This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
April 26, 2019 at 10:14 pm #3693481

meredithK

I'm trying to move one of my languages to its own site.

One issue I'm running into is that if I trash the specific language Pages, it trashes pages in some of my other languages which is not ideal.

If I disable the language, I show that the pages are orphaned ( not visible ). Is there a way to simply remove languages that are disabled or not visible?

April 29, 2019 at 7:30 am #3700565

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

Can you give me more information on what do you mean by this, as I am not sure what this refers to?

I'm trying to move one of my languages to its own site.

Is it perhaps related to this?
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 29, 2019 at 4:31 pm #3705613

meredithK

We have a few languages on our website with translations. One of the languages we want to "break off" into it's own website and remove it from WPML. So we want to move it out of the current website, out of WPML, and into its own WordPress install, its own website, with the translations, pages, and posts of that specific language kept intact.

The site has been duplicated. We made the language we want to move as the primary language. Now we want to remove all the other languages that we no longer need. The problem is that if we trash English pages it also gets removed from the Primary Language. If we remove all other languages from the "WPML -> Languages" page we have the correct amount of pages in our Primary Language but the pages in other languages are simply hidden not removed. Is there a way to remove these pages while keeping the Primary Language pages intact?

Hopefully that makes sense but if not we're happy to provide further clarification or answer any questions. Thank you for your help!

April 30, 2019 at 11:12 am #3710563

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

When you say:

So we want to move it out of the current website, out of WPML, and into its own WordPress install,

Can you tell me if you will be using WPML on that new site, or only content? Because if you need only posts and pages, have you considered resetting WPML there?

The 'Reset' action will deactivate the WPML plugin after it deletes the WPML tables (tables with the 'icl_' prefix) from the database. The action will NOT delete any content (posts, taxonomy terms etc.). It only affects translation and language information that WPML associates with each content type.

It is doable here:
WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting -> Reset

Regards,
Bruno Kos

The topic ‘[Closed] Splitting Language – Remove Old Entries’ is closed to new replies.