This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by niklasM-4 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
July 3, 2019 at 3:31 pm

niklasM-4

I am trying to: Display string translations in original language.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: Translated strings.

Instead, I got: String names.

I've searched around on how to use two languages and translate the strings in both languages and I read that use a random language as hidden. This have been working fine and I have other sites that it works on right atm. But suddenly after I changed domains on this site it stopped working. It works in one language but not in the other one.

July 3, 2019 at 9:59 pm #4139081

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thank you for contacting us. It seems to me that the content is correct. Typically the name of the strings is not the place to add the translated content. The correct one should be exactly the same text that is displayed on the plugin options page that you want to translate, appear for translation in WPML > String Translation (not the options name).

Also, when I try to access your site, it seems that the role of the user you defined was something other than administrator, so I can not access the backend (wp-admin). Please, could you check?

Thank you.

July 4, 2019 at 7:58 am #4140959

niklasM-4

Yes I understand that it's not the best way to do it.
But it's working fine on my other sites.

I forgot to make you admin, my bad.
Try again now 🙂

Regards,
Nick

July 5, 2019 at 4:18 pm #4152883

niklasM-4

How's the progress going?
My client is quite annoyed that it is not working properly.

Hope to hear back from you soon.

Regards,
Nick

July 5, 2019 at 5:43 pm #4153187

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello Nick,

Sorry for the delay. I saw the problem you're reporting. In fact, that definitely should not be the correct way to add those strings/translations. The correct one should be directly in the footer.php file add the string in English and translate it into the other languages.

Another option would be to uncheck the option to treat all site strings as being in English. For this, you can follow the steps below:

- Click on the Theme and Plugins localization
- Uncheck the "Assume that the original language of all strings is English" option
- Click on the save button
- On the WordPress menu, click on the WP Engine > General Settings
- Click on the "Purge All Caches" button

This will prevent your site's strings from being automatically treated as standard English-language strings.

Please, let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have about it. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.

July 6, 2019 at 8:06 am #4155321

niklasM-4

My issue is resolved now. Thank you for your help Bruno!

Best regards,
Nick