Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by shanyS 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
October 25, 2019 at 1:25 pm #4827219

T4ng

Some string translations quickly appear before disappearing for the original content, on frontend, since we updated WPML to the last version (4.3.1).
All our WPML plugins are up to date, all cache dispabled, OPcache cleared.

October 25, 2019 at 1:55 pm #4827351

T4ng

WPML String Translation version is 3.0.1.
Example of the code introducing a value, on which the problem occurs :

<?php echo esc_html_e( 'Origina value', 'domain' ); ?>
October 28, 2019 at 10:43 am #4838341

T4ng

Hi Laura,

We can give it a try on a dev environment, but before we do... Can you tell where this code comes from? What is it supposed to do better than the official code? Does it address an isolated issue?

So that if it works, we can serenly us it for production.

October 28, 2019 at 10:55 am #4838479

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+01:00)

Hi,

the fix was suggested by one of the 2nd tiers, and it worked for another client.

However, we should have a hotfix soon to address the issue.

October 29, 2019 at 5:14 pm #4850645

T4ng

Well, it doesn't solve anything here.

October 30, 2019 at 8:19 am #4853251

T4ng

A solution would be very appreciated.

October 30, 2019 at 10:21 am #4854535

T4ng

In case it helps... We tried checking "Look for Strings while page are rendered".
It actually seems to solve the problem... Until we stop the process manually, or wait for its completion: then, we get back to the issue.

October 30, 2019 at 1:33 pm #4856009

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi,

we just released WPML 4.3.2 which fixes a lot of issues, could you try to update and see if helps?

October 30, 2019 at 2:29 pm #4856373

T4ng

Updating to 4.3.2 doesn't solve the issue.

October 30, 2019 at 3:53 pm #4857541

Laura
Supporter

I created a test server for you in Cloudways (https://wpml.org/hosting-partner/cloudways/).

If it is OK with you, we can migrate your content there to further debugging without any risk on your end.
Also please tell me some string affected so I can better isolate the problem.

To do the migration please follow these simple steps:
-Install this plugin in your site: Cloudways WordPress Migrator (https://wordpress.org/plugins/bv-cloudways-automated-migration/)
-After you activate it you will be redirected to the migration form
-Fill it with this information:
--Email:
Your email here, as you will be notified about the migration progress.

--Destination Site URL:
wordpress-219772-1039958.cloudwaysapps.com

--Server Public IP Address:

--Database Name:
uqububgfvm

--Database User:
uqububgfvm

--Database Password:
h5rkNwJwTF

--SFTP User:
laura-482719

--SFTP Password:
Laura-482719

-Agree with the terms of service and click on "Migrate"

More information:
hidden link

You will get an email when the migration starts, and one when the migration ends.

Let me know when the migration is ready and I will check the issue in the test site immediately.

***The copy of your site will be online, but search engines won't index it (the copy) so you don't have to worry about duplicate content.***

***The information you share with us will be confidential. Once the problem is resolved the details you shared with us will be deleted from our records. ***
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

October 31, 2019 at 2:37 pm #4864885

T4ng

It's fixed.

We realized our problem was only occuring in French, and only for a specific plugin.

After quite some tests, we figured that , if at some point, we have imported a .po file for a language, the path to the file was added in the database to the table icl_mo_files_domains.

Since the update, WPML prioritizes the file in the database entry, over the .mo file generated from the database, in wp-content/languages/wpml. So that the translations made through String translations afterwards, were not used anymore.

Deleting the entries refering to these old imported .mo and .po files in icl_mo_files_domains solves the problem.

October 31, 2019 at 2:49 pm #4865063

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

thanks a lot for this insight, I admit we didn't think about this. Your comment will be useful for similar cases.

October 31, 2019 at 2:54 pm #4865155

T4ng

Quite an expensive insight on our end, though...

October 31, 2019 at 3:40 pm #4865719

Laura
Supporter

I'm sorry about that - since I was going to escalate the ticket we'd probably found it ourselves, but you were faster.

November 25, 2019 at 12:56 pm #5012205

shanyS

Will there be a fix for this in the next version so we don't have to manually delete the .mo entries?