This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: #1 How to translate WooCommerce Store pages strings/contents #2 How to use the translation already available in .po files for WooCommerce

Solution: #1 WooCommerce store, my account, cart, checkout pages are shown using shortcode so to translate the content on this page you will need to go to WPML->String Translation and translate it to secondary languages.

#2 Please follow the below steps: - Go to WPML->Themes and Plugin Localization -> Localization options->Translate themes and plugins using WPML's String Translation and always load .mo files as backup - Now Go to WPML->Themes and Plugin Localization ->Strings in the plugins and scan the woocommerce plugin.

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/ https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/theme-localization/ https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/woocommerce-multilingual/

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by moritzW-3 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
July 31, 2019 at 4:30 am #4311435

moritzW-3

I think something went wrong during initial setup. store pages are marked as translated but the whole checkout process is still only in english. We had a go with string translation and translated bits and pieces here but I'm sure there must be a faster and more convenient way. When I click the translate button for any of the store pages in the page overview, I can always only ever translate a single string. Not at all how it looks in the tutorial. I unfortunately did not find a way to start over with the setup and I'm also afraid to completely start over as I don't want to lose all the translated products...
If someone could take a look, that would be great. I've been stumbling in the dark with this issue for a while now...

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Moritz

July 31, 2019 at 4:42 am #4311453

moritzW-3

Hi,
sorry, saw the chat just as it disappeared... 🙂
yes, I installed woocommerce multilingual and followed the instructions. all products, static pages etc. have successfully been translated, but the store pages, my account page, order confirmation mails etc. are all still monolingual.

July 31, 2019 at 5:13 am #4311493

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

WooCommerce store, my account, cart, checkout pages are shown using shortcode so to translate the content on this page you will need to go to WPML->String Translation and translate it to secondary languages. This is how it works.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

July 31, 2019 at 6:14 am #4311745

moritzW-3

Hi Shekhar,
thanks for the fast reply. I found this video: hidden link
It looks like a lot of the store pages were translated automatically, which makes sense, since there are a lot of translation files for woocommerce already available, including for Vietnamese: hidden link
Is there no way to levrage this? Do I really need to translate "cart", "shopping cart", "add to cart" "billing address"......... manually again?
Best regards,

Moritz

July 31, 2019 at 6:39 am #4311839

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

No, if the translations are available in .mo/.po files you will not need to translate it again.

Please follow the below steps and let me know if this helps.
- Go to WPML->Themes and Plugin Localization -> Localization options->Translate themes and plugins using WPML's String Translation and always load .mo files as backup

- Now Go to WPML->Themes and Plugin Localization ->Strings in the plugins and scan the woocommerce plugin.

This should fix the issue.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

July 31, 2019 at 7:07 am #4311993

moritzW-3

Hi Shekhar,

thanks for the reply. I tried this and it did not change anything. What I did then is I replaced the wp-content/languages/woocommerce/woocommerce-vi_VN.mo file with one that I downloaded from the woocommerce language repository that I mentioned earlier. And that did it! The new file is only half the size, so I have no clue what was wrong with the old one but this translated almost everything, including order confirmation mails etc. That's perfect!

Just wrote this down here in case someone else is stumbling over the same or a similar problem. I'm not sure how or when the .mo file was created but I believe it could have hapened while using the polylang to WPML conversion plugin. But that's pure speculation...

Thanks for the help and all the best,

Moritz

July 31, 2019 at 7:09 am #4312019

moritzW-3

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!