This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 2.92 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 22 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Ricardo Alday 2 years ago.

Assigned support staff: Ricardo Alday.

Author Posts
May 9, 2018 at 7:21 pm #2060462

grahamD

When we update the English version of pages which we have Chinese translations of - when we save the changes to the English page - WPML automatically overwrites the content of the translated Chinese version of the page - can we prevent this from happening please? We don't want updates to the English version of a page mean it overwrites the Chinese content in English - this is not good. Can you advise how we sort this please.

May 10, 2018 at 9:42 am #2068741

grahamD

Note - It seems the pages that are having this issue were duplicated rather clicking on the +/TRANSLATE button I think (we wanted the content formatting to come across from the original English version). But the issue is that the TRANSLATE INDEPENDENTLY button is not in view on the translated versions of the pages??? It may well have been on the firs edit of the new page - but it is no longer in view... ?? (see screenshot) So how can we un-sync the auto updates to the translated page from the original - how can we get this functionality back to be able to break this auto-update sync?

May 10, 2018 at 10:25 pm #2080136

Ricardo Alday

Hi,

Thanks for contacting support.
The issue you describe is most unusual. I have tried to replicate it on my local server without success. The fact that you don't see the "Translate independently" button indicates that the page is already independent of the original language.
Under "Screen Options" activate "Revisions" and go back to a revision where the page was still in Chinese.

Check if the issue persists after you deactivate any caching plugins.

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,
Ricardo

May 11, 2018 at 8:20 am #2083489

grahamD

Hi - The revisions are not working - there are no old versions of the page with Chinese content for some reason... Is there a way to amend in the database to make the page independent from its master?

May 12, 2018 at 12:09 am #2095070

Ricardo Alday

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue.
You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:

hidden link

Thanks,
Ricardo

May 14, 2018 at 3:19 pm #2123845

grahamD

Please note - to find one of the pages that has this overwrite issue - please edit the PORTFOLIO items and click to edit the English one titled "The Theory of Evolution - Walking in Darwin’s Footsteps" - please can you undo any content changes you make if you need to fiddle with any content.

May 14, 2018 at 9:16 pm #2127434

Ricardo Alday

Hi,

Thanks. I can replicate the issue on my local installation. I'll run some more tests and escalate this to our 2nd tier support if necessary. I'll keep you updated.

May 15, 2018 at 9:20 am #2133461

grahamD

Thanks Ricardo - be great to get this sorted ASAP. Cheers

May 15, 2018 at 5:03 pm #2145213

Ricardo Alday

I have escalated this to our 2nd tier support. On my tests, I was only able to replicate the problem on Portfolio posts. On regular posts and pages the problem does not happen. Is that the case on your site too?

May 15, 2018 at 8:59 pm #2147617

grahamD

Yes, seems to be the portfolio pages - I have not exhaustively tested pages and posts though to confirm this. But the issue is there on 2 portfolio posts titled "The Theory of Evolution - Walking in Darwin’s Footsteps" and "Napoleon & The Birth of Modern Europe" (as English pages).

May 16, 2018 at 10:34 am #2154998

grahamD

Hi - any update on a fix for this?

May 16, 2018 at 12:47 pm #2157150

grahamD

Client is reporting that they have seen issues on ALL portfolio pages having this overwrite issue - even happening when the English page had not been edited! Is there a way we can make them independent via the database perhaps? I need to get this resolved ASAP please // thanks

May 16, 2018 at 2:37 pm #2159943

Ricardo Alday

I understand. Our 2nd tier support is still investigating.

May 21, 2018 at 9:11 am #2199822

grahamD

Hi - Do you think there is a solution to this? We need to go live with the site ASAP - would perhaps creating the pages again and making sure the Chinese is a Duplication and then click on the Translate Independently button (assuming it appears) be a more timely solution perhaps?

May 21, 2018 at 3:46 pm #2202484

grahamD

Hi - it seems even if I create a new Portfolio page with TRANSLATE INDEPENDENTLY clicked - the English updates STILL overwrite the translated Chinese versions of the Visual Composer page content... Any ideas on a fix??

The topic ‘[Closed] Stop auto updates to translated pages’ is closed to new replies.