Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 20 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by julianZ-4 1 year, 8 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
March 25, 2020 at 5:35 pm #5763231

julianZ-4

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I try to translate certain strings (Logo files) on my website. I translate these strings, because I can not change it in Theme Options when WPML is activated (Saving does not work..). When I deactivate WPML, I can change Theme Options without a problem. All works. As soon as I activate WPML again, the old files are in Theme Options again.

I have "translated" these strings in backend, but still, the not translated versions show up on the frontpage.

When I activate "Look for strings while pages are rendered" the translated/correct strings are showing up on the website.

I have tried to delete the strings and add them again, I have tried "Cleanup and optimize string tables", I have tried to deactivate and activate said strings under "Translate texts in admin screens »"
But nothing worked. What else can I do?

// When I deactivate WPML, correct logo is shown.

March 25, 2020 at 5:56 pm #5763281

julianZ-4

Add to this: All works. As soon as I activate WPML again, the old files are in Theme Options again. => With old files, I mean the "old" file urls which I can not change with activated WPML.

March 26, 2020 at 1:42 am #5764941

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello Julian,

Thank you for contacting the WPML Support Forum.

I can see this website is using the same theme like on this ticket which was opened by yourself:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/admin-options-translation-dont-work-after-update/

The last week was kind of hectic which for I have to apologize. Do you recall that I created a test-site to recreate the Rehub theme issue? Somehow, this server app got damaged and is not usable anymore.

I have now created a new test-site and would like to ask you again to install the theme there. I will use this site to escalate the issue reposted in this ticket together with the issue that is open, as they are both connected to theme options translations.

One-Click-Login:
hidden link

Leave me a short notification once the theme is installed and please provide me detailed steps to recreate the issue or recreate yourself if you find the time.

Kind regards
Andreas

March 26, 2020 at 7:07 am #5766285

julianZ-4

Hi Andreas

Thanks for your feedback.

hehe you remembered..

I don't think that these two are interconnected. Because on singlesdaydeals.ch, we use the old theme version of rehub, on which the translation of these logo files worked in the past.

Also, I don't have this old theme version to install unfortunately.

Maybe it's best if we do a clone of singlesdaydeals.ch to cloudways so you can investigate?

Best regards

Julian

March 26, 2020 at 5:27 pm #5772451

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi Julian,

Due to server load, I would prefer for now to take a copy of the website with Duplicator and see what I can do. What do you think?

I have enabled the private reply box in order to provide me with the credentials.

Could you please anyhow install the latest version of the theme onto the provided test-site? The compatibility team is asking me to recreate the issue from our second ticket again as for some reason my prior test-install got damaged.

Kind regards
Andreas

March 27, 2020 at 7:58 pm #5782479

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello Julian,

In fact, those theme options will need to be translated with String Translation.

There been two strings on String Translation that do have the logo URL as value, but translating them does not lead to a solution on Front-End. (See screenshot)

I found two additional strings in String Translation -> translate strings in admin_texts that belong to the Logo image source files.
(See screenshot).

Now, I am not able to add those strings but I could try using a custom XML config, but for this I need the plugin Translation Management enabled.

More about this here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/language-configuration-files/#admin-texts

Do you wish to use the same logo on both websites or do you have a special version for the French website?

I am currently installing a local version of your site for further investigation and I will contact you soon.

Kind regards
Andreas

Screenshot from 2020-03-27 15-51-31.png
Screenshot from 2020-03-27 15-40-19.png
March 28, 2020 at 1:48 am #5783189

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello Julian,

I am sorry for the delay but there are issues with downloading the Duplicator package from your server.

The download is very slow and times out constantly. I will try to have a look at this issue on the weekend once I have a copy of the site running and I will contact you soon.

Kind regards
Andreas

March 28, 2020 at 11:42 am #5784915

julianZ-4

Hi Andreas

Thanks for your response.

I have activated "Translation Management" plugin on this website. Yes, it should be the same logo in every language version. But the logo has different sizes depending on where it is showing.

Thanks a lot

Julian

March 31, 2020 at 2:57 am #5800609

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello Julian,

I do have a question here:

How was this Logo placed onto the translated header?

hidden link

My question is, did you make some changes to the theme´s template files to achieve that?

I was sadly not able to get a copy of your site running on Friday. I am about to set it up on localhost now and I will get back to you once I have results.

Kind regards
Andreas

March 31, 2020 at 8:09 am #5801749

julianZ-4

Hi Andreas

Thanks for your response.

I did a clone of another website of mine - that's why there is the Black Friday Logo.
But I did not update any theme templates in order to place the logo there (not on blackfridaydeals, not on singlesdaydeals). I just uploaded the logo in backend in theme options.

Best regards

Julian

April 1, 2020 at 6:47 am #5809905

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello Julian,

I am sadly quite unsure of what is causing this issue.

I am not able to locate the image seen as French Logo on String Translation.

Would it be possible to test if updating the parent theme solves the issue and if not checking if the issue persists when switching to the parent theme?

Also please install our plugin Yoast SEO Multilingual and make sure that all plugins are updated.

I took a copy of the site with Duplicator bt it seems there been database issues that made the migration of the site fail.

I can offer your to migrate a copy of the site for debugging towards our test server?

Also, you could take a backup of your site and database and try running the WPML -> Troubleshoot Options at WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting. Try running the options in the section "Clean Up" and the option "Cleanup and optimize string tables" at the bottom of the page.

Let me know about the results.

Kind regards
Andreas

April 1, 2020 at 8:47 am #5810831

julianZ-4

Hi Andreas

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to update parent theme as this takes a lot of time and is causing many issues that need to be solved. We tried it on another site of ours and it took almost a whole week of developer work to get it running..

I have installed this plugin - it did not change the logo.

I have also made a search & replace for the image-file in our database: Alltough the image-file does not exist anymore anywhere in our database, it still shows up in theme options and in frontend.

I think it would be a good idea to migrate a copy to your test server.

I did do the troubleshooting options you mentioned - no changes.

I strongly believe that it must have something to do with some caching of string-translation/WPML.

I also checked caching on our side: I fully deleted WP Super Cache: no result. I switched to developement mode on Cloudflare and deleted all Cloudflare cache: no change (alltough Cloudflare is not caching our backend at any time).

I have also deactivated all of our custom modifications, but no change, too.

Only thing that changes the logo to the correct one: Deactivate WPML or deactivate WPML-string-translation. As soon as I deactivate, the correct logo shows up.

Best regards

Julian

April 2, 2020 at 4:04 am #5818885

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Before we migrate the site, please could you explain why updating the parent theme is not an option?

Indeed, there should not be an issue with updating the parent theme as custom changes should be done only in the child theme. We can sadly not provide support for outdated components, in case the issue is theme related.

But I think you are right, as this seems to be a String Translation cache issue.

Please a backup of your site and database and try running the WPML -> Troubleshoot Options at WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting. Try running the options in the section "Clean Up" and especially the option "Cleanup and optimize string tables" at the bottom of the page.

This should solve the issue if it is WPML related in most cases.

After that go to WPML -> Theme and Plugin Localization and create new.mo-files. You should see the option in a dropdown at the top of the first box on the page. (white box: WPML has found new strings...)

In doubt, also scan the themes for new strings after running the WPML Troubleshoot options.

If you do not find the time for this task, or you do not wish to proceed with it on the live-site we can migrate first and test there. Let me know and I will send you server credentials tomorrow.

Let me know about the outcome.

Kind regards
Andreas

April 2, 2020 at 8:33 am #5820073

julianZ-4

Hi Andreas

The theme got a big update which changed a lot of functions and stuff. That's why it is not anymore compatible with all the customizations we did in child-theme. Changelog of theme "Important!!!: Please, note, automatic update will not work. You must update theme manually. Please, read about deprecated parts and how to update hidden link" But I'm pretty sure the problem has nothing to do with outdated theme.

I did do that already (I did only not do this: hidden link) but redid it now, and it did not help. Again, as soon as i tick "Look for strings while pages are rendered", the correct logo shows up. As soon as I untick, the wrong logo shows again.

Please send me the server credentials so I can start migrating.

Best regards

Julian

April 2, 2020 at 4:11 pm #5824699

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

I am writing to you to let you know that I just left you a private message in order to migrate a copy of your website to our test server.

Please leave me a short notification once the migration is completed.

Kind regards
Andreas