edited switching the language to catalan on the top bar and directly from Gutemberg blocks.

#1 By chance, the translators duplicated the Spanish version to the Catalan page, and then started to translate from this content? If this is the case, I'm afraid that the behavior we're facing here is expected.

#2 Or, the Catalan translations already existed, and they were just updating them?

If possible, please go to this page: hidden link, repeat the same workflow used in the mentioned pages and let us know what was the exact step-by-step followed.

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks!

October 26, 2022 at 8:04 am #12312555

M

Hi Mateus,

Thank you for your quick reply.

We are on the #2 scenario. I understand that translation pairings are likely to be lost when editing this way. Authors edited this way due to an issue with formatting (missing line breaks) that is solved now.

I couldn't replicate the issue on the "testing" post, it works as expected now for new posts. These are the steps I followed to test it:

hidden link

As expected, changes made when editing the translation directly from gutenberg are not paired when opening the translation on the classic editor. The added "xxx" are missing, and I understand that this is the expected behaviour.

The issue with the posts like:

hidden link

hidden link

hidden link

Is that when editing the translation with the classic editor the translation fields are populated with the original language in spanish. As you can see, this is not the same behaviour as new posts like testing. Catalan translations are completely missing, and what is even more a problem is that fields are populated with spanish content.

hidden link

Just to clarify: the issue only affects the gutenberg blocks.

As the <br> issue (this is a split ticket from the origina issue) is solved, authors are not likely to edit posts these way. However, as you can see, most of the older posts pairings are missing. I'm not sure why this happened and I'm pretty sure there is no easy solution to solve this.

Thank you for your patience.

Obrigado

October 26, 2022 at 8:06 am #12312615

M

Hi Mateus,

Thank you for your quick reply.

We are on the #2 scenario. I understand that translation pairings are likely to be lost when editing this way. Authors edited this way due to an issue with formatting (missing line breaks) that is solved now.

I couldn't replicate the issue on the "testing" post, it works as expected now for new posts. These are the steps I followed to test it:

hidden link

As expected, changes made when editing the translation directly from gutenberg are not paired when opening the translation on the classic editor. The added "xxx" are missing, and I understand that this is the expected behaviour.

The issue with the posts like:

hidden link

hidden link

Is that when editing the translation with the classic editor the translation fields are populated with the original language in spanish. As you can see, this is not the same behaviour as new posts like testing. Catalan translations are completely missing, and what is even more a problem is that fields are populated with spanish content.

hidden link

Just to clarify: the issue only affects the gutenberg blocks.

As the <br> issue (this is a split ticket from the origina issue) is solved, authors are not likely to edit posts these way. However, as you can see, most of the older posts pairings are missing. I'm not sure why this happened and I'm pretty sure there is no easy solution to solve this.

Thank you for your patience.

Obrigado

October 26, 2022 at 1:50 pm #12315943

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Hello again,

Thanks a lot for the clarifications!

I have double-checked the problem, but so far I haven't been able to find a fix. I asked my colleagues to take a look to see if there's anything I'm missing.

I'll come back here as soon as one of them answers me (which shouldn't take long). Thanks in advance for your patience!

Regards,
Mateus.

October 26, 2022 at 8:58 pm #12318511

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Hello M,

Thanks for your kind patience.

We're trying to apply a possible solution, but the website seems to be a bit unstable: hidden link

Therefore, could you please try it on your end tell us the results? Just follow these steps:

- Go to WPML -> Packages
- Search for the package correspondent to the pages id. For example, hidden link, the ID is in url (358)
- Select and delete it
- Then make a small modification to the Spanish content (like an extra space)
- Go to WPML -> Translation Management, resend the job to translation
- Open the translation and check if it works well now

Please give it a try and let us know how it goes. Thank you!

October 27, 2022 at 8:30 am #12321355

M

Hi Mateus,

This is just a staging server but should work fine. Actually, I also noticed that dealing with that exact post id=358 took much longer time to process than any other post.

Also found these errors on the log this morning:

[27-Oct-2022 07:38:37 UTC] PHP Warning:  include(): Failed opening '.../sitepress-multilingual-cms/addons/wpml-page-builders/vendor/composer/../../classes/Integrations/Gutenberg/strings-in-block/class-base.php' for inclusion...
[27-Oct-2022 07:38:37 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Class 'WPML\PB\Gutenberg\StringsInBlock\Base' not found in...

I successfully managed to follow your suggested steps and now the translation fields in the classic editor are empty, the way it was expected.

I guess we must have to delete all the packages for these posts and resend the jobs to translation.

The important question here is if the current frontend translations will be lost. In this case, visiting the translation page in catalan worked (the one that was edited directly on gutenberg), although the translations on the classic editor are empty (see the screenshots).

hidden link

However, it took far more time to load than any other post, not sure how wpml deals with this scenario. This would be also a problem.

I understand that pairings are lost and can't be recovered, I just want to prevent mistakes if authors have to edit these post translations in the future.

Thanks

mateus-1.jpg
mateus-2.jpg
October 27, 2022 at 2:53 pm #12325393

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Hi M,

Thanks for your reply.

Answering the questions - first about the long load time in some posts. My best guess is that the 'Duplicate Post' plugin is causing it. We installed it in order to test other possible solutions, and just after this the website started to get unstable (sometimes triggering a 503 error). So, I'm afraid that the same issue is not happening in the live website, right? Probably by just deleting the plugin, it'll be solved in the staging.

Now, regarding this:

The important question here is if the current frontend translations will be lost. In this case, visiting the translation page in catalan worked (the one that was edited directly on gutenberg), although the translations on the classic editor are empty (see the screenshots).

No, they won't. What happened to the safra-del-montsec post should happen for the other ones. But as you said, "I understand that pairings are lost and can't be recovered", so your editors need to translate the whole page in CTE, if you are planning to use CTE again. If you opt to keep using Gutenberg to translate the posts, no worries as well.

Regardless, I recommend that you make a few more tests in the staging website (like delete the other packages, edit the translations, etc), before applying the same solution to the original website.

Please let me know if these explanations are clear to you and solve the questions. Thanks!

October 27, 2022 at 4:11 pm #12325911

M

Thank you Mateus for you patience and detailed explanations.

Everything is clear now, I'll follow your recommendations and do further testing on the stagaging site before deciding what to do on production.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

Obrigado

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.