Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by casperB-5 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Evan Zelezny-Green.

Author Posts
February 5, 2021 at 9:40 am #8014527

casperB-5

Hi WPML.

1) I have an issue on one of my clients' sites - when we're uploading the XLIFF files from the translator, it doesn't import 100% of the translated content. When I look in the XLIFF files everything is translated, but for some reason, it isn't showing or imported on the translated page.

EXAMPLE
hidden link

On this page, all the links have been correctly translated. But it's only some of the text that has been translated. If you go to the section at the bottom with Lyngdorf SDA-2175 and Lyngdorf TDAI-2200 you can see, that the test is written in Chinese. The translator has shown me the translation file, and everything is translated.

I have a lot of cases, where this happens. So what can I do?

2) I'm using the Theme Divi, which is one of the leading WP themes in the world. It doesn't update the links on translated pages if the link is on elements such as buttons, pictures and so on. So if I upload a translation of an English page into Chinese, it's not adding the Chinese language slug to the links. I've read some other support questions about this, and some have been resolved by ensuring, that the theme's compatibility was up to date (Dashboard -> Updates -> Themes compatibility with WPML) and then using the "Translate link targets" function. Everything is updated and looks fine, but still, it doesn't work.

February 5, 2021 at 3:06 pm #8018071

Evan Zelezny-Green

Hi @casperb-5,

I have split this ticket off so we can focus on the second question, why links are not being translated.

I see in the debug info that you do not have a translation editor configured. Because of this, the links will not be translated automatically. One solution is to enable the Advanced Translation Editor. Is that okay for you?

If so, could you please first configure the Advanced Translation Editor by going to WPML->Settings->How to translate posts and pages, then click “Use WPML Advanced Translation Editor” and then click “Save”.

Then please try going to the page in question with the wrong links, open the translation by going to “Language” in the sidebar and clicking on the icon next to Chinese, and it should open in the Advanced Editor.

Then try the procedure below to look for the links on the page and see if they are translated correctly to point to the correct link:
https://wpml.org/announcements/2020/02/translating-links-with-advanced-translation-editor/

Then save the translation and let me know if the links appear correctly.

Kind regards,
Evan

February 5, 2021 at 5:04 pm #8018991

casperB-5

Hi Evan

Thanks for your reply. So this made it possible for me to see the actual translated file, and give me the possibility to manual change links - but isn't there any solution to ensure that all internal links with the Chinese translation point to links with the Chinese language slug?

It seems pretty old-school if I have to manually update all links to do that. I've seen a bunch of threds about this in regards to Divi and WPML, but none of them had any explanation to how it was resolved.

February 6, 2021 at 2:02 pm #8022897

Evan Zelezny-Green

Hi @casperb-5,

We have had some interest from users to be able to use WPML Media Translation to translate documents like pdfs, etc. Our developers are aware of this desire.

At the present time, the only workaround I can offer you is to translate each link through the ATE as discussed above.

I am going to contact a developer to see what other feedback we can get and will get back to you in the next few days when I have some more information.

Kind regards,
Evan

February 7, 2021 at 1:46 pm #8025985

casperB-5

Hi Evan

Thanks for your reply. I just want to make sure, that we're working with the same problem 🙂 We're not looking to translate PDF's or so - we're just looking for a solution, that automatically adds the language slug to a URL, when a new translation is uploaded. The translator claims, that this isn't a part of the translation job, and that WPML should handle this. I don't know the best practice, so I'm looking to research if it's possible, and that the normal approach is?

February 10, 2021 at 12:22 pm #8051685

Evan Zelezny-Green

Hello @casperb-5,

In order to help you find a solution, I am trying to replicate the problem on a sandbox site. Could you please explain in detail how you created those links so that I can set up the same situation and find a solution? Screenshots showing how you created them would be helpful.

Kind regards,
Evan

February 10, 2021 at 4:27 pm #8054349

casperB-5

Hi Evan.

I made a video for you, which I hope explains it a little better than by using screenshots. You can view the video here - and if I'm missing anything just let me know, and I'll add some more.

hidden link

February 11, 2021 at 1:28 pm #8061747

Evan Zelezny-Green

Hello CasperB-5,

Thank you for your video; that really helped me to understand which links you were referring to.

I was able to get your links to work by doing the following:

1. I went to the target page of the button links (for example “Our history” is the target of a button on the home page). There, I clicked on the symbol next to Chinese to go to the translation editor. I filled in some dummy text for the translation for the sentences that were untranslated and pressed the green checkmark for each, then I pressed “Complete”.

2. Then I went to the page where the button is located (for example the home page in the above example), and did the same procedure.

So it seems you must update and save the translation on **both** the page where the button points to, as well as the page where the button is located. Once I did both of those, the link was working properly and included the language slug.

This might have occurred due to using different language editors. We have an article about that here:

https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/using-translations-from-other-sources-in-the-advanced-translation-editor/

You should be able to fix all the broken links by re-saving them in this way. Let me know if you have further difficulty with this.

Kind regards,
Evan

February 15, 2021 at 9:54 am #8085287

casperB-5

Hi Even

Thanks for your thorough explanation. I'll try it at the beginning of this week and then I'll reply back whether or not it worked.

February 16, 2021 at 3:47 pm #8098917

Evan Zelezny-Green

Hi @casperb-5,

Okay, I'll wait for your reply here in case you need more help with this issue.

Kind regards,
Evan

February 23, 2021 at 1:23 pm #8154483

casperB-5

Hi Even. This seemed to resolve the issue. Thank you!